Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coaches' Poll: #12

Default Coaches' Poll: #12

You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Wow! A five point jump. Congrats Zags. Keep it up.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

OK St and Illinois are now both ranked.

But UCLA??????? Come on coaches (or low level assistants), watch the games!

How does St. Marys get eight votes after losing two games and Davidson just get one?

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    How does St. Marys get eight votes after losing two games and Davidson just get one?
    Randy Bennett is one of the voters this year.
    Bring back the OCC

Looks like #12 in AP as well if I am reading ESPN correctly.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by gueastcoast View Post
    Looks like #12 in AP as well if I am reading ESPN correctly.
    Yep. Top 12 nearly identical with only Syracuse & Louisville flipped.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

Jazz called the shot!!

Default ty

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Jazz called the shot!!
    tytyty....was nothing....

You da' man!
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Now all we have to do is keep winning and let the top 10 guys lose 1 game each!

Number 1, Here we come!
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Quote Originally Posted by Oregonzagnut View Post
    Number 1, Here we come!
    scary thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

what is the justification for Creighton being ranked above us?
    "Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither." - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Zag@LMU View Post
    what is the justification for Creighton being ranked above us?
    doug mcdermott

GU Class of '07

Default ...#12 ain't chopped liver...

We're good, but the teams ahead of us aren't chopped liver. They're not liver and onions, either. Except for Creighton, we're probably where we belong. We just need to stay focused, take it a game at a time, and, for Fewie's sakes, HIT our free throws.

Oh, thanks for the national exposure. The Zags are now 6-0 at Orlanda, the first team to win the Old Spice twice.

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Default Viva Las Jaygas!

I am returning from Vegas & had the privilege to watch the Bluejays in action. McDermott is virtually unstoppable. They have consistent 3 point shooting and fewer turnovers than the Zags. They don't have as much depth, especially at point. Grant Gibbs is the glue and has an incredible assist to to ratio.

About 2500 jay fans made the trip. They remind me of how Zag fans used to be in the days before we were spoiled and became cocky. Lots of rowdy enthusiastic organized cheering and enormous love and loyalty for all the players and coach. They are really grateful for GG, they have a lot of the Cinderella stuff going on. I saw GG take a dive for a ball that showed just how tough he is.

Bluejay fans have tremendous respect for GU. Many might even agree that the Zags are better. My opinion: Bluejays are slightly better. Bo Ryan was very praiseworthy of the jays. Most points against the badgers in 5 years!

Many Jay fans would love to play the zags even though most I talked to weren't as convinced they would prevail. Sad they don't play each other. Whassup with that Mr. Roth?

Great article below:

http://m.omaha.com/om/pm_23098/conte...tguid=uJbzvWp8

It's great to see GG being successful and happy. He's a great young man and a darn good guard, but I'm forced to agree with another poster who stated truthfully that his untimely and rather serious injuries slowed his development and speed to a point that he would get little floor time on this Zag team. Truth be know?, were I a betting man?, I would wager that Coach Few had a lot to do with GG ending up a Bluejay and blending in to a precise offense that's within his physical limitations.
    [/QUOTE]“Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team.”
    ― Scottie Pippen

Quote Originally Posted by siliconzag View Post

Bluejay fans have tremendous respect for GU. Many might even agree that the Zags are better. My opinion: Bluejays are slightly better.
    Nice post, Sili.

Thanks for sharing your experience and sounds like you had an excellent time in Vegas. Fun to watch hoops in Sin City.

Apparently, the Associated Press and Coaches agree with you -- as Creighton is higher than us in both polls.

While I think we have just as good of wins, if not better, yet they are clearly deserving of their ranking.

-- People can't underestimate how good of win it was vs Davidson last night. They are a NCAA Tourney team and will win their conference. They handed it to Vanderbilt and an improved West Virginia squad. Also, don't sleep on Clemson in the ACC. Their new head Coach is a defensive mastermind and gets the most out of his players. They destroyed every team they played before AND after us in the OSC. They are big up front, can defend, and athletic at all spots. I think it was a very good win and they will upset some folks in their Conference.

Creighton hasn't really been tested, yet they haven't really played anyone either -- Wisconsin was picked in middle-of-the-pack in the Big 10 this season and lost their top two players from last season. A Bo Ryan coached team is always competitive and they got some nice young talent on the team, but aren't even expected as a NCAA Tourney team this year. Arizona St was 10-22 last season and one of the worst teams in Pac-12, while they return quite a bit, they're improved, but still not good.

I'd argue that West Va, Oklahoma, Clemson, & Davidson (who returned their Top-8(98%) scorers from last season) would all compete and/or beat Wisconsin and all would spank Ariz St.

My only thing is Creighton doesn't play anyone UNTIL Conference play begins and the MVC is tough, but Zags face 3 ranked opponents in December and another in January (maybe another if Baylor returns or K-State cracks the polls)...

If these teams played head-to-head, the home team would win...on a neutral floor, I think Zags are 8-15 pts better, just from a offensive & defensive depth standpoint...and this is coming from someone who is hard on this team.
    “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.

This is an actual AP ballot from this week. I assumed the writers at least kept up with the games.

Rank Team Agree Higher Lower
    1 Indiana
    2 Ohio State
    3 Duke
    4 Louisville
    5 Florida
    6 Syracuse
    7 Michigan
    8 Kansas
    9 Kentucky
    10 Michigan State
    11 North Carolina State
    12 Arizona
    13 North Carolina
    14 Creighton
    15 Oklahoma State
    16 Colorado
    17 UNLV 0
    18 Cincinnati
    19 UCLA
    20 Marquette 0
    21 Missouri
    22 Notre Dame
    23 San Diego State
    24 Wichita State
    25 Florida State 0

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    This is an actual AP ballot from this week. I assumed the writers at least kept up with the games.

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    Davidson lost to Milwaukee and a tough NM Lobo squad (they are one of my cinderella picks this year if they make the dance) before we played them. I'm guessing that loss to Milwaukee puts a lot of doubt in peoples' minds. A terrible loss.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post

Rank Team Agree Higher Lower
    1 Indiana
    2 Ohio State
    3 Duke
    4 Louisville
    5 Florida
    6 Syracuse
    7 Michigan
    8 Kansas
    9 Kentucky
    10 Michigan State
    11 North Carolina State
    12 Arizona
    13 North Carolina
    14 Creighton
    15 Oklahoma State
    16 Colorado
    17 UNLV 0
    18 Cincinnati
    19 UCLA
    20 Marquette 0
    21 Missouri
    22 Notre Dame
    23 San Diego State
    24 Wichita State
    25 Florida State 0
    "Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither." - Benjamin Franklin

Creighton and Arizona are the two question marks for me. Creighton probably won't play a top 25 team all year unless another MVC team sneaks in so just how good are they? Lots of hype and a weak schedule doesn't do it for me.

And talk about hype...Arizona comes to mind. An overhyped team last year turned into an NIT disappointment. Sooo they bring some more hyped recruits and are back to the top 10 without proving a thing. Unlike Creighton though they get a couple tough tests so we'll see how those play out.

Personally I like the ESPN Power Poll as it is all engaged voters who actually watch games. Zags @ 10.

Is Gonzaga ranked too low?

We currently have Gonzaga at No. 10 in our updated ESPN.com Power Rankings but Ken Pomeroy lists the Zags at No. 2 behind Indiana on KenPom.com. If Gonzaga can come up with wins against Illinois, Baylor and Oklahoma State in December, don't be surprised if the Zags work their way into the Top 5 by the start of the new calendar year.
    Bring back the OCC