Thread: Osweiler's postion

Default Osweiler's postion

It seems that we will have a few forwards (Poling, Davis and even Daye) when Osweiler shows up, does it seem plausible Brock could be playing center or at least some center?
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Pretty sure he'll be a banging "4".

Poling is a 5, isn't he? I'm pretty sure he's a back to the basket guy. That leaves us with Davis, basically, and Daye possibly, but I feel he's probably more of a 3. If we're lucky enough to land Jordan Morgan, he'd be another 4, though.

Poling is more of a 4. He's got a solid 15' jumper and a classic high post guy.

Default A waste

I'm really not much of a technical basketball guy, but having watched Brock play a few times, I think that a lot of what he brings would be wasted at center. Josh is a terrific athlete, but he does not move with the ball like Brock does. I think that Brock moves with the ball like a 3 or even a 2. He is a quarterback after all - extreemly agile, coordinated and quick - in ways different than Josh is. I'm not saying he should play 3 or 2, just that the way he moves with the ball compares favorably with some of our guys at those positions.

I'm curious what some of the more CDC or Bob think about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevtelen View Post
    Poling is a 5, isn't he? I'm pretty sure he's a back to the basket guy. That leaves us with Davis, basically, and Daye possibly, but I feel he's probably more of a 3. If we're lucky enough to land Jordan Morgan, he'd be another 4, though.
    BZ has Poling slotted as a forward in his scholarship chart above.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by Rebornzagfan View Post
    I read that he plays a lot like Josh, in terms of his desire to shoot the 3 ball. However, saying that, he is listed as the #3 CENTER BY ONE OF The scouting sites I think in Southern cal.
    I saw that, too. That is what piqued my curiosity.
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Are you forgetting about Robert Sacre ??

and 7'5" big Willy Foster.

[Are you forgetting about Robert Sacre ??
    “Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.” ~Jack Handey~

I stand corrected I guess. Hmmm... that does make things interesting. I'd say we probably need a 5 in the 09 class then.

Default Re:

Keep in mind that Brock might still grow a couple of inches. That could play a part in whether he is a 4 or 5 at the college level.

Think Jordan Morgan! ( 6-8, 245 with 2 years to grow)

Maybe we're missing the obvious here. When have we ever had a true "center"? I don't recall any. Dench, Rogers, Eaton, none of those guys was a true center. Ronny, JP and Casey were definitely fours. The offense we run isn't really conducive for having a true center. I personally wouldn't worry about it too much. There are guys in the coming years though that would fit the bill (Sacre, Foster).

PF.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Maybe we're missing the obvious here. When have we ever had a true "center"? I don't recall any. Dench, Rogers, Eaton, none of those guys was a true center. Ronny, JP and Casey were definitely fours. The offense we run isn't really conducive for having a true center. I personally wouldn't worry about it too much. There are guys in the coming years though that would fit the bill (Sacre, Foster).
    I agree. GU, most of the time, plays 2 "bigs." There really isn't much difference between a PF & a C in GU's game - except maybe the C plays under the hoop in the 2-3 zone D...
    youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Big Sexy.

I still see a lot of Matthew Knight (LMU) in Brock's game. Brock could end up being more of a power player than Knight was, but it's the best comparison I know of for him thus far.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

I loved Knight. If Brock reaches his skill level I will be pleased!