Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Past History Indicating Future Results ??

Default Past History Indicating Future Results ??

A few cases:
    Game changing end of the game out of bounds issues against UCLA, Butler and happened again this evening.
    -Curry lighting the Zags from outside.
    -J.Ferdette lighting the Zags from the outside.
    -Wichita State lighting the Zags from the outside.
    Some adjustment is necessary how to stop the perimeter 3's.
    All the above leading to loses that could have been wins.

But still this was a very very good bunch and tough to see it end like it did for them. Could have been Hart's best game but relying on three players, Kelly O.,Pangos and Harris to pull the scoring wagon is a load and Wichita knew where to focus defensively. Works fine for the the WCC but not against better teams. Even Southern was a struggle.
    I would think the team and staff are taking it hard, so no need to heap it on. The Staff and Team gave it everything they had. Couldn't ask for more.

It's been a broken record under Few. Good teams. Same ending every time.

I think i'd rather have a 13 seed next year. Give me hope more than expectations any day of the week.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoody View Post
    A few cases:
    Game changing end of the game out of bounds issues against UCLA, Butler and happened again this evening.
    -Curry lighting the Zags from outside.
    -J.Ferdette lighting the Zags from the outside.
    -Wichita State lighting the Zags from the outside.
    Some adjustment is necessary how to stop the perimeter 3's.
    All the above leading to loses that could have been wins.

But still this was a very very good bunch and tough to see it end like it did for them. Could have been Hart's best game but relying on three players, Kelly O.,Pangos and Harris to pull the scoring wagon is a load and Wichita knew where to focus defensively. Works fine for the the WCC but not against better teams. Even Southern was a struggle.
    I would think the team and staff are taking it hard, so no need to heap it on. The Staff and Team gave it everything they had. Couldn't ask for more.
    You forgot the Syracuse 3 pt barrage in the tourney a couple of years ago but I get your point.

Zagco would like to see Few address these issues head on. They are obvious to everyone else. Do you think he does not see them? Best thing would be to address them head on. Zagco has seen coaches do that and it comes cross great.

it wont change until. then again the devil u know wins....

Maybe they're taking it hard, but to what end? They seem to ignore the cause of the pain until it goes away. Ignoring a problem year after year does no one any good. Maybe gu just doesn't have great athletes, and that is what gets exposed in march, but it seems to hinge on 3 point defense every time. If this was the most "cerebral" team few has ever coached and they couldnt be taught to address the problem, then either the players don't have the talent or they arent being taught the correct approach. I would appreciate insight from those close to the program. How does gu continually fail in this regard?

The definition of insanity? Anyone?

Its not the quality of the players. GU has more guys in the NBA than Butler and a lot of schools it often loses too, such as Marys and BYU. Draw your own conclusions. Few gets us 26-28 wins a year. Thats his maginot line. someone else might do better or far worse. it is, what it is.

Few preached nastiness in November but then forgot about it in March. Few reverted back to his old self and the entire team followed right in line.

Few needs to get nasty himself and stop this habitual self-inflicted post season collapse.

It is on Few to know that he has to up his game.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Quote Originally Posted by HOOTER View Post
    The definition of insanity? Anyone?
    Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. BOOM.

Can't few hire someone with a defensive bent to help? Anyone with any self awareness knows their own shortcomings, let alone someone whose team has been embarrassed year after year on national television by the same flaw. maybe coach ray will get a head coaching job and that can be used as an excuse.

After being destroyed on the boards by Mich St in the tourney 10 or so yrs ago, Few & Zags had a culture change regarding rebounds. I wonder if a culture change will come that addresses 3pt D &/or tourney strategy. My hopes aren't high, but Few has decided to foul when up 3, so anythings possible.

Still enjoyed this season immensely 98% of the time.
    youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Quote Originally Posted by lothar98zag View Post
    And I'm sure we'll enjoy next season 98% of the time, just like last season and the season before.

+10000000000000000000

98% I did, but march brings more sadness.
    Love the zags for life

Default And....

Let's not forget the proverbial "deer in the headlights" moment on offense at the 4+ minute mark, where the entire team stood still waiting for Mark to call the play - for nearly half the shot clock. This too is a déjàvu thing for Mark. It sure starts at three point line on defense, but our offense over the years under Mark has been painful to watch during the last 5 minutes of games where we are ahead. Absolutely painful in March when one loss sends teams packing. I pray he solves this.
    montanazag88
    P....A....TIENCE!

All I gotta say is that's one big frickin hump.

Quote Originally Posted by gonwick View Post
    Maybe they're taking it hard, but to what end? They seem to ignore the cause of the pain until it goes away. Ignoring a problem year after year does no one any good. Maybe gu just doesn't have great athletes, and that is what gets exposed in march, but it seems to hinge on 3 point defense every time. If this was the most "cerebral" team few has ever coached and they couldnt be taught to address the problem, then either the players don't have the talent or they arent being taught the correct approach. I would appreciate insight from those close to the program. How does gu continually fail in this regard?
    Lets try and understand that there is no "special D" to defend the 3...go look at replays of their 3's..most were contested as well as expected....I love how people say defending the 3 is some sort of coaching issue...they frickin hit 60% of their 3's!!! go look at other games played in tourney and 3's taken...they are similar looks that WSU had...If any damn team can shoot contested 3's that well they are going to win...what are you advocating? to play so close they go around you? quicker guards could help some but that is totally different issue and changes with different recruits...

come on, lets have some basic basketball sense..

so sick of this. few = high floor, low ceiling

Quote Originally Posted by mihalevich View Post
    Lets try and understand that there is no "special D" to defend the 3...go look at replays of their 3's..most were contested as well as expected....I love how people say defending the 3 is some sort of coaching issue...they frickin hit 60% of their 3's!!! go look at other games played in tourney and 3's taken...they are similar looks that WSU had...If any damn team can shoot contested 3's that well they are going to win...what are you advocating? to play so close they go around you? quicker guards could help some but that is totally different issue and changes with different recruits...

if the threes are all contested then why do teams seem to always hit contested threes against only us and no one else?

1. Thanks for the great season Zags. It was a ton of fun.
    2. We will never be able to gauge how good this team really is as long as the second half of the season is played against one inferior opponent after another. We can debate whether or not we should leave the WCC or whatever the solution might be, but the lack of information on how good GU is relative to other teams is an inevitability in March.

Quote Originally Posted by bostonzagfan View Post
    if the threes are all contested then why do teams seem to always hit contested threes against only us and no one else?
    If I am remembering correctly SMC and BYU missed a lot of 3 pointers that looked similar to the ones WSU was hitting tonight. Most were not wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by lothar98zag View Post
    after being destroyed on the boards by mich st in the tourney 10 or so yrs ago, few & zags had a culture change regarding rebounds. I wonder if a culture change will come that addresses 3pt d &/or tourney strategy. My hopes aren't high, but few has decided to foul when up 3, so anythings possible.

+1000000
    You're Scotch man! Time to get pissed.
    http://twitter.com/smmclean/zags

I guess maybe i need someone to explain it to me, lacking basic basketball sense, how gu manages to bring out the best in teams in 3 point shooting year after year. Freakish statistical anomaly? That appears to be what you are advocating, rather than a tangible item (sagging off perimeter players, short wings, missing rotations, etc.)... Is it likelier that we would be done in by the same problem year after year because of bad luck or because we are doing something consistently wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by mihalevich View Post

Go look at the "contested" 3s. kskn22 sports showed 6 3s by wsu. 1 was guarded by DS. The others were wide open off of sagging and doubling down.
    Love the zags for life