Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: America's Team

Default America's Team

Found lots of Zag gems today, but I'd rather not clutter the board since there seems to be a backlash. This one was too good to pass up sharing. Move it to the media dungeon if I'm breaking the rules (which would be sad since that pretty much kills any discussion).

PNW Inlander:

For two men sitting in a bagel shop just a block off the Gonzaga campus, it all started long before that fabled run. Jack Stockton remembers when this building was an IGA grocery store back when he opened Jack and Dan’s tavern, just across the street, in 1961. He’s sitting across from longtime friend Jerry McGinn, a former United Press International (UPI) reporter who wrote some of the first national sports stories about Gonzaga basketball.

But that’s not how they know each other — they both grew up in the working-class Logan neighborhood that surrounds the constantly expanding campus. Much of their old neighborhood is now part of Gonzaga, but Stockton can still list the names of the families who lived in those now-gone houses.

They trade stories about seeing games at the tiny gym Gonzaga once called home — it’s now been converted into the Russell Theater. It held just a couple hundred people, and McGinn would find a way to sneak into games. Stockton remembers a time when a fight broke out between Gonzaga students and fans traveling from Montana. They laugh, remembering an era of the university’s basketball program that very few others can relate to.

Wow. Maybe the best thing I've ever read about the Zags. It so captures the spirit of the place - the school, the team, the students, the neighborhood. What a nice piece of writing!

Thanks so much for posting that!

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Wow. Maybe the best thing I've ever read about the Zags. It so captures the spirit of the place - the school, the team, the students, the neighborhood. What a nice piece of writing!

Thanks so much for posting that!
    I agree. Give yourself a good 1/2 hour to read it; there's so much good stuff in there!

When a worthy article from a relatively obscure source is located it clearly deserves its own thread, doesn't it?

Thanks Caduceus.

Oustanding. Nice find, cadu.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

That is the best article of the year.

Thanks for the link, great article. The article reminds me I am fortunate to be part of this forum where there are so many knowledgable Zags fans including some who enlighten and entertain us with their professional writing skills.
    It's not the size of the Bulldog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the Bulldog!

GO ZAGS!!!

Very very nice read. This part was telling IMHO.

"But given the sort of expectations that Gonzaga fans have built up over the years, there is still plenty to prove. Despite continued success, the Zags haven’t made a deep run in March since that first magical year. They’ve never reached the next level of recognition that allows them to be mentioned alongside the Dukes and North Carolinas on a consistent level without starting an argument. No matter how beloved this program is by its students, its city and its fans, there’s a sense that there’s more work to be done."

Life is pretty short and tomorrow not guaranteed. Zags time is now to rise up and make it to the promised land. IMO

Thanks
    V

thanks caduceus - I wouldn't worry about posting any good article you come across
    The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something.

Good story. Gonzaga has passionate students and fans, mostly bright too, but probably shouldn't go starting rumbles with Montana fans.
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

Quote Originally Posted by caduceus View Post
    Found lots of Zag gems today, but I'd rather not clutter the board since there seems to be a backlash. This one was too good to pass up sharing. Move it to the media dungeon if I'm breaking the rules (which would be sad since that pretty much kills any discussion).
    "Media Dungeon! My feeling exactly. Keep ignoring The Man, Caduceus!

Quote Originally Posted by Bocco View Post
    thanks caduceus - I wouldn't worry about posting any good article you come across
    I would agree with this statement.

Thanks that was a great read!
    Bring back the OCC

Smile Like the little gym

Jerry still yells like he's in the little gym and assumes the refs are still hearing him!

I happened to meet that "UPI Reporter" - I didn't recall his name, we simply just happened to sit near each other at the USF v. GU game in about 1997 in SF. He is a very nice man and boy could he tell some stories.

Great article... Great find.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Very good. Thanks duece.
    "I think we're all Bozos on this bus."

Quote Originally Posted by billyberu View Post
    Good story. Gonzaga has passionate students and fans, mostly bright too, but probably shouldn't go starting rumbles with Montana fans.
    UM fans probably fight dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGU View Post
    UM fans probably fight dirty.
    I got your back.
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

Very nice read. Thanks for the post.
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Makes me want a cinnamon toasted snicker doodle bagel from ultimate. I've been back to Spokane once in the past 3 years and it was closed for the weekend...

Default Hey Hey Now

Some of those Montanan's are supporters you know... Including one Griz Alum...
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Ahhhh. I see you came in off the greens to defend the griz reputation.....
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Default The Hoop!

Had to have my ball retriever re-gripped again so cruzin the board waiting for parts to come in.

Hoop drove all the way over to Palm Springs from LA to watch the BYU / Zag game with my wife and I. I believe we counted 17 Zag fans at the "Beer Hunter" that night. Great night it was.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Glad you could count because it all looked blurry to me after all the beers you forced me to drink

Ball retriever? I thought you were perfect with your drives?
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few