Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Equanimity

Default Equanimity

Yes, nice win. The starting guards are brilliant. I was very annoyed that Few pulled Pangos after missing two shots, he had made his first, to rush his security blanket Stockton in the game ASAP. He does same with Hart, he's done this forever. I'm pleased though that Bell got a good run. Despite five TOs I thought Stocks played well as did Hart. Edi was wonderful, a revelation. Harris slow start and didn't show NBA talent. Most of his points from line and only 60%.

Karno has long way to go. He does get points almost incidentally, tho. Dower is not a starter. He's just not. Looks to shoot, holds the ball. Either KO or Karno should start w Dower instant O off bench. Free throws were awful. Easy to gloss over in such a game but 60% ain't going to get Zags very far.

So nice win. WV is dreadful right now but Huggy is a good coach with disparate parts. Really disappointed in Murray. He was a stud at Lasalle.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Yes, nice win. The starting guards are brilliant. I was very annoyed that Few pulled Pangos after missing two shots, he had made his first, to rush his security blanket Stockton in the game ASAP. He does same with Hart, he's done this forever. I'm pleased though that Bell got a good run. Despite five TOs I thought Stocks played well as did Hart. Edi was wonderful, a revelation. Harris slow start and didn't show NBA talent. Most of his points from line and only 60%.

Karno has long way to go. He does get points almost incidentally, tho. Dower is not a starter. He's just not. Looks to shoot, holds the ball. Either KO or Karno should start w Dower instant O off bench. Free throws were awful. Easy to gloss over in such a game but 60% ain't going to get Zags very far.

So nice win. WV is dreadful right now but Huggy is a good coach with disparate parts. Really disappointed in Murray. He was a stud at Lasalle.
    Do you think KO will start when he comes back?
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    Do you think KO will start when he comes back?
    Yes.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

KO should start. I'm with Jazz on Dower coming off the bench to score.

Agree with everything here.
    Go Zags!!!

Wasn't Pangos pulled due to foul trouble? I have a hard time believing the staff wants to inhibit his shooting.
    Agent provocateur

looked to me like Huggy had his boys primed to stop Elias so the team responded with others, another good early sign imo

pangos came out when he got his 2nd foul.

Wow, I can't believe we lost so bad. Oh wait, we crushed a Big 12 team. My bad.
    Everyone's a critic. Enjoy the big win.
    I trust Coach Few and all he does. Sorry it wasn't a perfect game. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Could be worse. We could be Mountaineer fans.

One note about this big man logjam is that it doesnt look like it is going to be easy to bleed it into the small forward position...that somehow seems like our best position on the court right now. People seemed to think itd be Harris or Kelly there to create more room at the 4 and 5.

Edi looks incredible. Really showing a knack for finding points you don't expect, and is one of the key components of a GU perimeter defense that is actually good. Hart did what we all wanted him to last year and confidently made some open looks.

Quote Originally Posted by zag944 View Post
    One note about this big man logjam is that it doesnt look like it is going to be easy to bleed it into the small forward position...that somehow seems like our best position on the court right now. People seemed to think itd be Harris or Kelly there to create more room at the 4 and 5.
    Coming into this season, I thought we'd see stretches of K.O. and Harris on the floor together as the two forwards with Dower or Karnivore at the 5. That was before I saw how much Edi (and to a lesser-extent, Hart) improved during the off-season. At this point, I just think that we need to divide the big man minutes between the big men and the wing minutes between the wings. It's not like we have a shortage of good players waiting for time at any position on the floor.

Stocks playing well was offset by some absolutely bone-headed passes and decisions. He has to play smart and slightly more conservative (not throwing passes he shouldn't or dribbling places he shouldn't)... something Pangos does surprisingly well given how young he is. Not worried about Kevin coming out. Coaches showed last year they are willing to let him shoot. If it was due to him shooting it was due to the fact we came out cold and should've gotten the ball inside. But once we heated up not a big deal. Agreed on the FT.

Remember PK is in a new country, new style of play, new quality of opponents, etc... but I'd say he is the most complete big man straight out of school we have had. And did you see his hands?! Good lord that guy can catch the ball. Looking forward to watching him improve.

Agreed on Dower. He just seems more comfortable once he has a chance to see how an opponent moves before going in.

Don't discount WV. We played impressive defense

Only one negative and that was Free Throw shooting. I thought the refs were horrible, but that's not unusual. Calling the game that close helped the Zags more than it helped WVU. We are much deeper.

I agree with CDC about Stockton. He really turned it over. 5 turnovers is just horrible. His defense, and hustle however made up for it. I really like his hustle this year. I think his defense, steals, tipped balls, and just creating chaos on D was an equalizer for the turnovers.

I really wish he had given Dranginis more of a chance. when he played he played great. I feel he needs more of Stocktons minutes. He is a way better passer. and he is a good rebounder too.

I thought PK played good. I really like his defense, and he showed he's a good rebounder too. I don't see where he hurt the Zags at all. I like his role in last night's game. Very solid. I think Dower played good too, and showed me that he can board. He played very hard, and was productive in my opinion. Our low post players definitely outplayed theirs. And that's all that is important. I think the strength of this years team is going to be our guards.

And what a treat it was to watch them. Great 3 point shooting, guys. Great. And great penetration to the hoop by them all. Bell and Edi are so strong going to the basket to score. The Zags had tons of shots inside the paint, and that's so very important. Especially when you consider how BIG WV is. WVU was not Southern Utah. They looked pretty big to me.

I couldn't be happier, really. To beat them by over 30 points just blows my mind. The criticisms seem like nick picking to me. I'm going to enjoy this one a lot. I was so impressed with their offensive sets, and how well they are running them. This is the best offense in years. They are really running the motion sets pretty darn well for the 2nd game, and the passing and screening was really good.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Im skeptical of the KO phenomenon, But ive been saying it for a while now that Dower is just not the guy. Great off the bench but hes too passive and hasnt shown any growth. We're a couple games in now and hes a couple years in now, a slow start is not an OK answer. Karno will adjust and once he gets comfortable with the new game, his attitude is going to start to help him be the guy his size says he is.

Same feelings about KO. He has a lot to prove.

It's hard for any big man - much less Karno - to get into the flow of the game when he's getting fouls called on him that are so ticky tack. I expect him to be a target for foul trouble early on this season.

Once KO comes back, the beauty of this team is that Gonzaga has the frontcourt depth to bring PK along slowly. I see him getting better and better, both physically and mentally, as the season moves along. As Jazz implies, some of the success he's having out there right now is almost happening "incidentally." He is just so dang big that he is going to score and get rebounds at times regardless of what the opponent does. As I always say, you can't teach someone to be a 7 footer. That being said, he is highly skilled. That bounce pass he threw to Dower in the post (I think it was Sam) in the 2nd half was something that Rob Sacre, JP Batista, etc., couldn't dream of doing.

Sam Dower is totally out of position playing at center. That being said, I was very pleased by how he battled last night and how he showed more toughness than in the Southern Utah game. He wasn't always successful at times, but he at least showed some grit.

Dower is not a starter. He's just not. Looks to shoot, holds the ball.
    I always thought Dower as streaky and I was hoping there would have been a bit more progress to this point about how he works in the offensive scheme. From his first few touches, you can tell if Sam is going double digits or going cold. It is uncanny when the whole building knows he is going with his left and he still has the soft touch to find buckets. On the other hand, his limited post skills get him into trouble and one can quickly see if his initial move is going to payoff. Not to push the perimeter defense too far out against the primary weapons but I like Dower shooting those mid-range jumpers. Pull the other team's big out which can open up driving lanes for the guards and allow the forwards to conest for rebounds. Just my 2 cents. I like Sam a lot and one of the many good things you can say about him is a big shooting over 75% from the line over his years.
    IF YOU WANT A THING DONE WELL, DO IT YOURSELF. -NAPOLEON BONAPARTE

I wouldnt say Im skeptical of the KO phenomenon, but I am annoyed by the writing off of Dower. A couple of his weaknesses as a player happen to be those things that really tick off some fans to the extent that they write off the good things he does (Shaun Alexander syndrome).

Dower does a lot of things really well. He was a projected All WCC player and Im really glad we have him. Maybe KO made some huge strides in his redshirt year, but Dower was on the floor that same year playing in big games. His minutes and starting spot arent going away without a fight...and one that I think he has a pretty good chance of winning.

Dower is a scorer and at times a banger. At times he looks like a liability. The offense flows beautifully until the ball ends up in his hands. He rarely passes out of bad situations and forces shots. When he is on, however, those forced shots go in.

When he is on, he can take over a game, but I don't know if GU needs that for thirty minutes a game considering how streaky he can be.
    Last edited by MickMick; 11-13-2012 at 05:11 PM.
    I miss Mike Hart

Equanimity. What, you think we all attended Manhattan U or something?
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I'm going to enjoy this one a lot. I was so impressed with their offensive sets, and how well they are running them. This is the best offense in years. They are really running the motion sets pretty darn well for the 2nd game, and the passing and screening was really good.

Go Zags!!!
    That's what I thought. I was really impressed with how much movement there was already in the offense and everybody seemed, for the most part, to know where to go and when to be there. WVU didn't know who to chase where and by the time they figured it out, the ball would be elsewhere. Pretty.

Good POST!

Not to concerned with Coach Few's substitutions as that is him and he isn't going to change.

However, KP does have some work to do but I really like his game...IMO he will be a force in WCC play as well as in the Dance.

SD, well, it is his 4th year and still NO RIGHT HAND. He isn't moving his feet on defence and does hold the ball on offence.

With regards to KO starting, have not seen KO play for an entire year so don't think he will start but come in quickly off the bench...Then again, he might have improved that much and will start immediately.

I do like the chemistry on this team and think that if we continue to get 15+ pts and 7+ rebounds from the SF, then we will be very hard to beat, especially with the addition of another Front Court player in KO.

One thing about Guy as Coach Few stated, he needs to "slow down" and play within himself like he has in the first three games! Seems like his "mind" moves before his body does and his ball handling isn't the greatest but rather adequate...

Big future for the Zags...

IMO…

Free throw shooting SHOULD improve every game as legs catch up to game speed.

KO will start at the 5 and, once his legs catch up, tickle ZAG fans nearly to death.

PK has a way to go, expecting a superstar the first big game is unrealistic. He’ll get there easily by next year, and having him and KO splitting the 5 for this year’s tourney will be fun. The position, with those two splitting the time, should be 25 and 12 by then.

Agree with those that don’t see Dower as a center, plus, he didn’t show worthy of being a starter last night. ‘Still hoping for more from Sam this year. I’d have him taking dance lessons but off the bench as a four will suit him better.

Stockton might want to take BeamerZag’s advice and “tighten” up. While it might not happen until it must, KD can play at point better than the Stockton that played in the second half last night. David’s play was a nice surprise up until that point, however, along with Hart (made two threes last night, right?). That said, I believe there are better, or will be better options than both.

Harris was forcing things. The bigs need to break the tradition of bull headed basketball that allows the D to plug the paint every time the ball gets down low. Pass it back out a few times for a wide open three and defenses will have to play them a bit more honest. That goes for all bigs.

Guy keeps improving by slowing his play. Bell will be as good as Bell aspires to be and my hope is he’s aspiring great things. Pangos should be averaging six assists, and the team should average 20.

After the players actually started playing, I enjoyed the first half. Second half not so much. Call it legs, call it let down with such a big lead, call it what you want, the second half was won by WVU. I’ll bet staff is letting the team know.

I get giddier every game. This team has a ton of potential.

Go ZAGS!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    Coming into this season, I thought we'd see stretches of K.O. and Harris on the floor together as the two forwards with Dower or Karnivore at the 5. That was before I saw how much Edi (and to a lesser-extent, Hart) improved during the off-season. At this point, I just think that we need to divide the big man minutes between the big men and the wing minutes between the wings. It's not like we have a shortage of good players waiting for time at any position on the floor.
    yup

Quote Originally Posted by DADoZAG View Post
    IMO…

Free throw shooting SHOULD improve every game as legs catch up to game speed.

KO will start at the 5 and, once his legs catch up, tickle ZAG fans nearly to death.

PK has a way to go, expecting a superstar the first big game is unrealistic. He’ll get there easily by next year, and having him and KO splitting the 5 for this year’s tourney will be fun. The position, with those two splitting the time, should be 25 and 12 by then.

Agree with those that don’t see Dower as a center, plus, he didn’t show worthy of being a starter last night. ‘Still hoping for more from Sam this year. I’d have him taking dance lessons but off the bench as a four will suit him better.

Stockton might want to take BeamerZag’s advice and “tighten” up. While it might not happen until it must, KD can play at point better than the Stockton that played in the second half last night. David’s play was a nice surprise up until that point, however, along with Hart (made two threes last night, right?). That said, I believe there are better, or will be better options than both.

Harris was forcing things. The bigs need to break the tradition of bull headed basketball that allows the D to plug the paint every time the ball gets down low. Pass it back out a few times for a wide open three and defenses will have to play them a bit more honest. That goes for all bigs.

Guy keeps improving by slowing his play. Bell will be as good as Bell aspires to be and my hope is he’s aspiring great things. Pangos should be averaging six assists, and the team should average 20.

After the players actually started playing, I enjoyed the first half. Second half not so much. Call it legs, call it let down with such a big lead, call it what you want, the second half was won by WVU. I’ll bet staff is letting the team know.

I get giddier every game. This team has a ton of potential.

Go ZAGS!
    GU out scored WVU 39-32 in the second half.