Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Throw it towards our basket

I know everyone's going to look at that in bounds pass but way to many other reasons we lost this one.

Quote Originally Posted by SWZag View Post
    I respectfully, disagree. It would have been a perfect inbound if there wasn't the miscommunication. Get KO to the line, but something went wrong, can't blame that on Few.
    Respectfully disagree, if that ball is thrown a little deeper then a mistake like that makes it far harder to get the ball down the court.

I think that is a fundamental mistake - - the steal is exactly what you have to protect against.

I can't believe we had the lead with the ball with 3 seconds left and lost.

Outcoached. Could be the worst lose in modern GU history. The repurcussions of this lost are at least minimal.

I dig Stocks, but I am a little upset with him right now. This was the biggest game remaining on the schedule and they had it won. That was one of the biggest mistakes I've ever seen this team make.

The problem with that play was David's tunnel vision. He wanted the ball to go to Kelly come hell or high water. In that situation you simply must get the ball in bounds to any offensive player who is open. The clock would've gone done to about 1.5 seconds making it almost impossible for Butler to win even if GU missed the foul shots.

GU was going to have a short guard inbounding the ball in that situation no matter what. Granted, David is the shortest one. I have no doubt that part of the reason why Stocks was chosen to do it is because he's a terrible foul shooter. But as I said above, getting the ball inbounds was probably 4x more important than making the foul shots.

Quote Originally Posted by jayray View Post
    outcoached. Could be the worst lose in modern gu history. The repurcussions of this lost are at least minimal.
    ucla

Big crowd loud in his ear. 4.5 secs left. Boneheaded play. Not much else to say. Kids do that once in a while. Good game we lost one we should have won.
    It happens....mistakes are made. We played well. Back to the grind.............

Default so all you need to do is throw it up high

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon_zag View Post
    Maybe Few needed to wear this one to show him his game of playing favorites can be a a little silly at times when you actually step back and look at situations. Your smallest guy?
    to the guy you've been feeding ALL.GAME.LONG. A 6-4 Butler guy is guarding him. a set up for a foul and foul shots. and KO decides to move. w.t.f. was KO thinking ?
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

I'm not about to read thourhg 100s of posts and threads..

But did anyone else notice Kelly was pushed in the back on that final play..?

Dats some bulllshyt man

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    The problem with that play was David's tunnel vision. He wanted the ball to go to Kelly come hell or high water. In that situation you simply must get the ball in bounds to any offensive player who is open. The clock would've gone done to about 1.5 seconds making it almost impossible to Butler to win even if GU missed the foul shots.
    It certainly was a bad pass by Stocks. OTOH it is an absolute bonehead coaching move to not post up Kelly on the other end and ensure that even a bad pass results in, at worst, a half court shot.

Can't believe we lost that with .1 seconds left on the clock. One .1 second more and we win. THAT is so tough to swallow.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Big crowd loud in his ear. 4.5 secs left. Boneheaded play. Not much else to say. Kids do that once in a while. Good game we lost one we should have won.
    It happens....mistakes are made. We played well. Back to the grind.............
    Thanks, Abe. Yep - great game. I usually throw away the DVR when we lose, but I'm keeping this one - classic. Next classic: we will win.

I can't freaking believe what I just saw!
    Geez DS...just did'nt think you were capable of that.
    Shake it off kid.
    You will vindicate yourself a million times over before this season is over!
    We have bigger fish to fry!

In reflecting...I just found out why I love this game so much. What a great game basketball is!

Question

Was i the only one to see ko get pushed as the ball was being inbounded??

kiss the 2/3 seed goodbye

Shockingly stupid way to find a way to lose! Throw the inbound high to our corner and game is over barring half court + miracle shot. Guys worked way too hard to earn a "W" tonight. UCLA revisited!@

Quote Originally Posted by 1973Zag View Post
    Shockingly stupid way to find a way to lose! Throw the inbound high to our corner and game is over barring half court + miracle shot. Guys worked way too hard to earn a "W" tonight. UCLA revisited!@
    Luckily this one doesn't end our season.

Win out and this game means absolutely nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by gamagin View Post
    to the guy you've been feeding ALL.GAME.LONG. A 6-4 Butler guy is guarding him. a set up for a foul and foul shots. and KO decides to move. w.t.f. was KO thinking ?
    I actually had the same thought.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by bostonzagfan View Post
    kiss the 2/3 seed goodbye
    That's my concern. I don't see this being Gonzaga's last loss prior to the NCAA tourney (I hope I'm wrong about that). If they drop 1-2 more I see a 4 or 5 seed considering the selection committee's bias over recent years. This one will hurt them.

You guys are overreacting.

We have 2 losses. We are still in great shape.

Quote Originally Posted by zagmantis2001 View Post
    What a way to lose the game. Gu stuck with it, just a bonehead play at the end.

Didn't see the reply--did Jones push Olynk before the ball came in?
    No doubt - and the ref saw it - but is not going to call it with 3 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsBaby View Post
    You guys are overreacting.

We have 2 losses. We are still in great shape.
    I totally agree. I actually think that this will actually piss the guys off and motivate them even more from here on.

We have 2 losses and one of them was to a great team at their gym with a crazy ass crowd and gameday. It probably cost us a shot at a No. 1 seed but that was probably not going to happen anyway given the power conference teams ahead of us.

It does hurt though.

Panic move with no timeouts...Lost our composure. Although we are bummed, let's not forget how clutch Harris was down the stretch. And Dower finally showed up. There were some positives. We are going to need that come March Madness time.

PEACE
    No sense in playing an in-state rival if you have to eat lopsided defeats. It's just like the great Athenian orator and statesman Demosthenes once said -- and I'm paraphrasing -- it's better to be called a chicken and not lose to Gonzaga than to be called brave and get blasted.

- Parrish, CBS Sportsline 12/11/2006

Quote Originally Posted by gamagin View Post
    I agree.

I don't love the play, but I understand the thinking. It didn't work out.

Everything Gonzaga wants to accomplish this year is still possible. Tough loss, but you don't catch every break.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagquette View Post
    Panic move with no timeouts...Lost our composure. Although we are bummed, let's not forget how clutch Harris was down the stretch. And Dower finally showed up. There were some positives. We are going to need that come March Madness time.

PEACE
    Yup. On to the next one.

This wasn't a conference loss.. Sam got some confidence, and our boys get a little humility. That's ok.

Default In Bounds Play

As David was in bounding the ball, Pangos and Bell were standing still at the other end of the court, NO movement at all between the two. If you are having problems in bounding the ball, you are supposed to break towards the ball.

Great game otherwise.