Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Doug Gottlieb

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    131

    Default Doug Gottlieb

    My 'children' keep saying that he got kicked out of Notre Dame for stealing credit cards. Any truth to this ?

  2. #2

    Default

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Gottlieb

    During Gottlieb's freshman year, he was charged with stealing credit cards from a roommate and two others and fraudulently charging over $900 to those cards
    He's actually a pretty good in-game analyst, but he's a whole tool-shed in the studio.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,744

    Default

    Yep. From Wiki

    "After signing a national letter of intent with Notre Dame, Gottlieb was their starting point guard during the 1995-1996 college basketball season, starting all but the first four games and leading the team with 154 assists (against only 70 turnovers) as well as steals and minutes played. However, Gottlieb's stint at Notre Dame would be short. During Gottlieb's freshman year, he was charged with stealing credit cards from a roommate and two others and fraudulently charging over $900 to those cards; Gottlieb has since stated that, after paying back the $900, he was allowed to say he was leaving Notre Dame, when in fact he was expelled."

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Gottlieb
    Go Zags!!!

  4. #4
    ID ZAGFAN Guest

    Default

    Take this with a grain of salt, wikipedia is not always accurate.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Gottlieb


    If you google D. G. Notre Dame you get a whole bunch of hits--I only checked this one

    ZaGranny

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    680

    Default

    Agreed that Wikipedia is not always the most reliable. And if true that is very sad. With that said, that does not mean that people cannot change or grow. And it also does not relieve us from forgiving and giving folks a second chance.

    Now, I think his basketball comments are over the top and I really disagree with his analysis and manner of presentation. But that is probably why he is an analyst and not a coach.

  6. #6

    Default

    He did get caught using stolen credit cards and that did lead to his leaving Notre Dame. It is something that he has been very honest and open about as a TV and radio personality. He has owned up to his mistakes in a public forum, and admitted it is part of his past, and part of who he is. This is not something that is easy to do.

    I would hope that Zag fans will treat him with respect and and not choose to take low cheap shots at him, just because he has been tough on the Zags with his basketball comments.

    Let's stay classy Zag fans and rise above the fray that is so many other fan bases.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    477

    Default

    Wikipedia accuracy aside your children are correct. Gottlieb got kicked out of Notre Dame for stealing another students American Express card and using it for illicit purchases.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    14,327

    Default

    I like Doug. He has been favorable to GU in the past.

    He did switch from ESPN to CBS this year. Part of his act (like every talking head) is done to increase viewer/listenership. You think that's going to suffer if he gets apoplectic putting down a "mid-major?"
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    332

    Default

    FWIW he also tweeted this yesterday

    https://twitter.com/GottliebShow/sta...15898336055296

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Posts
    1,101

    Default Dougie

    Quote Originally Posted by ID ZAGFAN View Post
    Take this with a grain of salt, wikipedia is not always accurate.
    Probably not, but in this instance Wiki is right on the money. See for yourself by googling ("Doug Gottleib" "Notre Dame" "credit cards"). The New York Times and Chicago Tribune articles are particularly interesting.

    While checking Wiki I also came across the following, which is admittedly less reliable (being from the blogosphere), but perhaps even more telling in it's insight about good old Doug:

    "I was on a Notre Dame message board that I frequent, and I found a hilarious link to a Doug Gottlieb conversation on Scout.com. Gottlieb was a basketball player at Notre Dame. However, when he was a freshman, he stole his roomate's credit cards and racked up $900 in charges. He was kicked out of Notre Dame because of it. On Scout, some ND fans decided to poke a little fun at him. Here it is.

    "Mike Indiana: How did your mediocre basketball career prepare you for a mediocre broadcasting career?
    Doug Gottlieb: (4:04 PM ET ) So your mediocre life can prepare you for a mediocre afterlife...and by the way, which one of us works for ESPN... hey and next time...when I you say 30 minutes or less....get here on time with my pizza.
    John (Notre Dame): Doug, I lost my credit card, where were you last night?
    SportsNation Doug Gottlieb: (4:27 PM ET ) Ask your mom.
    Johns Mom (Notre Dame): GOTTLIEB I KNOW YOU STOLE MY SON'S CREDIT CARD!
    SportsNation Doug Gottlieb: (4:34 PM ET ) Ten years ago I made a mistake...and payed for it...18 years ago YOU WERE your parents mistake and they are still paying for it."

    This was first reported on awfulannouncing.blogspot.com.

    Gottlieb proved that he is still the immature baby he was in college. These guys are just being stupid. Ignore them, and they go away. Instead, Gottlieb comes back with a "your mom" joke. Gottlieb has proven time and time again that he knows nothing about basketball and knows nothing about being an adult."

    http://www.fannation.com/blogs/post/...eb-is-an-idiot
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagballer6 View Post
    He did get caught using stolen credit cards and that did lead to his leaving Notre Dame. It is something that he has been very honest and open about as a TV and radio personality. He has owned up to his mistakes in a public forum, and admitted it is part of his past, and part of who he is. This is not something that is easy to do.

    I would hope that Zag fans will treat him with respect and and not choose to take low cheap shots at him, just because he has been tough on the Zags with his basketball comments.

    Let's stay classy Zag fans and rise above the fray that is so many other fan bases.
    + infinity

    I hope there are no glass houses around here.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    477

    Default

    "People don't forget." - Esteemed Western philosopher Seth of Superbad.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Doug. Was a real good point guard in college leading nation in assists, but he was Terrible free throw shooter, I think he does good job on radio also.

    http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/...ottlieb-1.html

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4,085

    Default

    I hope all my transgressions as a teenager do not become public. I once walked into Taco night at the COG without swiping my meal pass. Then to top it off I smuggled out 8 tacos for my midnight munchies.

    What humanity will do for tacos. Mmmmmmm Tacos!
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

  15. #15

    Default

    I like Gottlieb.

    I'm not so sure what it was he said yesterday that has everyone year apoplectic about him. It's okay if a commentator thinks a handful of teams are better than Gonzaga. Big deal. We've gotten plenty of publicity and accolades this year. All I heard Doug say was that he thought Miami should have been a slot higher than us.

    Talking head: Gonzaga should be ranked #5, not #4. And I think another really good team (Pitt, Wisconsin, whomever) might beat them.

    GUBoards: OMG! What an idiot! Let's dig up some dirt on him from when he was an 18 year old!!!


    Sheesh.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    South Hill, Spokane
    Posts
    20,318

    Default

    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    14,327

    Default

    Nailed it, Phish

    or

    Herp & Derp.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    2,775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coolhandzag View Post
    "People don't forget." - Esteemed Western philosopher Seth of Superbad.
    post of the day.

    or at least of the 12 hours ended Noon PDT, March 18 the year of our Lord 2013.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

  19. #19

    Default He most certainly did

    I was at Notre Dame when he was "asked to leave" (code for expelled).

    http://articles.latimes.com/1996-09-..._doug-gottlieb

    He paid back the kids he stole from, pled guilty to theft and was put on 1 year probation and fined $500. (peanuts if you ask me).

    http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=5233,3102017

    And while I sympathize with those of you calling for Zag fans to be classy and above it, you only have heard half the story. Gottlieb was a world class POS.

    They reported that he stole credit cards, which he did. They didn't report that he also stole his roommates books and sold them back to the bookstore. For some reason, this just seems unfathomable..almost sociopathic...to me, given that you get about 20 bucks per book. They also didn't report just what a jerk he was to most around him (not that this is a crime, but I"m much more likely to "rise above the fray" if I think you're a decent human).

    And, while he has occasionally been forthright about his incident, his claiming to not be expelled is like an employee saying he wasn't fired, when he was asked to resign. Technically true, but not really. He's continued to harbor ill will towards ND and spewed it in opinion after opinion without noting his personal bias. He also, for the longest time, made excuses about "just trying to fit in with the rich kids at ND," without mentioning that his family was always well off. It wasn't a case of Annie trying to fit in with Daddy Warbucks, and saying so was just another lie.

    I get that we should all let it go, but he tries to come across acting like saying sorry is enough. I knew the kids he stole from, so for me, to see him wax poetic about any story involving morality makes me nauseous.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Pilot Point, Texas
    Posts
    909

    Default

    Syracuse's coach and Mark Few are friends. Perhaps this has something to do with the negative comments:

    http://blogs.fingerlakes1.com/max-po...m-vs-gottlieb/

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagobserver View Post
    I was at Notre Dame when he was "asked to leave" (code for expelled).

    http://articles.latimes.com/1996-09-..._doug-gottlieb

    He paid back the kids he stole from, pled guilty to theft and was put on 1 year probation and fined $500. (peanuts if you ask me).

    http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=5233,3102017

    And while I sympathize with those of you calling for Zag fans to be classy and above it, you only have heard half the story. Gottlieb was a world class POS.

    They reported that he stole credit cards, which he did. They didn't report that he also stole his roommates books and sold them back to the bookstore. For some reason, this just seems unfathomable..almost sociopathic...to me, given that you get about 20 bucks per book. They also didn't report just what a jerk he was to most around him (not that this is a crime, but I"m much more likely to "rise above the fray" if I think you're a decent human).

    And, while he has occasionally been forthright about his incident, his claiming to not be expelled is like an employee saying he wasn't fired, when he was asked to resign. Technically true, but not really. He's continued to harbor ill will towards ND and spewed it in opinion after opinion without noting his personal bias. He also, for the longest time, made excuses about "just trying to fit in with the rich kids at ND," without mentioning that his family was always well off. It wasn't a case of Annie trying to fit in with Daddy Warbucks, and saying so was just another lie.

    I get that we should all let it go, but he tries to come across acting like saying sorry is enough. I knew the kids he stole from, so for me, to see him wax poetic about any story involving morality makes me nauseous.
    A good, sensitive and rather courageous post.

    Most of us, rightly, want to give people the benefit of the doubt that they have moved on - but I think you are right to hedge here. It is also good to hear about what the victims of people had to go through.

    I actually had liked Gottlieb's radio show until I got burned believing his references to playing "pro" as being an NBA'er (he did it intentionally), and I can deal with competing opinions just fine but he seems to come at it with more anger than healthy and making it personal somehow.

    On a lighter note, I want to see him interview Harris to his face and say "but you didn't play anyone. . ." as I said before, Harris would knock him over with that look of his. Doesn't matter, he would never do it.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    16,302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scott257 View Post
    Syracuse's coach and Mark Few are friends. Perhaps this has something to do with the negative comments:

    http://blogs.fingerlakes1.com/max-po...m-vs-gottlieb/
    I agree with Gottlieb on this one:

    The Boeheim vs. Gottlieb fued started early on in his stint at ESPN in 2004 when Gottlieb accused some Big East teams, including Syracuse, of playing non-conference schedules so easy they were “fraudulent.”
    Bring back the OCC

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,229

    Default

    Mouthy self centered, attention getting smart a** punk. He announces well and can call a good game but after that he's just a mouthy putz with little character.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lacrosse, Washington
    Posts
    7,050

    Default

    dont forget his double standard with Coach Sutton when Coach Sutton wa arrested for DWI....>Gottlieb was all over the air calling for his resignation............which was amazing to me considering that Sutton gave Gottlieb the opportunity for redemption to play college D1 basketball again (Gottliebs father and Sutton were coaches together in the past so one would assume was a personal favor)

    Kid could pass, but couldnt shoot worth lick...think his FT shooting was like 44%
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

    Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    231

    Default Gottleib

    Dougie got spanked on live tv yesterday by the head of the selection committee. They we ready for his question because he ranted about it for 4 straight hours.

    The buildup to show show was surreal even with Danick's rants and the the selection committee stated the obvious. It's not only your losses but also who you lost too. What's funny is in prior years this was used against the Zags by to lower the seed by the same pundits and rightfully so

    CBS likely took notice. Hopefully Doug will get talked too by the suits as he calls the games in SLC. I'm not looking for justification, just to call a good game and not make it about himself.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •