Thread: Angel Nunez visiting Gonzaga Dec. 27th

Default Angel Nunez visiting Gonzaga Dec. 27th

Hadnt seen this posted anywhere yet...having seen him, hes a tweener forward, not sure of the fit and the health issues raise concerns too but to have as a bench guy I couldnt complain about

http://zagsblog.com/articles/nunez-to-visit-gonzaga/

Even at 6'8" he definitely looks like a 3 to me. His potential looks out of this world.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Even at 6'8" he definitely looks like a 3 to me. His potential looks out of this world.
    Interesting string of bad luck. Dangerous luck

U of L head coach Rick Pitino said trainer Fred Hina described his concussion as the worst he’d ever seen.
    Ouch. He doesn't need another one. But the kid obviously has potential but has been recruited over.

Also:

The problem for Nunez breaking into the rotation had more to do with his defense.

Nunez had the length and reach that Pitino covets to play in his press and halfcourt zone defense. But Nunez had trouble picking up the system and was often out of position when he was awarded playing time.
    Do we need a defensive liability as much as we need a tall lengthy SF?
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Of the 21 FG's he attempted as a Frosh, 16 were 3's; made 6.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Check out his video in other recruits thread. Kid can stroke and is athletic. Clearly some issues there but potential can't be denied. It's not like we could t use him

So he'll be here for the Baylor game. Too bad the students won't.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Of the 21 FG's he attempted as a Frosh, 16 were 3's; made 6.
    What did he do on the other 5?

2 for 5.

Checked stats for myself.
    Last edited by SteelZag; 12-23-2012 at 07:46 PM.

A little more perspective on Nunez. He played on a final four team his freshmen year and was on a team this year that is probably better than last.

Sign him up.
    What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    A little more perspective on Nunez. He played on a final four team his freshmen year and was on a team this year that is probably better than last.
    Experience like that is huge. Not even Few has that.

Plus if he knows defense caused him less PT, he probably has focussed on it I would hope. Shooting is kinda like riding a bike, but defense is 100% driven by effort and desire stop the other guy from riding his bike. More like knock them off and take their bike.

Pitino always has the best defenders. So Nunez may actually be a stellar defender but compared to the rest of the team, Petino recruited over him after the injury.

I'm sold. Very sold if he can play the 3.

As CaliforniaZaggin' said:
    Sign him up.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

If he had as bad a concussion as the L'Ville doctor said, one more will be devastating. He could be mentally impaired for life. That would be my #1 concern, not his abilities.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Big leaper....good defender. Sounds a bit "troubled" though. If his brains were severely scrambled, it's a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    If he had as bad a concussion as the L'Ville doctor said, one more will be devastating. He could be mentally impaired for life. That would be my #1 concern, not his abilities.
    Definitely. His coach said it was the worst his trainer had ever seen. Hit his head on the court.

But, I think everyone knows the risks and he obviously wants to continue playing basketball. Outside of a helmet, there is no way to 100% protect from another concussion.

Once you get one, the rest are easier and more damaging.

Default Offers

He appears to have been a 3 star player with most recruiting sites, but his offer list was really impressive: Louisville, UConn, Arizona, Indiana, Florida and others. So it wasn't as though Louisville just brought him in to eat up scholarship space. He was wanted by other factory schools.

Nunez has the size and length that a lot of Zag fans have been wanting in a wing player. Not sure about his overall talent and basketball IQ. He had the misfortune of being stuck behind a couple of future NBA players in the L'Ville rotation. Pitino actually wanted to redshirt him this year due to his medical setbacks. He had a future in the program....it just wasn't going to come right away.

I put a lot more faith in the offer list than the number of stars and his offer list was impressive.

Wonder if he could file for a medical redshirt this year since he hasn't played a minute. If granted, he could have 3 years remaining. Just wondering. Might do better to wait for a more proven transfer next spring.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

This is an appropriate time of year for an Angel to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    Wonder if he could file for a medical redshirt this year since he hasn't played a minute. If granted, he could have 3 years remaining. Just wondering. Might do better to wait for a more proven transfer next spring.
    Especially if he gets tired of sitting on the bench behind another group of freshmen.

Any word on whether this young man made the trip?

Bump
    Go Zags!!!