• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unbiased
    Bleeds GU Blue
    • Feb 2007

D.J Fenner

Why didn't the Zags go hard after this kid?

He has the perfect height (6-6) to compete against big guards. He has been tearing them up in the first couple of games. Gonzaga expressed some early interest last year, then backed away. The Nevada coach said "We stole this guy."

• cjm720
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2007

I know he's been on campus (team camps maybe) and it was reported that his attitude was not a good fit.
    Go Zags!!!

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by cjm720 View Post
      I know he's been on campus (team camps maybe) and it was reported that his attitude was not a good fit.
      Good enough reason for me

Comment

• Unbiased
        Bleeds GU Blue
        • Feb 2007

D.J. Fenner

Link please to this "attitude was not a good fit" rumor?

I have heard nothing but good about this guy. Ever check his twitter feeds? Recently he tweeted "Going to church today is exactly what I needed."

Doesn't sound like a guy with a bad attitude.

Comment

• cjm720
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2007

Use the Search function. Thanks.

I was a big fan of his dad and his story that led to the NFL. I had high hope that he could maybe be a Zag, but from what I read I'm not so sure.
          Go Zags!!!

Comment

• Unbiased
            Bleeds GU Blue
            • Feb 2007

D. J. Fenner

Use the Search function. Thanks.

I was a big fan of his dad and his story that led to the NFL. I had high hope that he could maybe be a Zag, but from what I read I'm not so sure.
            I'm going to keep trying to pin you down on this - I can't find a negative thing said about Fenner - and yes, I do know how to use the search function.

You sound like someone on the old Dawgman Husky board -"We didn't want him anyway."

Comment

• MDABE80
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Never hear anything like this.neither the attitude nor the "good fit" item.
              Nevada did, indeed, steal a very good kid.

Comment

• BroncoZAG615
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Unbiased View Post
                I'm going to keep trying to pin you down on this - I can't find a negative thing said about Fenner - and yes, I do know how to use the search function.

You sound like someone on the old Dawgman Husky board -"We didn't want him anyway."
                Nothing like an Internet pin down to liven up a Wednesday.

Since Mark Few isn't replying to this thread, can we go ahead and assume that none of us know why the staff didn't pursue Fenner?

Since he was on campus at one point, we can probably narrow it down to the following:
                a) He didn't impress the staff while he was here with his play
                b) The staff didn't view him as a good fit
                c) He did not reciprocate interest
                d) Two of the above
                e) Answers A-C

I have an educated guess on what it might be but I don't want to be pinned down by you today, I've got to get some stuff done.

Comment

• BobZag
                  Dark Lord of the Zag
                  • Jan 2007

Right out of Romar's backyard.
                  The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• cjm720
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Unbiased View Post

Did you read my second post? Too funny.

As I recall there were observers at a team camp that relayed that he sweared a lot during some games, put some teammates down, was not a team player, etc.
                    That's what I recall. Could be wrong, just trying to help. Thanks.
                    Go Zags!!!

Comment

• cjm720
                      Zag for Life
                      • Nov 2007

An obsevation from a fan. May or may not be the reason we stopped pursuing. No doubt the kid can play.
                      Go Zags!!!

Comment

• BroncoZAG615
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

To add a bit of substance to this thread, it is worth noting that the staff might just be opting to wait until 2014 to grab a few more guards. They've got their eyes set on a coupl in particular in Bryan Alberts (who has already been on campus) and Josh Perkins (from Denver, the staff was here last night to see him).

Lots of good options in '14.

Comment

• Unbiased
                          Bleeds GU Blue
                          • Feb 2007

D. J Fenner

I saw him play last week against Bellarmine. He's a terrific player. I think one of the best on the west coast. At that game, I never saw any indications of what has been purported as being rumored in this thread. Seattle Prep is a good school with a good reputation. I doubt Coach Kelly would put up with what has been described here. If he did show an inkling of aggressiveness, a no nonsense attitude, a take charge kind of player - that’s sorta of a Adam Morrison type. I could live with that.

And yes, he did have a strong interest in Gonzaga.

Just for the heck of it, take a look at the photo of young Mr. Fenner going to the basket on Seattle Prep's web site at this link.

Oh well, water over the dam. Time to move on - too bad though.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                            Zag for Life
                            • Oct 2008

http://guboards.com/showthread.php?t...=fenner&page=2

An obsevation from a fan. May or may not be the reason we stopped pursuing. No doubt the kid can play.
                            Thanks for the link. I made a cursory search but couldn't find anything. There is more than basketball for Few when looking at a recruit, and he has said as much before (I'm afraid to say this because there is no way I can find any specific references/links). The sometimes maligned phrase "Zag material" is often tossed around when referring to the intangibles of a good Zag.

DJ Fenner was at GU camp last week. Looked good, skill-wise. However, kind of a head case. Swearing, yelling at his teammates. Seemed pretty full of himself. Got t'd up. From what I heard, should have been more than once. My guess? He chooses some big Pac-12 school.

Comment

Working...
                            X