Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: St Mary's NCAA Sanctions

More indepth description of the penalties:

Penalties Imposed on the Men's Basketball Program

3. The institution shall reduce grants-in-aid in men's basketball from 13 to 11 for the 2014-15 and 2015-16 academic years. [Note: the institution had self-imposed a reduction from 13 to 12 men's basketball grants-in-aid for the 2014-15 academic year.]

4. From the date of the release of this report and concluding with the start of the 2017-18 academic year, the institution's men's basketball team will be not be allowed to participate in a foreign tour as defined in Bylaws 17.28 and 17.3.5.4.

5. During the 2013-14, 2014-15 and 2015-16 academic year, the institution may not participate in a multiple-team event as defined in Bylaw 17.3.5.1.1. [Note: If the institution has already scheduled participation in a multi-team event during the 2013-14 season, it may delay the implementation of this penalty by one year.]

6. During the 2013-14 and 2014-15 academic years, no skill instruction for the men's basketball team, as defined in Bylaw 17.1.6.2.2, will be allowed.

7. Reduced, from 12 to nine, the maximum number of permissible official visits in men's basketball during the 2012-13 and 2013-14 academic years. [Institution imposed]

8. Limited to 85, from a maximum of 130, the number of recruiting person days available to the men's basketball coaching staff during the 2012-13 and 2013-14 academic years.(The men's basketball program has averaged 109 recruiting person days during the past four years). [Institution imposed]

9. Reduced, from three to two, the maximum number of full-time coaches permitted to be off-campus recruiting at any one time during the 2012-13 academic year. [Institution imposed]

10. Limited out-of-season countable athletically related activities for men's basketball student-athletes to seven hours during the eight-hour segment of the 2012-13 basketball preseason.[Institution imposed]

11. Limited in-season countable athletically related activities for men's basketball student-athletes to 18 hours during the 20-hour segment of the 2012-13 season. [Institution imposed]Saint Mary's College of California Public Infractions Report March 1, 2013Page No. 30
    12. Will reduce, from eight to six, the number of hours permitted for men's basketball student-athletes to participate in required weight-training, conditioning and skillrelated instruction during the 2013 summer vacation period. [Institution imposed.]

Penalties Imposed on the Head Men's Basketball Coach

13. The head men's basketball coach failed in his duty to monitor his program and failed to promote an atmosphere for compliance as set forth in Section IV-D Specifically, the head coach did not monitor the activities of the former assistant coach and the activities of outside individuals who conducted training sessions with members of the men's basketball team. In doing so, the head coach failed to promote an atmosphere for compliance. Therefore, pursuant to NCAA Bylaw 19.5, if the head coach remains employed at Saint Mary's College or any other NCAA member institution during the 2013-14 academic year, he shall be suspended from all coaching duties for the first five conference games of the 2013-14 season. If Saint Mary's College or other employing member institution does not agree to this suspension, it shall appear before the committee and show cause why the penalty is not appropriate. The provisions of this suspension require that the head coach not be present in the arena where the games are played and shall not have any contact/communication with members of his coaching staff
    and men's basketball student-athletes during the suspension period. The
    prohibition includes all coaching activities for the period of time which begins at 12 midnight the day of the first conference game and ends at 11:59 p.m. the day of the fifth conference game. [Note: If a non-conference contest is scheduled in the midst of the first five conference games, it may count as one of the five games for the purposes of this penalty.] During that period, the head coach may not participate in any activities that are defined as "coaching," including, but not limited to, team travel, practice, video review and team meetings. Finally, the results of those contests from which the head coach is suspended shall not count on the head coach's career coaching record.

14. The head men's basketball coach will be restricted from off-campus recruiting for the 2013-14 academic year. [Note: the institution self-imposed that the head coach not engage in recruiting activity during the July 2012 recruiting period and that he be prohibited from off-campus recruiting during the April 2013 recruiting period.]

Default To quote....

....Aussie legend, Bon Scott: Oi, Oi ,Oi, Oi, Oi, Oi, Oi, Oi, Oi, Oi, Oi, Oi, Oi, Oi Oi.....

See me ride out of the sunset, on your color TV screen......

Just some good natured ribbing. I bet Bennett is going to fight this "one sided story" tooth and nail.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Well, at least SMC didn't give the students fruit baskets.

This is the tough one-- basically he will have 2.5 weeks to start off the WCC regular season where he won't be coaching his team.

I hope we get them at their house in one of the first WCC games of the year.

13. The head men's basketball coach failed in his duty to monitor his program and failed to promote an atmosphere for compliance as set forth in Section IV-D Specifically, the head coach did not monitor the activities of the former assistant coach and the activities of outside individuals who conducted training sessions with members of the men's basketball team. In doing so, the head coach failed to promote an atmosphere for compliance. Therefore, pursuant to NCAA Bylaw 19.5, if the head coach remains employed at Saint Mary's College or any other NCAA member institution during the 2013-14 academic year, he shall be suspended from all coaching duties for the first five conference games of the 2013-14 season. If Saint Mary's College or other employing member institution does not agree to this suspension, it shall appear before the committee and show cause why the penalty is not appropriate. The provisions of this suspension require that the head coach not be present in the arena where the games are played and shall not have any contact/communication with members of his coaching staff
    and men's basketball student-athletes during the suspension period. The
    prohibition includes all coaching activities for the period of time which begins at 12 midnight the day of the first conference game and ends at 11:59 p.m. the day of the fifth conference game. [Note: If a non-conference contest is scheduled in the midst of the first five conference games, it may count as one of the five games for the purposes of this penalty.] During that period, the head coach may not participate in any activities that are defined as "coaching," including, but not limited to, team travel, practice, video review and team meetings. Finally, the results of those contests from which the head coach is suspended shall not count on the head coach's career coaching record.

Default Does this mean

Does this mean the Gaels cannot schedule a home game vs EWU after the WCC Tournament in order to impress the selection committee? Just wanted to check...

The worst part of the sanctions is the ban on individual skill instruction for two years. That's gonna hurt more than the reduction in schoolies and Bennett's brief suspension.

Can anyone elaborate on the skills instruction provision of the sanctions ?

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    The worst part of the sanctions is the ban on individual skill instruction for two years. That's gonna hurt more than the reduction in schoolies and Bennett's brief suspension.
    And the one that Bilas is rightfully peeved about. This one hurts the individual (and totally innocent) players development and they should not bear any more brunt of the penalties than they already will through other measures. Yes, in a convulutated way it hurts the "team" but it would have been very easy to impose something that is more directed at the coach/program.

How many of their recruits are going-- wow-- i can go to St Marys and get no skill instruction for the 1st two years of my time there.

Do these sanctions allow a recruit to back out of a commitment?

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Can anyone elaborate on the skills instruction provision of the sanctions ?
    During the off-season coaches are allowed to work with players in, as I recall, one on one and small group skills instruction sessions. An example would be one of the GU coaches spending time each week working with Shem on free throws.

Bylaw 17.1.6.2.2:

Skill Instruction—Sports other than Baseball and Football.
    Participation by student-athletes in individual skill-related instruction in sports other than baseball and football is permitted outside the institution’s declared playing season, from the institution’s first day of classes of the academic year or September 15, whichever occurs earlier, to one week prior to the beginning of the institution’s final examination period at the conclusion of the academic year [see Bylaw 17.1.6.2-(a)]. More than four student-athletes from the team may be involved in skill-related instruction with their coaches from September 15 throughApril 15. Prior to September 15 and after April 15, no more than four student-athletes from the same team may be involved in skill-related instruction with their coaches at any one time in any facility. Skill-related instruction shall not be publicized and shall not be conducted in view of a general public audience. (Adopted: 1/10/95 effective 8/1/95, Revised: 1/9/96, 1/14/97 effective 8/1/97, 10/27/98, 10/31/02 effective 8/1/03, 4/29/04 effective 8/1/04, 4/28/05, 4/27/06 effective 8/1/06, 4/26/07 effective 8/1/07, 10/30/08).
    Last edited by Angelo Roncalli; 03-01-2013 at 12:07 PM.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Wow...some pretty serious punishments for SMC. Never thought they would be that severe.
    Gonzaga Class of 2011!

Quote Originally Posted by GU69 View Post
    I feel sorry for SMC.
    Why ? Do you think they would feel sorry for Gonzaga ? Or USF ? Or USD ?

I do feel bad for SMC... Two warriors on opposite sides of the battlefield. Now if it were USF... I could care less... Just throwing that in because i know USF and Dons Centeal secretly read this board all the time.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by GU69 View Post
    I feel sorry for SMC.
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Me too.
    Thanks for the sentiments. I'm sure it's appreciated. This is a crappy day. I'd guess that 90+% of Zag and Gaels supporters want the other team to excel and kick some a%& in the Dance. After the WCC tourney, I'm on board for... Go Zags.

Just because there are a good number of intellectually challenged individuals who run and post at Dons Central doesn't mean they are all that way-- i think i met one of the posters who was a waiter at a restaurant we visited and he was a nice young man (he was putting his USF education to good use).

Also -- we should feel bad for USF too because of their certain unnamed coach that they have been blessed with. On a positive note-- as long as he remains there-- we don't need to worry about them rising to the top of the WCC.

The glass is half full in so many different situations.

I hope they don't read this post as they may make up mean things about me and post it for the entire world to read.

I feel bad for SMC, the Zags and the WCC. This is bad news for the entire conference. The sanctions will weaken SMC, one of our top teams. We are a better conference with stronger teams, not weaker teams.
    It's not the size of the Bulldog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the Bulldog!

GO ZAGS!!!

It is too bad they cheated.

I can imagine some of the signs that will show up in opposing teams arenas next year--

"Cheaters Never Prosper" "Bennett= Cheater"

"St Marys Cheats to Win"

"How those sanctions treating ya?"

"St Marys on Double Secret Probation"

What else?

Think this pretty much hamstrings any chance of RB moving to a bigger pond (well, maybe USC).
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ing-violations

MORAGA, Calif. -- One of the most powerful mid-major programs in college basketball has been found guilty of breaking some big-time rules.

The NCAA placed Saint Mary's on four years of probation Friday for a "failure to monitor its men's basketball program," reducing scholarships and placing other penalties on the team after the governing body said the tiny Catholic college committed several recruiting violations.

A report by the NCAA Committee on Infractions found that Gaels coach Randy Bennett "failed to promote an atmosphere for compliance," particularly over the recruiting practices of a former assistant. Bennett will not be allowed to recruit off campus and will be suspended for the first five West Coast Conference games next season.

Saint Mary's will still be allowed to participate in the league tournament and the NCAA tournament but can't play in preseason or in-season tournaments not already contractually obligated to attend. The men's basketball program also will have a reduction in scholarships from 13 to 11 for the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons and an elimination of all foreign tours until the start of the 2017-18 season.

In addition, the NCAA charged an unnamed former assistant with unethical conduct, saying he "knowingly committed violations during the recruitment of three prospects." The report said that the assistant arranged for travel to the United States and lodging with a local family for at least one recruit and that Bennett was aware of the activity...
    Ouch!

Default Smells Like Cheaters

Wonder if this development may accelerate the desire of BYU to remove itself from the WCC basketball program.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Quote Originally Posted by john montana View Post
    It is too bad they cheated.
    AND Bennett

failed in his duty to monitor his program and failed to promote an atmosphere for compliance
    Did Bennett not know? or did he know and just let it go? IMO, the NCAA is saying he should have known because the violations were so obvious and blatant that the odds overwhelmingly support that he did know and he chose not to report the infractions. If he didn't know he failed so miserably at ensuring compliance that he failed at his job description to be a Div 1 head coach and good faith teacher/leader of SMC students athletes.

Anyone know what other schools were recruiting Delly before he chose St Marys?
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

That seems unduly harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Oregonzagnut View Post
    Anyone know what other schools were recruiting Delly before he chose St Marys?
    According to ESPN, Cal, Pacific, Colorado & Stanford.