Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs USF...game predictions and thoughts

Default Gonzaga vs USF...game predictions and thoughts

Gonzaga 85
    USF 72

The Zags are on fire now. This team is breaking through so many barriers now. They will finally stop that 3 year old skid in San Francisco, and it's about time. It will be a very enjoyable game, as all games with USF are. The Zags will bring a burning fire into this game, much like they did last night. I think they are sooooo tired of losing there. Harris has not won there, and he will want to make sure he gets one victory there to remember. As we so often see, the Zags' post players are very difficult to contain, so there will probably be a defense on them much like St Mary's employed last night. So we will need our Ninja shooters out in full force.

Im so excited to see the game. The weekend has started out so nicely. Let's wrap it up with one more victory.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Not to sound cocky, but these Zags have played very well in three of the toughest venues in the country: Iba, Hinkle, and McKeon. I expect another outstanding game on Saturday. There's too much at stake for them to be flat.

Before I forget, Elias deserves some accolades for his performance last night. As he has done all year, he's gotten big rebounds when they're needed most, or a steal at opportune times.

I've seen up front and close the chemistry this team has (at OSU): no egos and they generally enjoy each other's company. I loved it when Karno was the first one off the bench to give his teammates encouragement.

My youngest son will turn 11 next Friday. One of his presents will be a Zag jersey. Since his winter basketball season just ended, I think I'll order a size larger so he can use it in summer basketball.

My apologies for not yet posting the pics I took of him with most of the team members after the OSU game. It was as big a thrill for me as it was for him.

A small caveat: as much as he loves Zags hoops, he's still adamant about matriculating at UT-Austin!

I've got a few more years to work on him, but it will be tough, considering he's a sixth generation Texan.

So as not to further hijack the thread, I don't think the game will be close. The team wants to end the losing streak at USF, and it will be by double digits.

I am gladly eating crow this morning (predicted a SMC OT win) and kudos to those picking a GU smackdown.

GU is a buzzsaw right now and they are definitely looking to right the wrong of USF's War Memorial winning streak.

Gonzaga 81
    USF 60
    IF YOU WANT A THING DONE WELL, DO IT YOURSELF. -NAPOLEON BONAPARTE

Good chemistry brewing with this team - you can see and feel the determination.

Zags - 85
    Dons - 63

Go Zags - Beat USF!
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Default I agree.....

The way the guys are playing right now, a double digit victory seems to be in order..........

Go ZAGS

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaZAG View Post
    The way the guys are playing right now, a double digit victory seems to be in order..........

Go ZAGS
    17 double digit wins so far (65+% of total games). Pretty crazy.
    IF YOU WANT A THING DONE WELL, DO IT YOURSELF. -NAPOLEON BONAPARTE

Dons 156
    Zags 40

In honor of the Dons recent National Championship. Ok, maybe not so recent... 57 years ago.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Zags 79 USF 61
    Game is pretty close by the end of the half, but Zags pump it up and win going away.

A second win in a row on the road is always tough. I always notice that the shooters aren't quite as accurate and there's a little less spring in the legs to get boards. Not to mention the emotional letdown after a big win. This Zags team is pretty good about not falling into those kinds of traps, but a little bit of a letdown is just human nature.

That, plus the fact that USF just lost to Portland last night and has got to be upset about that fact and they probably have Walters really getting into them at practice over the next couple days because of that loss, means, to me, that this game will be a lot closer than it otherwise might be.

It's not going to be pretty. It's going to be a grinder. I would guess there will be some foul trouble like we haven't seen in a while on someone (Olynyk has to sit early?). The guys who didn't play big minutes last night will have to step it up and contribute a bit more - Barham, Stockton, Dower and/or Karnowski, Edi maybe even.

I think this one is an ugly nail-biter than comes down to the last few posessions, where either team has a chance to win. I like the Zags experience vs USF's youth in that situation, but I think it'll be a nailbiter.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Dons 156
    Zags 40

In honor of the Dons recent National Championship. Ok, maybe not so recent... 57 years ago.
    I suppose that means that the starters will be resting in the second half...plenty of minutes for Karno and those not part of the current rotation.

Zags 83
    USF 64

Hope to see GLE gets some good run.

San Francisco Treat
    Zags Taste Victory at War
    Tweet Away Rexie

Go Zags!!

My predictions don't seem to be too accurate, but I know what I'd like to see:

A 40 point victory ending the USF three year streak with emphasis. And afterwards, five or six USF players quit the team in humiliation and never play basketball again.

Starters all logged a lot of minutes in a tough game yesterday. I think we get a decent win, but need some pretty solid sparks off of the bench to really get moving.

Zags 70
    Dons 62

zags 80
    dons 62

even with our recent poor history at san fran, and this being a classic trap game, i think our team is just too good and too mentally strong to let this one slip away.

plus i want pay back! last years one point defeat i will never forget, the loss that broke our string of conference titles. no, pay back cannot be had on this game, it must be a game that means a great deal to san fran. pay back may have to wait for several years.

We don't play as well on Saturday after a Thursday big win. Predicting a victory but score being closer than we'd like. A win is a win though....

ZAGS - 78
    SF - 66
    IZF
    Keep out of the Foo, unless you know what you are fooing.......

Zags Dominate.

Zags - 87
    Dons - 59

Go!! Zags!!!

I think Rex forgot that he had a game Thursday night and has been game planning for the Zags all week. We are coming off of a physically tough and emotional game. Late start last night followed by early game on Saturday. Elias doesn't care about any of these factors.......

GU - 79
    USF - 61

Still recovering from last night, what fun.

I expect a bit of a letdown here, the game will be tough with more turnovers. Harris will have a big night and we will prevail. Fortunately, our depth will help.

Zags 75
    USF 61
    CANADA LOVES THE ZAGS!!!

I have a feeling that we will be dissapointed once again. USF came out and laid an egg against Portland and my bet is they wee looking ahead to Saturday. However they are a very good three point shooting team (The gaels had one guy who could hit threes) and I could see them pulling off another shocker. I hope not and maybe this is the year we take care of business. I sure hope so.

Agree with all about the near inevitable let down coming tomorrow.

Reborn - - YOU Rock! Going back to your preciction v. SMC and it was nearly perject. I think you predicted a 13 pt victory (?) and I could not have imagined us running to victory like that.

As for USF. I think it is going to be tough. A lot of things coalescing that concern me. One, as noted yesterday, this team does not play as well on Saturdays (or second night of road trip) as seen by failing to cover the spread. It doesn't play well at USF. It is a huge emotional let down b/c even ESPN couldn't stop talking about GU/SMC. I am also sure that the team is already looking forward to getting back to campus and celebrating with their friends.

Which makes USF what it always is, a Hall of Fame trap game. Why is this game never on Thursday?

Zags bust out to a 10 pt lead over the first 8. Lots of subs and lots of long shooting by USF brings into half down 10 or so. Dons start second half boming away and get it down to evenish. Zags amp up the defensive pressure, hit some 3s of their own and wrestle an ugly ugly, high scoring, beautiful victory.

GU - 87
    USF - 81

GBJ - 22 pts
    Barham - 15 pts

The Other Team from the Northwest will pound Rex's pups.

Dons 65
    Other team 78
    Gonzaga Basketball
    Exhibiting Character Since 1907

Although I predicted a double digit win last night,
    I don't have a good feeling for what will happen on Sat.
    I expect we may get ahead, then they will get closer,
    and that their closeness to us will spur us on to get ahead some more.
    I am not sure we will see the 100% all out effort all game that we saw last night against SMC.
    All I care about is the win, I don't care if it is smackdown or close at the end. This would be a devastating loss for us after all this. We have a high seed in our grasp now, we have to keep enough pressure on ourselves to win tomorrow.
    I Think their coach is the only coach in the WCC that I positively don't like, and would love to see him get beat.

I predict that Rex Walters will send out a tweet complaining about the nachos sold at the War Memorial Gym.

I want to say GU destroys them based on matchups and the fact that USF is just not very good this year...but it's at WMG and Zags always struggle there.

Conservative estimate - GU by 8 points, and only put 72 on the scoreboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Zags 71
    SF 59

It will be a 34 to 28 Zag halftime lead