Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heady times for our beloved Zags

Default Heady times for our beloved Zags

Yesterday I had a conversation with the Pontiff -- we were talking about the spine tingling feeling of joy that we both had when it became apparent that the '93/'94 Zags were going to be invited to the Post Season for the first time, ever. They'd finished 12-2 in the WCC (1st) but got knocked off in the 2nd round of the WCC tourney by USD. BUT, here they were -- invited to the NIT. It just didn't get any better than this. Angelo made it down to Maples to see the Zags win their first ever post season game, upsetting mighty Stanford before losing a heartbreaker in Manhattan (thanks birddog) to Kansas State.

Half a decade later I remember getting the life hugged out of me in the concourse of KeyArena by my good friend and mentor, the late Jim Solan. You see, Gonzaga had beaten Stanford again .... only this time to earn a berth in the Sweet 16. Yes -- the SWEET 16. This was a "once in a lifetime" type of deal. It just didn't get any better than this.

Never in my wildest dreams did I envision what was going to happen to my beloved Gonzaga. The school, and it's Men's Basketball program have been a source of immense pride -- win or lose.

Tonight, #2 Gonzaga will play in front of 21,000 screaming fans and a National Television audience that should be far greater than 11:00pm EST start times usually attract. They have a shot at doing something special .... very special. Something that's been debated on the ESPN.com nationwide poll. Something that's being talked about around the country.

As tonight's game tips off, I'll be thinking of Kenny Tyler, Jim Grady, Reed Schifferman, Willie Moss ..... they are among the guys who got me to fall in love with Gonzaga Basketball. I'll be thinking of the late Frank Burgess, the late Don Migliuri, Jerry Vermillion .... guys who I didn't meet until well after I began following Gonzaga Basketball. I'll be thinking of my classmates ... StoctonZag, 77Zag, Zag77, JayDee77 and a host of others. I'll be thinking of the more recognizable player names of the recent past ...... who've given their all for their team ...... and I'll be thinking of guys like hondo, BobZag, the late El Voce and a host of others that I've met through this board who've also cherished Gonzaga University and Gonzaga Basketball.

Win or lose tonight, I'll be proud of our guys .... proud of what they stand for and proud of what they've accomplished.

These are heady times for our beloved Zags.

But best of all? ..... it's "to be continued"

GoZags
    aka Ken Devones - GU '77
    Last edited by GoZags; 02-28-2013 at 03:55 PM.
    WE ARE G.U. tells the never-before-told story of the Kennel Club, the largest student group in Gonzaga Universitys 130-year history. The story includes rarely seen pictures from the Kennel Clubs earliest days as well as a gallery featuring every KC shirt, dating back to the 1984 original. Stories and quotes from former and current players, coaches and media members such as Digger Phelps, Dick Vitale and ESPN SportsCenter anchor Neil Everett round-out the tale.

Nothing to add.

Well said.

This is what it's all about. Excellent post, and GO ZAGS.

R.I.P. El Voce
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
    R.I.P. El Voce
    Speaking of El Voce, I was going through some old e-mails yesterday. This is one from 1/10/05. This was his response after I had passed along an invitation to the famous Kennel Club Board house party at which El Voce would have his date with destiny, I mean Jaegermeister, three days later:

Angelo--Let me know where and what time, and I shall attempt to be there. It's been many years since my last Kennel Club kegger.
    El Voce would would love this year's Zags...

RIP good friend.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Default +1 goZags

well said. thanks.
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Smile Gozags

GOZAGS, what about me??????? Just kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
    Speaking of El Voce........

El Voce would would love this year's Zags...

RIP good friend.
    IMO, he IS loving this year Zags. He and Father Tony sit front and center each game and they just have a great old time.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Quote Originally Posted by zag67 View Post
    GOZAGS, what about me??????? Just kidding.
    Tried to email you a couple weeks ago and it bounced back. Shoot me a PM please. Thanks.
    WE ARE G.U. tells the never-before-told story of the Kennel Club, the largest student group in Gonzaga Universitys 130-year history. The story includes rarely seen pictures from the Kennel Clubs earliest days as well as a gallery featuring every KC shirt, dating back to the 1984 original. Stories and quotes from former and current players, coaches and media members such as Digger Phelps, Dick Vitale and ESPN SportsCenter anchor Neil Everett round-out the tale.

Default Gam agin

Nice work, Ken.

And may God bless El Voce.

Well put GoZags
    It has been an amazing journey, with many more great things to achieve in the days to come.
    Go Zags!

Great post. I hate to be picky but it was Manhattan not Lawrence. I remember so well because I sat in my Jeep in my driveway in central Oklahoma to listen to the scratchy radio broadcast. It reminded me of when I was a kid listening to a crystal radio. I was pumped to hear a broadcast of my Zags.
    It was a thrill back in the 90's to read the paper on Tuesday morning to see that every once in a while the Zags would be listed as "others receiving votes" in the polls. I thought we had climbed the mountain.

Go Zags, keep the Lenten vow intact.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Cheers!
    What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Man, you guys start talking about Dick and I get sad all over again, especially since I lost a great spiritual mentor this afternoon when Father Van at Immaculate Heart Retreat Center passed away. Wish I were happier right now.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Nice work, Ken.

And may God bless El Voce.
    You came oh so close to making the OP and while I didn't write it above I will tip my cap to my friends from around the country that found Gonzaga through the Basketball program and who I've come to know and respect through this message board and periodic cups of coffee. Guys like you. Guys like woohoo. And others.

Btw You didn't start out as the luvable jazzdelmar from my perspective (nor from Dick's for that matter). But we all gave each other a chance .... It was during Fr Tony's illness and passing when things starting turning for the better. And I am grateful and I know that Dick was grateful for your friendship.

But back to the matter at hand. Beat BYU.

Edited to add: not sure if I've ever apologized for the time (or times) I called you J-assdelmar on the old board. So..... sorry about that.

Default The last time I saw El Voce was

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Nice work, Ken. And may God bless El Voce.
    at Don Migliuri's funeral. Dick rode with me as we trailed the hearse from the church to the cemetery and then returned back to the parish where we spent a few hours at the reception.

Within a few short months, El Voce was called to heaven, too. Way too soon.

RIP, lads.
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Great post. I hate to be picky but it was Manhattan not Lawrence. I remember so well because I sat in my Jeep in my driveway in central Oklahoma to listen to the scratchy radio broadcast. It reminded me of when I was a kid listening to a crystal radio. I was pumped to hear a broadcast of my Zags.
    It was a thrill back in the 90's to read the paper on Tuesday morning to see that every once in a while the Zags would be listed as "others receiving votes" in the polls. I thought we had climbed the mountain.

Go Zags, keep the Lenten vow intact.
    E6. Booted that one. Had a 50/50 chance. But where was the "forget it ...he's rolling" that Belushi got in Animal House?

Quote Originally Posted by freejoe69 View Post
    Man, you guys start talking about Dick and I get sad all over again, especially since I lost a great spiritual mentor this afternoon when Father Van at Immaculate Heart Retreat Center passed away. Wish I were happier right now.
    So sorry for your loss. Rest in Peace Father Van.

Default Gam agin

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    You came oh so close to making the OP and while I didn't write it above I will tip my cap to my friends from around the country that found Gonzaga through the Basketball program and who I've come to know and respect through this message board and periodic cups of coffee. Guys like you. Guys like woohoo. And others.

Btw You didn't start out as the luvable jazzdelmar from my perspective (nor from Dick's for that matter). But we all gave each other a chance .... It was during Fr Tony's illness and passing when things starting turning for the better. And I am grateful and I know that Dick was grateful for your friendship.

But back to the matter at hand. Beat BYU.

Edited to add: not sure if I've ever apologized for the time (or times) I called you J-assdelmar on the old board. So..... sorry about that.

Ken, your words just blew me away, my friend. I feel even closer to EV now. Miss him and most of all his words. Luvable may be stretching it, even now, but I hear you. As for the play on words, don't even think about it. I've been called worse. Here and just about everywhere else 😉. Joe

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Win or lose tonight, I'll be proud of our guys .... proud of what they stand for and proud of what they've accomplished.

These are heady times for our beloved Zags.

But best of all? ..... it's "to be continued"

GoZags
    aka Ken Devones - GU '77
    GoZags - great post, this year's team is very special, and I share the memories you listed.

Never in my wildest dreams did I expect the basketball program at little old Gonzaga to ever do more than the year they reached the E8. I suspect I was not the only one standing in the crowd gathered outside the Kennel in '99 to great that 98-99 team when they returned from the E8 run thinking it was a once in a life time experience.

Yes these are heady times and I'm enjoying every minute of it.
    The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something.

Excellent post GoZags.

I expect you will have even more glowing things to write in about a month or so.
    I miss Mike Hart

Someone please send this thread straight to the Hall of Fame - just in case something happens in a few weeks that defies nature and justice so that we all can be reminded what a wonderful ride the last season and the last 14 years have been.

Default HoF

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Someone please send this thread straight to the Hall of Fame - just in case something happens in a few weeks that defies nature and justice so that we all can be reminded what a wonderful ride the last season and the last 14 years have been.
    Amen. Ken is already in the Hall of Fame so all his words are archived here, in the Library of Congress and the USGA in Bernardsville, NJ.

Truly an amazing season thus far, with a wonderful coaching staff and an incredible group of young men that make me proud to be a Zag for life.

Very heady - like a good beer

GoZags and Go Zags!!!!