Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Here We Go!! All Catholic basketball conference!

Default Here We Go!! All Catholic basketball conference!

Xmas come early? Please let us get in on this action!!

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...st-sources-say

Count me out on the National Catholic Conference idea.
    "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Count me in!

I just don't see the attraction to GU athletics programs of a Catholic based conference comprised, presumably, primarily of eastern schools. There are not enough quality Catholic based programs in the west to cobble together a conference that would benefit GU. If there is a coming together in the Mountain West of a number of quality programs (i.e., SDSU, UNLV, UNM, etc.) that would be the way for GU to go. GU in an all-Catholic league is a pipe dream that's not gonna happen (in my humble opinion), no matter how much some seemed obsessed with the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by VaBeachZAG View Post
    I just don't see the attraction to GU athletics programs of a Catholic based conference comprised, presumably, primarily of eastern schools. There are not enough quality Catholic based programs in the west to cobble together a conference that would benefit GU. If there is a coming together in the Mountain West of a number of quality programs (i.e., SDSU, UNLV, UNM, etc.) that would be the way for GU to go. GU in an all-Catholic league is a pipe dream that's not gonna happen (in my humble opinion), no matter how much some seemed obsessed with the idea.
    You could have an East and West division of the conference. Xavier, Butler, Marquette, Creighton, St. Louis are not that daunting travel wise. How would this conference NOT benefit GU?

I don't like it but If it happens it happens. The status quo has treated us well, but I certainly don't want GU left behind should conference realignment negatively affect us somehow

Default Won't be All-Catholic

This conference won't be based on Catholic identity. They will likely poach some schools from A-10 (Butler, Xavier, Dayton) and MVC (Creighton). Conference will be majority Catholic but they're doing this for the money, not for the "All-Catholic conference" thing. If faith is the top priority for Gonzaga, they'd almost be better off staying in the WCC.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGU View Post
    This conference won't be based on Catholic identity. They will likely poach some schools from A-10 (Butler, Xavier, Dayton) and MVC (Creighton). Conference will be majority Catholic but they're doing this for the money, not for the "All-Catholic conference" thing. If faith is the top priority for Gonzaga, they'd almost be better off staying in the WCC.
    Xavier, Dayton and Creighton are Catholic. Butler was founded as a Christian University originally the founders were members of the Disciples of Christ.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyZag View Post
    Xavier, Dayton and Creighton are Catholic. Butler was founded as a Christian University originally the founders were members of the Disciples of Christ.
    Yeah, I really just meant that the Catholic identity won't be that important.

I dont understand the worry over travel. What's a flight to Butler vs a flight to San Diego? An extra hour maybe? We would probably taper down our out of conference schedule a bit anyways since we would be playing in a much more challenging conference with more rpi and sos benefits.

no, no, no.

bad idea.

There's so much bad, it's not even bad, it's in it's own self-contained dimension of wrongness it's not even congruent with our reality.

GU leaving the WCC would be a BAD IDEA
    History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Quote Originally Posted by Once and Future Zag View Post
    no, no, no.

bad idea.

There's so much bad, it's not even bad, it's in it's own self-contained dimension of wrongness it's not even congruent with our reality.

GU leaving the WCC would be a BAD IDEA
    This is a convincing argument.

Default North is South, and South is North -- Vertigo!

An all-Catholic conference smells. Besides that, it stinks. It reeks of "Catholics against the World."

In Kiddwell's fragrant and humble opinion.

:[

<Did the Earth's magnetic poles flip, or something? What the heck is going on with all this talk of disintegrating the WCC and joining the Big East, the Pac-12, the ACC, the Big 12-1, the Federation, the Klingon Empire, the Dominion, the Rebellion, the Little League, the Big Leagues, the NBA, the NFL, the Betty Crocker Cooking Coalition, etc., etc.? Speaking of the latter, Kiddwell is in serious need of a calming, relaxing, chocolate chip cookie.>
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

I think we need to lose the "all-catholic" focus and instead look it as a basketball-only school focus, and a small school focus, or something like that. That being said, unless there are more western schools, this doesn't make sense to me with travel considerations.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    I think we need to lose the "all-catholic" focus and instead look it as a basketball-only school focus, and a small school focus, or something like that. That being said, unless there are more western schools, this doesn't make sense to me with travel considerations.
    Agreed. Plus, lots of non-Catholics have GU diplomas hanging on their walls.

I dont understand the worry over travel. What's a flight to Butler vs a flight to San Diego? An extra hour maybe?
    Plus Gonzaga has its own jet. This makes a huge difference time wise and in terms of comfort. That being said, the extra travel would be a hassle.

When BYU leaves and the WCC adds Denver or some crappy 270+ RPI team, the league will be worse than it was before BYU was added.

I can understand why Gonzaga is exploring other avenues. I can understand why they're reluctant to have their basketball program driving a conference whose administrators keep making bad decisions, business or otherwise.....

Then there is the whole issue of conference realignment and making sure GU is in the best place to survive the changes in the landscape.....

Not saying I am for it or against it, but GU has to explore possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    ...I can understand why Gonzaga is exploring other avenues. I can understand why they're reluctant to have their basketball program driving a conference whose administrators keep making bad decisions, business or otherwise.....
    CDC, I'm not up to speed on all of the issues about bad decisons, compelling reasons to explore other avenue-----what's the gist? Or did I miss a post/link/article, etc.?

This "Catholic" conference idea seems to be picking up steam. I would prefer a western based conference with the top non Pac 12 west teams, the best of the MWC and WCC, but this new conference idea is interesting. It sounds like it is going to come together with or without GU, so we can take our time to decide if we want in. A key issue is making sure the new conference qualifies for the auto NCAA bid, which appears to be one of the main concerns.
    It's not the size of the Bulldog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the Bulldog!

GO ZAGS!!!

Count me in! I'm not even in college anymore (nor a basketball player), so why should I care about how much travel there is going to be? From a pure spectators point of view (which is what most, if not all, of us are) this is an awesome idea!! Could you imagine us playing any of those teams on a regular basis at the beginning of each calender year? My mouth is drooling with the possibility...

A Basketball conference makes sense--

Auto bid or not- the new conference will be strong enough to get multiple bids anyway.

How much money does the basketball program bring into Gonzaga per year? (to help support the other sports programs)

How much would joining the new conference increase the overall revenue? Just in revenue realized from the dance tourney bids-- with 5 or more teams going dancing each year.

How much would this help with student attendance to the university and sports recruiting across the board?

Would it be a 10 or 12 team conference and who would it make sense to add in the West as a traveling partner?

San Franciso or St Marys? Who else would make sense? Do they have a real gym? Are they a decent media market?

Default Unless we know BYU is staying

I really like it. When/if BYU bolts we may wish we would have done this.

I like a west/MW conference of

DePaul
    Creighton
    Saint Louis
    Saint Marys
    Gonzaga
    Marquette

and East:

Georgetown
    Villanova
    Providence
    St Johns
    Seton Hall
    Xavier

we d travel with SMC ; TV markets would include CHI, DC, NY, PHILLY, BAY AREA, ST LOUIS

Im pretty sure any increased travel expense would more than be covered by a new TV deal.

This is mouth-watering and although leaving the cozy WCC is scary, it seems a tasty proposition.

CDC, I'm not up to speed on all of the issues about bad decisons, compelling reasons to explore other avenue-----what's the gist? Or did I miss a post/link/article, etc.?
    Pretty much what I have been saying for awhile:

1) Adding BYU to the league to begin with, knowing there is no way in hell they are staying long term.

2) Adding Pacific to the league, which forces the league to add another RPI drainer when BYU bolts. They should've stuck with an unbalanced league instead of taking the dagger and putting it all the way in. The league will be worse than it was before BYU joined.

3) Signing a secondary TV deal with a TV channel that no one gets, and doing it so close to the start of the season to where they had no bargaining power in the negotiations and may have come out with less money than if they had been better prepared. Two other bad consequences of waiting until the last minute: a) Tip times and TV coverage not being determined for many WCC games until after the season started b) The presence of early afternoon WCC games after late night Thursday games just to get the games on Time Warner Sportsnet. It's not good for teams who travel.

4) The WCC's difficulties with administrative staff retention.

I'm sure there are other things.

Competent administration wouldn't have allowed any of this to occur. It's frustrating when you run an athletics program at a school with great leadership and direction and you are confronted by a league making decisions above your head that lack common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Pretty much what I have been saying for awhile:

1) Adding BYU to the league to begin with, knowing there is no way in hell they are staying long term.

2) Adding Pacific to the league, which forces the league to add another RPI drainer when BYU bolts. They should've stuck with an unbalanced league instead of taking the dagger and putting it all the way in. The league will be worse than it was before BYU joined.

3) Signing a secondary TV deal with a TV channel that no one gets, and doing it so close to the start of the season to where they had no bargaining power in the negotiations and may have come out with less money than if they had been better prepared. Two other bad consequences of waiting until the last minute: a) Tip times and TV coverage not being determined for many WCC games until after the season started b) The presence of early afternoon WCC games after late night Thursday games just to get the games on Time Warner Sportsnet. It's not good for teams who travel.

4) The WCC's difficulties with administrative staff retention.

I'm sure there are other things.

Competent administration wouldn't have allowed any of this to occur. It's frustrating when you run an athletics program at a school with great leadership and direction and you are confronted by a league making decisions above your head that lack common sense.
    Interesting, thanks

Default Amen

I am starting to warm up to the Catholics Only Conference (COC) idea. If named as commissioner of the new COC league, I can offer the following brainstorming ideas:

Cheerleaders dressed as members of the College of Cardinals?
    Communion in the stands at half time?
    Instead of athletic shoes, the players must wear sandals like Jesus did?
    Concession stands sell loaves and fishes only, plus cups of water? (water into wine conversions subject to local liquor regulations)
    Personal fouls categorized as either venial (one shot) or mortal (two shots)?
    Players called for technical fouls required to particpate in confession / reconcilliation sacrament before returning to the playing floor?

Just getting started . . .

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCroatian View Post
    TV markets would include CHI, DC, NY, PHILLY, BAY AREA, ST LOUIS

Im pretty sure any increased travel expense would more than be covered by a new TV deal.

This is mouth-watering and although leaving the cozy WCC is scary, it seems a tasty proposition.
    CatholicTV is looking to fill Tuesdays & Thursdays 7-9. Just sayin'.
    IF YOU WANT A THING DONE WELL, DO IT YOURSELF. -NAPOLEON BONAPARTE