Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Sonics Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by cjm720 View Post
    Up next: Milwaukee, Charlotte, and New Orleans?

Tough loss for Hansen/Balmer...couldn't have done much else. Bottom line, Sacramento took care of business unlike Seattle in 2008.
    I think New Orleans is pretty set, Benson just bought the team and changed the name to fit the region, I don't know that they'll be available for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by KStyles View Post
    I think New Orleans is pretty set, Benson just bought the team and changed the name to fit the region, I don't know that they'll be available for a while.
    Thx, I thought one of them was out of the picture.

So, what happens to the new Sac owner once the city can't get the arena done?
    Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ziggerzagger View Post
    It's good to see a deal is actually done. Sacramento has been the best home that the Kings franchise has had.

Honest question amongst the excitement. This article says that there are even more Silicon Valley investors joining the group. Are you at all worried that they are going to try to move "down the road" to the HP Pavilion in San Jose if there are any hiccups in the arena deal?

Seriously though, party hardy this weekend!
    Nope. Not with the circumstances surrounding their acquisition. If Seattle hadn't been in the mix, then maybe.
    What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Those in the Twittersphere are saying that Hansen won't be getting his $30 million repaid. OUCH. That's the Maloof family for ya.
    What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaZaggin' View Post
    Those in the Twittersphere are saying that Hansen won't be getting his $30 million repaid. OUCH. That's the Maloof family for ya.
    SI article is saying the NBA/Maloofs offered the $30M back to Hansen but it was turned down (which doesn't make sense).
    Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cjm720 View Post
    SI article is saying the NBA/Maloofs offered the $30M back to Hansen but it was turned down (which doesn't make sense).
    Hmmmmm... Interesting. Must be nice to have kind of bank account where you can say no to an eight-figure check.

It helps when some of it is probably Ballmer's and/or the Nordstroms' money as well.

Perhaps it's a sign of good faith in regards to the 7%? Or a down-payment on his expansion fee in the next few years? Or maybe he is the only one in this whole mess that takes contracts seriously, as it has been declared all along as a non-refundable deposit?

If expansion is in the works, it better be soon. Seattle primary elections are this summer and political support for the arena is more muted than in January, even before the NBA's rejection.

#### David stern and the NBA. I am very happy for Sacramento.
    Bring back the OCC

Not an NBA fan, and don't really care if they come back to Seattle. Just seems that Hansen and his group, did everything asked of them. I know that the 'rules' say you can't sue the NBA, but I don't see Hansen as someone who, having spent millions in property aquisition, and all the rest, as one that will just lay down.
    I expect a suit against the Maloofs, for breach of contract, and for caving in so quickly, especially after the announcement of selling a 20% share to the Hansen group if the relocation vote was negative. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lawsuit against Stern. He lobbied hard against Hansen, cherry picked the owners in the initial vote, and treated this deal much different than the Clay Bennet move to OKC. He could have given Seattle more time to come up with a deal, could have acknowledged that Bennet and friends bought the Sonics just to move them. His entire posture seems to be 180 from that deal. I don't know if he can be sued, but I expect it.
    I just don't see this as over, and Hansen being the type to just throw in the towel.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Not an NBA fan, and don't really care if they come back to Seattle. Just seems that Hansen and his group, did everything asked of them. I know that the 'rules' say you can't sue the NBA, but I don't see Hansen as someone who, having spent millions in property aquisition, and all the rest, as one that will just lay down.
    I expect a suit against the Maloofs, for breach of contract, and for caving in so quickly, especially after the announcement of selling a 20% share to the Hansen group if the relocation vote was negative. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lawsuit against Stern. He lobbied hard against Hansen, cherry picked the owners in the initial vote, and treated this deal much different than the Clay Bennet move to OKC. He could have given Seattle more time to come up with a deal, could have acknowledged that Bennet and friends bought the Sonics just to move them. His entire posture seems to be 180 from that deal. I don't know if he can be sued, but I expect it.
    I just don't see this as over, and Hansen being the type to just throw in the towel.
    Believe 10 percent of what you read vis a vis this issue. 20 percent tops. The Seattle group won't sue .... but they WILL be NBA owners in the "not too distant" future.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Believe 10 percent of what you read vis a vis this issue. 20 percent tops. The Seattle group won't sue .... but they WILL be NBA owners in the "not too distant" future.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Thank you, I'm very glad to hear this coming from you.
    Bring back the OCC

Does anyone know if Hansen was in the mix when the NBA recently sold the Hornets? That sale price was chump change compared to what he offered for the Kings.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaZaggin' View Post
    Does anyone know if Hansen was in the mix when the NBA recently sold the Hornets? That sale price was chump change compared to what he offered for the Kings.
    I kind of doubt it. I think the whole point of the NBA buying that team when it was originally up for sale was to sell it to an owner who would keep the team in New Orleans.

Kevin Love just posted this picture on Twitter

Kevin Love ‏@kevinlove 2h
    #tbt Hyped about my new Shawn Kemp jersey. #ReignMan http://instagram.com/p/Z8rHFrM93k/

Bring back the OCC

Shame on you, Chris Hansen.

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/08/16/565...is-hansen.html

Chris Hansen, the Seattle investor who tried to buy the Sacramento Kings earlier this year, was unmasked today as the mystery donor behind the petition campaign seeking to derail the Kings' proposed new downtown arena.

Hansen's involvement in donating $80,000 to a group gathering signatures in Sacramento was revealed by a source this afternoon. The revelation came one day after the state's political watchdog, the Fair Political Practices Commission, sued the Los Angeles law firm that wired $80,000 to the signature-gathering campaign. The lawsuit demanded to know the identity of the donor. A court hearing had been scheduled for Monday.

Hansen's role in the anti-arena campaign is a dramatic development. Initial suspicion fell on the Maloof family, former owners of the Kings, because the family has long been represented by the law firm that wired the money, Loeb & Loeb.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/08/16/565...#storylink=cpy

Shame on him in what way?

He is a resident of California and well within his rights to donate to any political campaign he chooses. The paperwork was apparently filed late, but that in and of itself is not "shameful", IMHO.

Is your problem with Hansen that he indirectly donated money to a group that wants the citizens of Sacramento to vote on the financial future of the city? Because I think we can all agree that if taxpayers are asked to foot a large bill for something that is likely economically neutral at best (most independent economists argue that professional sports don't add to local economies, they simply take away from other discretionary spending) they should have a say in the matter.

Or is there something more to this that I am missing?
    Last edited by ziggerzagger; 08-18-2013 at 10:56 AM. Reason: General grammar. sigh ...

Quote Originally Posted by ziggerzagger View Post
    Or is there something more to this that I am missing?
    Yes.

1. Chris Hansen issued a public apology. This was an obvious bush league move, tantamount to egging a girl's house because she said "no" when you asked her to the prom.

2. Chris Hansen doesn't live in Sacramento. This would not be a statewide election. Doesn't affect him at all.

3. Chris Hansen may have hurt Seattle's chances of getting a team through this stunt.

4. The City's general fund will not be affected by even $0.01 to pay for the arena.

5. The group Hansen funded has been lying to voters about the arena raising taxes.

6. The violation is beyond the timing of paperwork. The Fair Political Practices Commission called it a "glaring example of at-best negligent, and at-worst purposeful deceptive behavior that was aimed at depriving the Sacramento public the knowledge it’s entitled to about who is funding campaigns."

Here's the video that was referenced in the post about an awesome Jeff Van Gundy rant.

Bring back the OCC

Bring back the OCC

Screw Bennett, screw stern. I never root for okc tho I like durant. Screw the nba.
    Love the zags for life

I just read that Steve Ballmer had a meeting with Shelly Sterling to buy the Clippers. However he says he would keep the Clippers in LA. Just another kick to the groin for Sonics fans.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...ppers/related/
    You can't make a half sandwich. If it's not half of a whole sandwich, it's just a small sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroop22 View Post
    I just read that Steve Ballmer had a meeting with Shelly Sterling to buy the Clippers. However he says he would keep the Clippers in LA. Just another kick to the groin for Sonics fans.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...ppers/related/
    The Seattle PI is a tad more hopeful saying that Ballmer wouldn't "necessarily" move the team to Seattle.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/sonics/201...elly-sterling/

Go Spurs!