Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: GLE Draft Stock

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,050

    Default GLE Draft Stock

    Will definitely be something to pay attention to as the season goes along. With Harris getting so much attention, I think most people are underestimating the potential that GLE has to go to the league. His only downside is his subpar long range ability for his size, but as well all know, he is a big athletic slasher, and he definitely has the handles and athleticism to play the 2. Im excited for this season...pardon my lack of knowledge on early Zags, but have we ever had two players drafted in the same draft?
    "Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither." - Benjamin Franklin

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    13,594

    Default

    I would disagree that he has the handles for the 2 LMU, but I've been wrong more than once.

    We didn't want the guy anyway.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    118

    Default

    no player from this team will be drafted this year.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,430

    Default

    No way does gle sniff the draft.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,732

    Default

    His handles aren't that great but regardless, no way he's NBA bound.
    Go Zags!!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,602

    Default I disagree

    I think that Elias Harris has a very good chance of being drafted at some point this year although likely 2nd round. I also believe that Karnowski would be picked if he turned pro this year as the NBA is all about potential. Now, before people freak out, I don't think PK should turn pro as he could be Top 10 or higher in a couple of years which makes huge difference in $$ and commitment.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,354

    Default

    I think his draft stock is nonexistent*, but wouldnt be suprised if some teams kick the tires on him in the coming years.

    Gray and Downs got a chance this year, and I think GLE may just have a better 10th man on an NBA roster type skill set.





    * for now. If he's still leading the team in scoring after 15 games heads will be turning for sure

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by harryzag View Post
    no player from this team will be drafted this year.
    If Karno declares he's a 1st round lock. Pangos too.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    If Karno declares he's a 1st round lock. Pangos too.

    Love me some Pangos... but no way he's a "1st round lock".

    Is he better than Raivio or Stepp? Pangos is pretty short for the NBA, he also doesn't have the quickness to guard opposing NBA pg's. I'm also not convinced he can create his own shot in the league.

    Now... could he develop those skills over the next few years and be drafted in the 2nd round after his senior year like Stepp was... Absolutely.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,354

    Default

    Draftexpress is pretty fair to GU, unlike nbadraft.net which tends to overrate (it had Daye, Pargo, Josh, and Micah going leading up to that draft).

    On their top 100 prospects list, Karno is the only Zag appearing...currently at 33 http://www.draftexpress.com/rankings/Top-100-Prospects

    No way is Pangos a 1st round lock....

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    15,810

    Default great kids

    a group of very nice young men.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zag944 View Post
    I think his draft stock is nonexistent*, but wouldnt be suprised if some teams kick the tires on him in the coming years.

    Gray and Downs got a chance this year, and I think GLE may just have a better 10th man on an NBA roster type skill set.





    * for now. If he's still leading the team in scoring after 15 games heads will be turning for sure
    This is more what I'm getting at. He's relatively unknown right now, but the potential is there for his type of player to sneak into the draft if he continues at the level of play that he's showing. He wouldn't be drafted if the draft was today. March though may be a different story.
    "Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither." - Benjamin Franklin

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    If Karno declares he's a 1st round lock. Pangos too.
    no. pangos isn't even in the conversation.

    karno does have 1st round "potential" but there is no way he would declare after this year. if he does, from what ive seen so far this year, he does not merit a first round pick. early second round at best.

    with that said, no players from this years team will be drafted. harris is a tweener who can't play the 3 and GLE does not have the offensive tools to play in the league.

    we have a great group this year and i think this team does have serious potential for a deep run in march. just no players that will be in the NBA next year.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Walla Walla/Now in the land of Zion
    Posts
    149

    Default Geez

    Will the guy who brought the hukka into the room please leave....a couple of these fans have had enough.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,867

    Default

    A bit early to weigh in on who can be what. Edi's got the athleticism. The season is young. Same with kevin.....he might not have the hops and all that. The game he plays is a smart game. I think his speed is much improved as is his defense. Same with Edi.
    Let's get more of this season behind us. I don't know how good Edi can be. bell too. Kevin too. I know they're all much improved. I don't know where their ceiling is.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zag@LMU View Post
    Will definitely be something to pay attention to as the season goes along. With Harris getting so much attention, I think most people are underestimating the potential that GLE has to go to the league. His only downside is his subpar long range ability for his size, but as well all know, he is a big athletic slasher, and he definitely has the handles and athleticism to play the 2. Im excited for this season...pardon my lack of knowledge on early Zags, but have we ever had two players drafted in the same draft?
    i'm not a huge fan of the nba, but have you seen what the 2s and 3s playing in the league can do??? you have to basically be a top 5 player at your position at the ncaa level to make it...no worse than top 10 to get a serious sniff. i really like what gle is bringing so far this year, but he isn't on anyone's radar and he's also already a senior. you want an nba guy? ...stick gary bell in edi's body and you've got a lottery pick.

  17. #17

    Default

    EH has a slim shot. PK has the best shot, but won't leave after this year and would be a second round pick at best if he did. That will improve. GLE has no shot. Pangos will never sniff the NBA. He's a great player but that's just the reality of the situation. No matter how skilled you are, there's no roster spots for 5'11 170 pound white guys with average athleticism. None of this really matters, because this team should run the table in the WCC and make a deep run in March.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    708

    Default

    i think bell will make the league. he has shown the shot discretion of good point guard despite not running pg. obviously he won't be playing 2guard in the nba, but i think he will be able to defend nba pgs and dribble drive in the league. probably not until after his sr yr tho

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Idaho
    Posts
    853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by footsteps View Post
    Pangos will never sniff the NBA. He's a great player but that's just the reality of the situation. No matter how skilled you are, there's no roster spots for 5'11 170 pound white guys with average athleticism. None of this really matters, because this team should run the table in the WCC and make a deep run in March.
    http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...8/kevin-pangos

    Pangos is listed by ESPN as 6' 2" and 185 lbs. Now I know there is some fudging on size and weight on most players but I have met him (I'm 6'2") and I would say he's very close to 6' 2'' not the 5' 11" as you portray (not sure about the 185 though).

    Now he's barely starting his sophmore season and it is way early to assume he can't or won't "sniff" the NBA. He's very similar in size and athleticism to Dan Dickau (He was 6' 2") and for short white guy he did OK in the NBA (not a great player and had to move a lot).

    Another short white guy from Prep and GU is Johnny Stockton (whom i was lucky enough to play 2 years of high school ball with-him being a year younger and very scrawny). I never thought he'd even get offered by GU. I played pickup ball with him at GU right before his sophmore year and he really had improved but wasn't as good (IMO) as Pangos yet. At best Johnny was 6'1" at that point. Point being you just don't know at this point the ceiling of some of these kids.

    Pangos may not get a shot at the next level or he might be the second coming of his hero Steve Nash (Very long Odds I know- but same with Johnny!).
    Last edited by 2wiceright; 11-15-2012 at 10:52 PM. Reason: sp....delete...

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    seattle, spokane
    Posts
    3,072

    Default

    I agree with Walla Walla
    I haven't watched much NBA bb in the last few years, too busy,
    but I got stuck waiting for someone in a tennis club
    and I was shocked at the level of play,
    the passing, the defense, even the bench was super skilled compared to college
    I had forgotten not that, but why, they make the big bucks
    If Gary Bell was 6' 4" or so I could see that maybe down the road,
    Karno is the only one I can see right now and I hope I am wrong.
    After all Sacre got through the cracks

  21. #21

    Default

    Dickau was drafted ten years ago, Nash twenty years ago, and Stockton thirty. The game has changed, but more importantly, the GM's outlook has changed. There are only two rounds in the NBA draft now. GM's would rather draft on potential - size, speed, athleticism, etc than skill. They look at players from the power conferences as a safer bet than guys like Kevin. I don't think it's right, and I'm not saying Kevin isn't good enough to play or succeed in the NBA. The sad reality is he probably won't get the opportunity. Bouldin is one of the best guards we've ever had, and he's in Israel. Personally, I believe Matt, Pangos, and (the truth hurts) Delavedova are NBA quality players who don't pass the "eye test" required for a serious look. It's a shame, for every Ammo there is a Jeremy Lin. Who on this board would take Pargo over Bouldin, or Mills over Delavedova? The guys in the NBA are not the better players, but the better athletes. It's a shame in a sense, but the GM's job is to take the safe bet.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by footsteps View Post
    Dickau was drafted ten years ago, Nash twenty years ago, and Stockton thirty. The game has changed, but more importantly, the GM's outlook has changed. There are only two rounds in the NBA draft now. GM's would rather draft on potential - size, speed, athleticism, etc than skill. They look at players from the power conferences as a safer bet than guys like Kevin. I don't think it's right, and I'm not saying Kevin isn't good enough to play or succeed in the NBA. The sad reality is he probably won't get the opportunity. Bouldin is one of the best guards we've ever had, and he's in Israel. Personally, I believe Matt, Pangos, and (the truth hurts) Delavedova are NBA quality players who don't pass the "eye test" required for a serious look. It's a shame, for every Ammo there is a Jeremy Lin. Who on this board would take Pargo over Bouldin, or Mills over Delavedova? The guys in the NBA are not the better players, but the better athletes. It's a shame in a sense, but the GM's job is to take the safe bet.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,354

    Default

    At GU we kind of still tend to think of things in the old way too, since we've seen Morrison, Dickau, and Turiaf "pop" a little ways into their college career.

    We say that our players stick around and Harris develops this or Pangos develops that, then they will be NBA guys. But NBA scouts arent stupid and they consider what kind of achieveable improvement is in a first round pick caliber player. They arent going to say that a player they would strongly consider should stick around in college and develop some skills...if they think some one has a great player in them theyll take him before college adds some polish. They probably think they can develop a raw player faster, and in many cases they are probably correct.

    These days freshmen and sophmores take up like 70% of the guarunteed rookie contracts.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Tacoma WA
    Posts
    10,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetonionzag View Post
    will the guy who brought the hukka into the room please leave....a couple of these fans have had enough.
    qft
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

    Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

    No Foo for You!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •