Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: St Mary's NCAA Sanctions

Default SMC NCAA Investigation

Report will be issued tomorrow:

Andy Katz Andy KatzVerified account ‏@ESPNAndyKatz

Saint Mary's NCAA committee on infractions report will be released Friday, according to NCAA report. Unknown if it will affect this season.
    https://twitter.com/ESPNAndyKatz/sta...94199353200640
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Default St Mary's NCAA Sanctions

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...etball+program

Penalties in the case include four years of probation, a reduction in men’s basketball scholarships during the 2014-15 and 2015-16 academic years, a five-game suspension for the head coach during the 2013-14 season, recruiting restrictions and a two-year show cause for the former assistant coach. If the former assistant coach seeks employment at an NCAA member school during that two-year period, he and the school must appear before the Committee on Infractions to determine if the school should be subject to the show-cause procedures.

GU Class of '07

Wow.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Default Ouch

St. Mary's being used as an example to the BCS schools. If this was Kentucky nothing happens.

The men’s basketball team may not participate in a multiple-team event until the 2015-16 season.
    multiple-team event, as in WCC torunament?
    The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something.

I'm thinking they mean a preseason tourney-- weren't they supposed to play in the tourney in Hawaii next year?

awww why didnt they just vacate those wins so our "tainted" streak would stay alive?
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Quote Originally Posted by vandalzag View Post
    St. Mary's being used as an example to the BCS schools. If this was Kentucky nothing happens.
    Don't agree.

If a Kentucky wasn't truthful during the investigation they'd have been hit with similar sanctions.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

The men’s basketball team may not receive skill instruction during the 2013-14 and 2014-15 seasons.
    Off season workouts ?

The head coach may not recruit off-campus during the 2013-14 academic year.
    Ouch

Basketball Web Sites Listing

"The most interesting place exists between how people see themselves and how other people do." -- Wright Thompson

Wow. Not good. Not good at all.

Harsh. Wasn't following the investigation closely at all, but can't say I expected to see anything like this. I guess that's what it takes to keep up with Gonzaga.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Don't agree.

If a Kentucky wasn't truthful during the investigation they'd have been hit with similar sanctions.
    Looks to me like this is sort of a Jim Tressel situation...
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
    Looks to me like this is sort of a Jim Tressel situation...
    Bingo.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Wow...
    Go Zags!!!

I hope that Bennett's suspension doesn't mess up their gruling OOC schedule.

Ouchie! I didn't see that coming.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Isn't it harsh enough they play in McKeon? Being marked as tainted goods will not help any attempt to boost non-conference scheduling.
    IF YOU WANT A THING DONE WELL, DO IT YOURSELF. -NAPOLEON BONAPARTE

I agree that it is likely to be the early season tournaments but it sure is vague, multiple team event is . . . well, ANY tournament by its strict terms, would really like input from someone who knows.

This is what I was worried about. This hurts Gonzaga because it will impact our RPI for the next few seasons due to a hampered St Mary's team who will lose games and momentum. Also significantly hurts the Big East's expansion west because St Mary's would have joined the Zags.

Now the question is will the WCC vacate their conference title they won last year.

I also expect the unexpected here and that could be a coaching vacancy at St Mary's.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    This is what I was worried about. This hurts Gonzaga because it will impact our RPI for the next few seasons due to a hampered St Mary's team who will lose games and momentum. Also significantly hurts the Big East's expansion west because St Mary's would have joined the Zags.

Now the question is will the WCC vacate their conference title they won last year.
    Obviously not. It would have been stated in the presser.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Bottom Line is it drags our conference down even more - which will hurt Gonzaga in the end.

Can someone share with us the name of the assistant in question?

Penalties in this case include:
    •Public reprimand and censure.
    •Four years probation from March 1, 2013 through February 28, 2017.
    •The head coach must serve a five-game suspension during the 2013-14 season.
    •The head coach may not recruit off-campus during the 2013-14 academic year.
    •A two-year show-cause order for the former assistant coach. The public report contains further details.
    •Reduction of men’s basketball scholarships from 13 to 11 for the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons.
    •Elimination of foreign tours by the men’s basketball team until the start of the 2017-18 season.
    •The men’s basketball team may not participate in a multiple-team event until the 2015-16 season.
    •The men’s basketball team may not receive skill instruction during the 2013-14 and 2014-15 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I hope that Bennett's suspension doesn't mess up their gruling OOC schedule.

Actually feel bad for the younger kids on the team (Delladovlalovlala and the blonde Aussie punk, I could care less about them) - up and coming program, tie your name to it and then all they will talk about for the next season in articles and when they are on TV is how they are on probation.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post

While it will "hurt" I don't think it'll significantly impact the Gaels on the court. The end of the bench will be a little thin ..... but the Zags have been operating with 11 scholarship players this year.

The Gaels will be fine ... at least that's my opinion.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ