Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: What is Kelly's upside

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,468

    Default What is Kelly's upside

    I have not seen a 7' with the mind set and execution of a point guard ever. I believe it opens doors for him that is unique to that position whether it's at the 4 or 5. I believe the nba teams will be drooling when they consider how his skills could help their team. I expect Kelly to go top 10 when he makes the jump. He has either graduated or is near to it so there is no reason for him to stay if he is as good as I think. The only question to me is how well his D translates to the nba and with his workethic and mind set I believe he is on his way to becoming very proficient in that area. The majority of his fowls have been ticy, tack trying to do guard things with his hands. When he realizies that he is too valuable to the team for the occasional steal he gets, he will be a much better player. Just a guard skill he has not given up yet. Your thoughts.
    Last edited by zag buddy; 01-07-2013 at 04:41 PM.
    The hallmark of a second class person is the resentment of another's success-R.W. Emerson
    Whatever you focus your mind on grows, grow a rose garden and not a weed patch-Dr Paul

    .

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16,363

    Default

    His upside is indeed the nba. In his freshman year I said he among all the stars on that team had the best shot at the league.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4,085

    Default

    He is proving to the media and himself that he can bring the ball up like he used to and also shoot from three. His upside for NBA GMs and coaches is what is going to dictate his departure this year. If one single GM states they want Kelly in any part of the first round, other GM's will start to study his game more closely.

    Once that happens, his draft stock will rise out of sheer speculation. Speculation is a dangerous thing in the NBA and the stock market. Its boom or bust and the majority "bust", or at least fail to live up to the hype. Olynyk isn't going to be a bust though. Every part of his game still seems a little rough and I for one am hoping his heart lies with Gonzaga getting a final four or better in 2013-14. If we do it this year, most of the attention will be on him throughout this process and he will be a lottery pick. I just hope Harris isn't overshadowed and goes un-drafted. I hope Harris gets the minutes and Kelly shares more with Karno and Dower when we can.

    No one shows that much sudden progress without being in the front half of the learning curve. Kelly hasn't hit the peak yet and I think he is only at about 75% and still moving up the curve.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zag Country
    Posts
    3,164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oregonzagnut View Post
    He is proving to the media and himself that he can bring the ball up like he used to and also shoot from three. His upside for NBA GMs and coaches is what is going to dictate his departure this year. If one single GM states they want Kelly in any part of the first round, other GM's will start to study his game more closely.

    Once that happens, his draft stock will rise out of sheer speculation. Speculation is a dangerous thing in the NBA and the stock market. Its boom or bust and the majority "bust", or at least fail to live up to the hype. Olynyk isn't going to be a bust though. Every part of his game still seems a little rough and I for one am hoping his heart lies with Gonzaga getting a final four or better in 2013-14. If we do it this year, most of the attention will be on him throughout this process and he will be a lottery pick. I just hope Harris isn't overshadowed and goes un-drafted. I hope Harris gets the minutes and Kelly shares more with Karno and Dower when we can.

    No one shows that much sudden progress without being in the front half of the learning curve. Kelly hasn't hit the peak yet and I think he is only at about 75% and still moving up the curve.
    Even Kelly's hairstyle overshadows Harris' hairstyle in the media!

    An agile 7 footer is a big deal. I agree that KO needs to improve defensively, mostly on his footwork. I like Harris and I hope he is appreciated at season's end.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Posts
    714

    Default

    In my humble opinion...
    1) Harris is a second rounder at best (probably late). And most 2nd rounders don't stick in the NBA for long (if at all). He will have a long and successful Euro and FIBA career though.
    2) KO should declare if he is going to be a 1st rounder. No doubt. Too much downside risk staying another year, not enough upside. Plus, doesnt he graduate this year as well? I don't see why he would stay.
    Hmmm....maybe if he really wants a national championship he should transfer to Kentucky? No need to sit out as a graduating transfer right? Ok...just kidding, I'm trolling with that...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zag buddy View Post
    I have not seen a 7' with the mind set and execution of a point guard ever. I believe it opens doors for him that is unique to that position whether it's at the 4 or 5. I believe the nba teams will be drooling when they consider how his skills could help their team. I expect Kelly to go top 10 when he makes the jump. He has either graduated or is near to it so there is no reason for him to stay if he is as good as I think. The only question to me is how well his D translates to the nba and with his workethic and mind set I believe he is on his way to becoming very proficient in that area. The majority of his fowls have been ticy, tack trying to do guard things with his hands. When he realizies that he is too valuable to the team for the occasional steal he gets, he will be a much better player. Just a guard skill he has not given up yet. Your thoughts.
    uh, no.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    930

    Default

    KO has never had real game experience before this year. He apparently has put in a lot of work changing his body to fit his new role as a post player, and will have to put in a lot more work adjusting to his this new role. The more attention he garners (and very justifiably so) the more opponents are going to double and even triple team him. As a result, I expect his offensive numbers to come down some. Of course, the WCC is not exactly a treasure trove of bigs, so I am not sure how much the double/triple teaming will slow him down, but slow him down to some extent it will.

    I am not a fan of the NBA and would hate to see him leave after this year, but I know he will have to do so if he reaches the first round of the draft. I think KO will have to grow appreciably on the defensive side to have any chance at a first round pick this year. I guess time will tell.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4,085

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo13 View Post
    In my humble opinion...
    1) Harris is a second rounder at best (probably late). And most 2nd rounders don't stick in the NBA for long (if at all). He will have a long and successful Euro and FIBA career though.
    2) KO should declare if he is going to be a 1st rounder. No doubt. Too much downside risk staying another year, not enough upside. Plus, doesnt he graduate this year as well? I don't see why he would stay.
    Hmmm....maybe if he really wants a national championship he should transfer to Kentucky? No need to sit out as a graduating transfer right? Ok...just kidding, I'm trolling with that...
    With several bona fide NBA prospects and 3 seniors who will go pro somewhere else, I see championship potential here, not at Kentucky. If Butler can be runner up twice, Gonzaga can too. If you look a the make-up of final four teams in the past, we have the most talented team we have ever had and I believe KO, Harris, Pangos, Bell and Stockton will get at the minimum NBA invites to camps at some point.

    A lot can happen in one year. So I hope Kelly will reward Mark Few and the program that waited a year for him to develop and stood by him when he thought about leaving for more PT.

    Kelly Olynyk #1 overall pick in the 2014 draft and NCAA national champion! How does that sound Kelly?
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    sierra foothills
    Posts
    12,672

    Default

    keeping the focus on his college experience for a second, he can be an All American if he can continue to express himself the way he has so far this season. Everyone's taking notice, and more performances like the ones at Leavey, Stillwater and Pullman will further that

    he's focused on winning and the team kicking butt I think, not himself, and that is freeing him up to go off personally in aggressive attack mode, because it's what the team needs, my opinion

    what a performance for the career high. Awesome

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,142

    Default

    Santa Clara was the first game all season that Kelly put together two halves of high level basketball. It was also a game where he managed to stay out of foul trouble. He needs to show consistency.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    8,338

    Default

    Kelly v. Brandon Davies should be fun to watch.
    What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,142

    Default

    Davies is one guy who might be able to defend KO successfully on the perimeter. He has length, athleticism and a bit more lateral quickness than some of the guys who have tried to guard KO. But by having Davies guard KO out on the perimeter, you take away his shotblocking in the paint and open the lane for cutters.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Down Under, you know Opera house etc.
    Posts
    1,191

    Default

    Good point CDC, that would allow for his passing skills to come to the fore....I also think that EH ands KO will be going after Davies to get some fouls on him like he did against USF. I am not usre that they have the front court depth of GU or even SMC.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oregonzagnut View Post
    If you look a the make-up of final four teams in the past, we have the most talented team we have ever had and I believe KO, Harris, Pangos, Bell and Stockton will get at the minimum NBA invites to camps at some point.
    Stockton will never be looked at as an NBA prospect. Both Bell and Pangos have A LOT more work to do for that to be within the realm of possibility. NBA guards are larger, faster, and generally better defenders. A John Stockton type player only comes around once in a generation. I don't see either Pangos or Stockton Jr. making the NBA leap. Pangos has a 5% chance though (rough estimation).
    GU Class of '10, MUSC Class of '14

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4,085

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagnificent View Post
    Stockton will never be looked at as an NBA prospect. Both Bell and Pangos have A LOT more work to do for that to be within the realm of possibility. NBA guards are larger, faster, and generally better defenders. A John Stockton type player only comes around once in a generation. I don't see either Pangos or Stockton Jr. making the NBA leap. Pangos has a 5% chance though (rough estimation).
    Never is too strong a statement, and Stockton has made many people including some of the most die-hard Gonzaga fans, eat crow. I agree with your analysis of NBA guards and the odds, but neither Pangos, Bell or Stockton are done with their college careers yet. So until then, I will think positively even if I am in my own fantasy Dream Zag world.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    241

    Default

    I would call you crazy but I was among those who thought Few was crazy for playing Mike Hart and even giving Stockton minutes in the past few years. And who could have foreseen the Olynyk transformation. I suppose that's possible for Stockton, but everything is stacked against him.
    GU Class of '10, MUSC Class of '14

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagnificent View Post
    I would call you crazy but I was among those who thought Few was crazy for playing Mike Hart and even giving Stockton minutes in the past few years. And who could have foreseen the Olynyk transformation. I suppose that's possible for Stockton, but everything is stacked against him.
    one thing stockton has going for him is his name and genes...he may get a shot that an identical person with a different last name wouldn't get.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    sierra foothills
    Posts
    12,672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Santa Clara was the first game all season that Kelly put together two halves of high level basketball. It was also a game where he managed to stay out of foul trouble. He needs to show consistency.
    interesting observation CDC, as I'd say he's been consistently more consistent, but sure he could be even more consistent...who couldn't?

    He's become the go to guy, and consistently delivering in that role, on the road no less, stepping up big in the 2nd halves because the team has gone to him and needed him, and he has, so far, consistently responded to that opportunity with huge game turning performances seems to me

    interesting how perspectives on the same observations can be so diverse.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9,487

    Default +1

    Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    interesting observation CDC, as I'd say he's been consistently more consistent, but sure he could be even more consistent...who couldn't?

    He's become the go to guy, and consistently delivering in that role, on the road no less, stepping up big in the 2nd halves because the team has gone to him and needed him, and he has, so far, consistently responded to that opportunity with huge game turning performances seems to me

    interesting how perspectives on the same observations can be so diverse.
    Some enjoy watching the dance while others zero in on the steps. You are watching & enjoying the dance. Me, too.
    Go TEAM Zags !

    "John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oregonzagnut View Post
    Never is too strong a statement, and Stockton has made many people including some of the most die-hard Gonzaga fans, eat crow. I agree with your analysis of NBA guards and the odds, but neither Pangos, Bell or Stockton are done with their college careers yet. So until then, I will think positively even if I am in my own fantasy Dream Zag world.
    i dont think the term "dream" does your thoughts on stocks, bell and pangos in the nba anywhere near justice. love to have some of what youre imbibing, though...

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,223

    Default Consistency

    Given that KO took a redshirt year during which he completely retooled/revamped his game, missed the first few games of the season, and then came off the bench the first few games after he did start playing, he is rounding to form/becoming more consistent as quickly as could reasonably be expected.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Posts
    714

    Default

    Kelly moves into the First round on NBADraft.net's 2013 Mock Draft.
    http://nbadraft.net/2013mock_draft

    Going...going...




    Gone?

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Spokannnnnnnnnnne
    Posts
    2,932

    Default

    I think KO goes first round. Could work his way up to a lottery pick. Happy for him.

    Stockton won't be an NBA player. If Bouldin couldn't land somewhere, Stockton wont either. i do believe he will play overseas if he wants to though.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    546

    Default

    I'm starting to think the "violation" was that Kelly was too good, and Few was trying to keep him hidden from scouts, so that he wouldn't rise to high on the draft boards and would come back for another year.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    974

    Default

    Kelly isn't a point guard. If he continues to improve, and at this point I really see no reason he shouldn't, then I'd think he could become a quality rotation player on an NBA team. I like his back to the basket game now, but he still needs to really hone everything he is doing well right now. I think he has a bit of a tendency to over dribble, and he's got to get better at knowing when to attack and when to know to pass out. The dribbling is leading him to have a higher than necessary turnover rate.

    He's also a bit inconsistent on the boards and blocking out. Defensively, he still has a long way to go. Offensively, he can play in the league; but he's got to continue rounding out his game. Loving that he's embraced the position he should be playing, since there has never been a guy taller than 6'8 who has successfully ran the point in the NBA. And the two guys who have done are two of the greatest to play the game(LeBron and Magic).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •