Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zags vs Shox.

Default Zags vs Shox.

We beat Southern. We fought contested 3pt shots & questionable officiating all game long.

Survived.

THUS,

Its Wichita St time.

Lighting quick guards, giant, strong - albeit raw - bigs down low. athletes at every position. WSU looks to dribble-drive and draw fouls on EVERY single possession. They will run. They are one of the top offensive rebounding teams in the country.

How do we stack up?

Question is -- who do we play at the 3 spot this game? Mike Hart struggled mightily today on defense and was taken out after 3 straight possessions of giving up the dribble-drive. Southern actually keyed in on him most of his mins.

Considering we'll be facing the most athletic team we've faced all season, will we see GLE at SF? Few might not have a choice if Hart can't contain the dribble again.

Wichita prides itself on their ability to penetrate.

More 3-guard lineups of Pangos, Bell, Stocks? This was the case for 90% of the game vs Southern...will we follow suit?

Personally, I hope we create a new game plan, b/c we need a new game plan vs this type of team.

In addition 6 mins for Dower and only 4 mins from Karnowski isn't going to get it done down the stretch.

More productive mins from our bench, not named Stocks. David made terrific plays, yet his lineup gets taken to the woodshed defensively.

Honestly, given this particular match-up, Guy Landry wouldn't be a bad call. It might be his time.

What say you?

Default I say...

this looks a lot like the Kansas State team we played in Seattle.

I thought DS was the key to this game. I didn't see him getting abused defensively at all. Quite the contrary, I thought his ability to double team and create some havoc doing so was one of the differneces in the game. Also, ran the pick and roll amazingly and got the ball to the right people.

I thought Pangos struggled defensively and MH was not on the court because he wouldn't even look at the rim and we were having trouble scoring in the first half.

Moving on...

Wichita St = Southern U. on steroids.

Honestly, outside of Louisville, VCU, Florida, and maybe Mizzou, I can't think of a worse, more horrifying match-up for the Zags defense/offense.

WSU pressures opposing guards well past the 3pt line, dribble drives relentlessly, and crashes the offensive boards better than 95% of teams in NCAA.

All Zag weaknesses or struggles to some extent.

After watching their game vs Creighton a week ago and their game vs Pitt today, this is a nightmare in terms of pure match-ups.

They have size underneath, yes raw, but athletic, mean, big, not afraid to foul and foul hard. Their guards are in attack mode all game on both sides of the ball. They have 3 Gary Bell-esque players on defense. or more athletic Mike Harts on the boards.

WSU has the personnel to neutralize our bigs, or at least frustrate them, and the guards to take advantage of our on-ball defense.

Pitt is/was known as a very solid perimeter defensive team and they got lit up by Wich St off the dribble. Not a good sign, imho.

It will take an all-out effort for us to win. A very good shooting night as well.

Refs need to allow us, especially our bigs to play their dribble game. The moment Elias or Kelly dribbled, the officials couldn't help but blow their whistle, they weren't used to their styles. Either a TO, travel, 3 second, or offensive foul. Than cannot happen again.

Looking at the field, I cannot list more than 2 or 3 teams that is a worse match-up for our Zags, no kidding.

IF we find a way to win, I like our next two games vs Wisc/K-State/Ohio St/etc much MUCH better than this game and not joking about that either.

The Shox are the antithesis type team to us.
    “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.

Won't be able to play center field and gamble off a single player against ws. Need good solid on ball defense and solid off ball rotation
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Assuming we are back to our normal selves and not a repeat of what we just saw, think we should win convincingly. They play tough D, might be kinda like what we saw at BYU, but we should pull it out.

Only thing I have to go by was that we beat St Marys 3 times, who easily handled Creighton, who easily handled Wichita State. Means we should win right? Pretty sure I learned that in a math class somewhere.

Didn't see Creighton beat them. How did they do it? That may hold the key.

Quote Originally Posted by whatazag View Post
    Assuming we are back to our normal selves and not a repeat of what we just saw, think we should win convincingly. They play tough D, might be kinda like what we saw at BYU, but we should pull it out.

Only thing I have to go by was that we beat St Marys 3 times, who easily handled Creighton, who easily handled Wichita State. Means we should win right? Pretty sure I learned that in a math class somewhere.
    I wouldn't normally do this, but I'll go with your math this time because I like the outcome.

But seriously, I think the Zags really weren't themselves, and the officiating really did stink. All this considered I think the next game will be much better.

I wouldn't mind different announcers also. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia Zags Fan View Post
    Didn't see Creighton beat them. How did they do it? That may hold the key.
    IIRC Creighton didn't win by pounding it in the middle, but then again McDermott is not as much of a banger as KO is. McDermott wasn't his stellar self either, scoring just 14 pts that game. They made the most of their outside game, hitting 11 3's. I just remember WSU's dreads-haired player driving and driving, getting fouled, with and1 followed by and1, which was frustrating. Guards have to be ready to shoot from beyond the arc. Creighton's defensive ability pales in comparison to ours though, so I like our chances.

They have beaten Creighton by 3 and lost to Creighton by 3. I saw them beat Creighton. Wichita is energetic and athletic, but perhaps a little less crafty than the Zags. We do well in running games.

Quote Originally Posted by HOOTER View Post
    I wouldn't normally do this, but I'll go with your math this time because I like the outcome.

But seriously, I think the Zags really weren't themselves, and the officiating really did stink. All this considered I think the next game will be much better.

I wouldn't mind different announcers also. Just sayin'.

Hooter,
    I have to agree with you. Between the insanity of the calls and the insults and uninformed remarks from the announcers, watching this game was torture. Gottlieb Gotta Go.

....have any of you seen my bankamerica card today?

I think it was Seth Greenberg who commented that Southern was more athletic than Wichita State and the Zags should do fine against them
    Failure isn't fatal. Failure to change might be.
    Coach John R. Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    They have beaten Creighton by 3 and lost to Creighton by 3. I saw them beat Creighton. Wichita is energetic and athletic, but perhaps a little less crafty than the Zags. We do well in running games.
    And lost by twelve also.

Quote Originally Posted by BJZags View Post
    I think it was Seth Greenberg who commented that Southern was more athletic than Wichita State and the Zags should do fine against them
    When it comes to this team, Seth is wrong. I think Wichita is a just plain scary team. The trouble is that they are very inconsistent......except in one department ...defense and rebounding..especially offensive boards. Creighton beat them by scoring 91. Doug had a spectacular game.
    We best have our track shoes on and .......We best be rebounding 10 times better than today. If we don't we'll be crushed by 20.

Can we all agree to stop calling them "WSU?" You're killing my brain!

THE SHOCKERS I think are going to be defensively just as hard as Southern athetically, but I doubt they make the shots that southern did. I see us controlling a bit more.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Zags win.
    I miss Mike Hart

2 Questions:

1. Same refs Saturday?

2. Which of these is needed:

a: Flip the switch and snap back to the team we saw in Feb

b: Take a deep breath, smile, have fun and play loose
    Gonzaga Basketball
    Exhibiting Character Since 1907

Quote Originally Posted by McZag View Post

1. Same refs Saturday?
    No, god, no

Default Just Snooped the Shocks Board

They are very proud of their defensive effort today. They expect a low scoring, half court style game Saturday. The were not impressed with EH and think they can keep KO out of the paint.

Overall, the Pitt win has gone to their head. Time for the Zags to get mad. Real mad.
    Gonzaga Basketball
    Exhibiting Character Since 1907

Link to thei rboard McZag?

Default this

Quote Originally Posted by BJZags View Post
    I think so...rusty...kind of reminds me of the game against LMU... came out flat but won it...hammered the Gaels in the next game...to bad Wichita... your not in Kansas anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by Baldwinzag View Post
    Bravo

Quote Originally Posted by Baldwinzag View Post
    Moving on...

Wichita St = Southern U. on steroids.

Honestly, outside of Louisville, VCU, Florida, and maybe Mizzou, I can't think of a worse, more horrifying match-up for the Zags defense/offense.

WSU pressures opposing guards well past the 3pt line, dribble drives relentlessly, and crashes the offensive boards better than 95% of teams in NCAA.

All Zag weaknesses or struggles to some extent.

After watching their game vs Creighton a week ago and their game vs Pitt today, this is a nightmare in terms of pure match-ups.

They have size underneath, yes raw, but athletic, mean, big, not afraid to foul and foul hard. Their guards are in attack mode all game on both sides of the ball. They have 3 Gary Bell-esque players on defense. or more athletic Mike Harts on the boards.

WSU has the personnel to neutralize our bigs, or at least frustrate them, and the guards to take advantage of our on-ball defense.

Pitt is/was known as a very solid perimeter defensive team and they got lit up by Wich St off the dribble. Not a good sign, imho.

It will take an all-out effort for us to win. A very good shooting night as well.

Refs need to allow us, especially our bigs to play their dribble game. The moment Elias or Kelly dribbled, the officials couldn't help but blow their whistle, they weren't used to their styles. Either a TO, travel, 3 second, or offensive foul. Than cannot happen again.

Looking at the field, I cannot list more than 2 or 3 teams that is a worse match-up for our Zags, no kidding.

IF we find a way to win, I like our next two games vs Wisc/K-State/Ohio St/etc much MUCH better than this game and not joking about that either.

The Shox are the antithesis type team to us.
    man, after reading this I don't feel so good.
    D.F.T.B.A

Quote Originally Posted by Just A Zag View Post
    nah, no worries, i dramatize everything...i let go of pre-game tension on this board, its cathartic for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Just A Zag View Post
    After watching them grind Pitt into the ground, I wasn't feeling so good.