• ZagNative
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

KREM 2, Spokesman-Review - First Day of Practice

Yippie! It's starting!

Krem 2:
    Jim Meehan, Spokesman Review
    Zags get down to work
    As mentioned, the Zags went to work minus one rather large individual. It's the first time I've spoken in person to the 7-1, 305-pound Karnowski — though he did recall a few of our email exchanges — and other than interviewing Will Foster and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, I can't remember craning my neck quite so much. He comes across as a gentle giant,seems to have a nice grasp of English and, according to his teammates, can flat-out play.

Said senior forward Elias Harris: “He's got a soft touch, can pass extremely well. Sometimes he surprises everybody, even the guards, with his passes. He's going to be a load in the post. You try to front him, but he's so big, so wide and strong, you can't push him out.”
    Bulldogs put work ahead of buzz
    “A lot of people are projecting huge things – talking about the Final Four and being one of the best teams Gonzaga has ever had – but that doesn’t count at the end of the day if you don’t grind in the gym,” senior forward Elias Harris said. “Success isn’t going to come from talking about it.

“After 11 years, we start out not being the (WCC) regular-season champion and not being the WCC tournament champion. We can’t feel cocky. If anybody, it’s Saint Mary’s that should have a smile on their face. Now it’s time for us to practice hard and get back to what we do.”

That’s not to say Harris didn’t like what he saw as he surveyed the 2012-13 Bulldogs minutes before they took the floor Friday for their first official practice. Head coach Mark Few had a similar take.

“We had a heck of a season last year, but we didn’t win the league,” Few said. “Now we have to try to win that thing back, the tournament back, and that’s obviously one of the goals we have. We have a lot of guys returning, we have some nice experience and we have some tremendous depth. It’s right there with two of the (deepest) teams of the last 14 years. And we’re very skilled.”

Karnowski sits out: One of the primary reasons for the optimism surrounding the program is freshman Przemek Karnowski. The 7-foot-1 Polish center sat out most drills with a swollen left hand – it’s not believed to be broken – and he’ll probably be limited for 4-5 days.

“I got elbowed in an individual practice,” Karnowski said. “I will do all the stuff, but just no shooting, rebounding. I hope I can play soon and I’m really excited about it.”

Karnowski has already impressed his teammates and it didn’t take long for him to pick up a nickname.

“We call him Shrek and we also call him Shem,” guard Kevin Pangos said. “He’s legit. He’s skilled, moves pretty well, great hands and he can pass the ball. He has so many tools for his size that a lot of players don’t have.”

Few mentioned Karnowski’s intellect, passing ability and “he’s got great touch. He’s got a ball that hits the rim and goes in. And he’s a good learner.”

Karnowski praised his teammates.

“This group of guys is good on the floor and also off the court,” he said. “I feel comfortable with all these guys.”
    GoZags.com:
    Men's Basketball Practice Officially Underway
    The four returning starts include the tandem guards of Kevin Pangos (13.6 ppg and 3.4 apg) and Gary Bell, Jr. (10.4 ppg) who had outstanding freshmen campaigns for the Bulldogs; senior guard Mike Hart (3.0 rpg), and senior forward Elias Harris (13.1 ppg and 8.5 rpg).

Other returning letterwinners are junior center/forward Sam Dower (7.6 ppg), senior guard Guy Landry Edi (5.5 ppg), junior guard David Stockton (2.4 apg) and junior forward Kelly Olynyk who redshirted last season. Redshirt freshman Kyle Dranginis also returns to the fold.

Add to that a blend of newcomers.

Drew Barham, a transfer from the University of Memphis who is enrolled in graduate school at Gonzaga, has two years of eligibility remaining. He is immediately eligible because he has already graduated and was given his release by Memphis. The 6-7, 195-pound junior is a native of Memphis. Przemek Karnowksi, a 7-1, 305-pound freshman center, got in his first official practice Friday. He's playing with a heavily wrapped left hand after suffering a bruise on the top of the hand but is expected to get plenty of minutes. Freshman walk-on Rem Bakamus, a 6-0, 150-pound guard, joins the Bulldogs from Mark Morris High in Longview, Wash., and Gerard Coleman, a 6-3, 180-pound junior guard has transferred from Providence College and will have to sit out per NCAA transfer rules.

"We have great depth this year, knock on wood that we stay healthy," Few said. "We have a lot bounce, a lot of guys that can score a bunch of different ways and are pretty skilled. Those would be the positives. The chemistry is really good. We're always blessed with that at GU, but this group is very close. They do a great job of doing things together."

One player the Zags must replace is center Robert Sacre, a West Coast Conference first-team selection a year ago as well as being the conference's Defender of the Year. In addition to his basketball skills, Sacre, drafted by the Los Angeles Lakers, brought an outgoing personality to practice and games.

"Those shoes can't be filled by one guy," Few laughed. "It's a big personality void. Kevin (Pangos) as he gets older, Elias (Harris) as he starts to take a little more ownership and Gary (Bell, Jr.) in his own silent way I think will become leaders. I think it will be done more by committee than anything."

With Dower, Harris and Olynyk already in the fold, the Bulldogs added a fourth big into the mix with the acquisition of Karnowski. Few said you can't pass on bigs.

"Big guys are always so hard to find so anytime you get quality big guys it's very important to building your program, just like great guards," Few noted. "But I think we have a nice foursome in our bigs; they are all different, yet all four of them are very good players."
    • Feb 2008

And all is right with the world once again...
    What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2008

And we’re very skilled
      I don't think we have heard Coach say that for several years, at least without the caviat of youth or some such.

I'm sipping the koolaid on KarNASTY. Assuming he's healthy and in game shape for D1, he sounds too skilled and his size makes him such a big matchup problem that I don't know how Dower or KO will keep him off the floor at center, as both to me are more natural power forwards.

Comment

• ZagNative
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

KXLY: Nice Kevin Pangos interview.

And one with Mark Few, though it's basically the same as the one linked above with KREM 2

Comment

• Radbooks
          Zag for Life
          • Jun 2007

There is also a nice interview with Elias Harris. The title says it is with Pangos, but I clicked on it when I saw that the picture was Elias!
          “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Comment

• gamagin
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Mods: perhaps you could combo the various

threads re opening day. tnx
            Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
            Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
            Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• ZagZombie
              Kennel Club Material
              • Jun 2011

Did they change the time of kraziness in the kennel? the kxly link says doors open at 4pm?

Comment

• BobZag
                Dark Lord of the Zag
                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by ZagZombie View Post
                Did they change the time of kraziness in the kennel? the kxly link says doors open at 4pm?
                I think doors open at 3pm, and it starts at 4.
                The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• NotoriousZ
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2008

Originally Posted by ZagZombie Did they change the time of kraziness in the kennel? the kxly link says doors open at 4pm?

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
                  I think doors open at 3pm, and it starts at 4.
                  Dang, I'm working Saturday and should be done around 4pm, so maybe they're doing some outdoor activities at 3pm and doors open at 4? A guy can hope.
                  It's peanut butter jelly time!

Comment

• gamagin
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Or maybe your just swamped

Originally posted by gamagin View Post
                    threads re opening day. tnx
                    the place HAS been hopping like the bulletin board at Huckleberries.
                    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
                    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
                    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• Vanzagger
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Coach

Few couldn't answer a simple question about the rotation. Get ready for more cuteness....and probably a 6,7, or 8 seed again.

I now see this was covered in another thread. Nothing against a deep team and keeping the players fresh. Just avoid the circus which takes place when you are always changing your starters.
                      Think Big. No think Bigger than that!

Comment

• willandi
                        Zag for Life
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Vanzagger View Post
                        Few couldn't answer a simple question about the rotation. Get ready for more cuteness....and probably a 6,7, or 8 seed again.
                        Actually, Few WOULDN"T answer a question. If you think that drops the zags from a 5 seed, or better, then I guess you are entitled to your opinion. Is there any reasoning behind your opinion, or just intuition? Should we try to get a bigger front court? 7'+ just isn't as big as it used to be!
                        Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• Vanzagger
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

sub proactively. The first time Edi misses a 3 this year I don't want to see Few's face turn red, wrap his arms around himself, turn around and see David's puppy dog eyes, and promptly signal for the change.
                          Think Big. No think Bigger than that!

Comment

Originally posted by ZagNative View Post
                            Yippie! It's starting!

Krem 2:
                            Jim Meehan, Spokesman ReviewGoZags.com:
                            Men's Basketball Practice Officially Underway
                            The four returning starts include the tandem guards of Kevin Pangos (13.6 ppg and 3.4 apg) and Gary Bell, Jr. (10.4 ppg) who had outstanding freshmen campaigns for the Bulldogs; senior guard Mike Hart (3.0 rpg), and senior forward Elias Harris (13.1 ppg and 8.5 rpg).

Other returning letterwinners are junior center/forward Sam Dower (7.6 ppg), senior guard Guy Landry Edi (5.5 ppg), junior guard David Stockton (2.4 apg) and junior forward Kelly Olynyk who redshirted last season. Redshirt freshman Kyle Dranginis also returns to the fold.

Add to that a blend of newcomers.

Drew Barham, a transfer from the University of Memphis who is enrolled in graduate school at Gonzaga, has two years of eligibility remaining. He is immediately eligible because he has already graduated and was given his release by Memphis. The 6-7, 195-pound junior is a native of Memphis. Przemek Karnowksi, a 7-1, 305-pound freshman center, got in his first official practice Friday. He's playing with a heavily wrapped left hand after suffering a bruise on the top of the hand but is expected to get plenty of minutes. Freshman walk-on Rem Bakamus, a 6-0, 150-pound guard, joins the Bulldogs from Mark Morris High in Longview, Wash., and Gerard Coleman, a 6-3, 180-pound junior guard has transferred from Providence College and will have to sit out per NCAA transfer rules.

"We have great depth this year, knock on wood that we stay healthy," Few said. "We have a lot bounce, a lot of guys that can score a bunch of different ways and are pretty skilled. Those would be the positives. The chemistry is really good. We're always blessed with that at GU, but this group is very close. They do a great job of doing things together."

One player the Zags must replace is center Robert Sacre, a West Coast Conference first-team selection a year ago as well as being the conference's Defender of the Year. In addition to his basketball skills, Sacre, drafted by the Los Angeles Lakers, brought an outgoing personality to practice and games.

"Those shoes can't be filled by one guy," Few laughed. "It's a big personality void. Kevin (Pangos) as he gets older, Elias (Harris) as he starts to take a little more ownership and Gary (Bell, Jr.) in his own silent way I think will become leaders. I think it will be done more by committee than anything."

With Dower, Harris and Olynyk already in the fold, the Bulldogs added a fourth big into the mix with the acquisition of Karnowski. Few said you can't pass on bigs.

"Big guys are always so hard to find so anytime you get quality big guys it's very important to building your program, just like great guards," Few noted. "But I think we have a nice foursome in our bigs; they are all different, yet all four of them are very good players."

Thanks, ZN.

So glad you posted this. I read it in the Bonner Bee today, and spent an inordinate amount of time trying to find it at the Bee or at the CDA Press--sister paper. I found it at the Press, but you had to be a print subscriber. Since we take the Bee, I tried to register, but it didn't work. So tomorrow, I was going to type the Few quotes, which I thought were the most interesting parts of the story, and post them. Now I don't have to--and for any future stories in the Bee, I know to check at gozags.

ZaGranny

Comment

• zaguarxj
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Vanzagger View Post
                              sub proactively. The first time Edi misses a 3 this year I don't want to see Few's face turn red, wrap his arms around himself, turn around and see David's puppy dog eyes, and promptly signal for the change.
                              What you're pretty much saying here is that Few bases his rotation on "cuteness." And then you wonder why nobody here takes you seriously?

Comment

Working...
                              X