Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sonics Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by zag944 View Post
    Bennett and company left us the right to the Sonics name and colors. And that's how Chris Hansen has been dressing up for all the rallies and what not.

Id assume we would go to back to something similar to the early 90s scheme.
    For me, a Kings fan, knowing that the team will become the Sonics makes it extra tough to swallow. No one will be playing basketball beneath the hanging jerseys of Webber, Divac and Richmond (my three all-time favorite Kings).

Quick story: I broke up with an ex-girlfriend of mine because of the Kings. We were watching Game 5 of the 2002 Western Conference Finals at my apartment with my roommates, but we were supposed to head to her parents' house for dinner once the game was over. Like most playoff games, the game ran long and she suggested that we leave for her parents' house and I watch the rest of the game there. Their house was just a five minute drive, but there were only six minutes left in a very close game. I said that I wasn't leaving until the game was over, and we got into a big fight later that night and broke up.
    What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Cal, that was an easy call. She wasn't there for you!
    Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cjm720 View Post
    Cal, that was an easy call. She wasn't there for you!
    Exactly! And it showed that she didn't have a fundamental understanding of who I was as a person. Also, in the interests of full disclosure, that was the game that Robert Horry made that shot, so I was in a pretty bad mood.
    What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Crickets.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Crickets.
    Considering the awkward position most Seattle basketball fans are in right now, it doesn't seem surprising. We went through this just a few years ago and it was/is awful.

I for one am just as horrified that we are relocating a once proud franchise as I am excited to have the NBA back in Seattle.

If I'm remembering my PSY 101 class back at GU correctly, I've got cognitive dissonance pretty darn bad.

If I understand correctly, and it is highly likely that I dont, the only thing that could really stop the sale now is the NBA owners blocking it or the Maloofs pulling out right?

I would assume that for either of those things to happen KJ would need to drum up more money than the Hansen/Ballmer team, right? Obviously the Maloofs would want to sell for as much as possible, and the NBA owners will probably just follow whatever is the most lucrative arrangement rather than what is probably the right thing to do...29-2 vote when the Sonics were moving...Paul Allen (local) and Mark Cuban (rebellious) being the only guys on our side.

I'm not a business guy and there are a lot of moving parts at work here, but the latest report is that there are two "big players" that may be emerging in an attempt to keep the Kings in Sacramento. I know that the Hansen/Balmer group is set to give $30M to the Maloofs soon as a deposit, so I don't know how this new group would factor into it.

http://seattletimes.com/html/nba/202...ramento23.html

If it was 29-2 to move the Sonics, I can't imagine that the Hansen group will get shot down by the owners in April.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggerzagger View Post
    Considering the awkward position most Seattle basketball fans are in right now, it doesn't seem surprising. We went through this just a few years ago and it was/is awful.

I for one am just as horrified that we are relocating a once proud franchise as I am excited to have the NBA back in Seattle.

If I'm remembering my PSY 101 class back at GU correctly, I've got cognitive dissonance pretty darn bad.
    Not sure why you would be horrified. For starters, it is nothing like what happened to Seattle. Bennett lied through his teeth saying he'd keep them here when he knew he wouldn't. Hansen on the other hand has been completely upfront about his intentions. In addition, Sacramento took the kings from Kansas City if I'm not mistaken in the year of 1985. What this shows is that the league is purely a business, with people holding the interest of making money. We can't be blamed for the Kings having inept owners who do not care for their city. We had that as well in Schultz, which is why I will never buy Starbucks Coffee. That guy should be ashamed to claim Seattle as his home town, as should the Maloofs. Feel bad for the Kings fans, yes, but don't confuse this as a robbery like Seattle to OKC was.

Quote Originally Posted by ZAGGED OUT View Post
    Feel bad for the Kings fans, yes, but don't confuse this as a robbery like Seattle to OKC was.
    It's not that I believe that these are identical circumstances, but as it becomes apparent that Sacramento's city government isn't going to let the Kings leave without a fight, the lines between the Sonics to OKC and Kings to SEA become more blurred by the day. Yes, Hansen has been upfront about his intentions, but he is also trying to railroad this agreement as quickly as he can, so that Sacramento can't put together one last attempt to keep the Kings.

Yes, he's a businessman and this is what business in the NBA is like, but it doesn't mean that as a fan I have to like how the sausage is made. And, if we do end up with a NBA and NHL team (and the NBA team would have to come first), I worry about the fact that our shiny new arena (about 50% of which is publicly financed up-front) will be housing the two major sports leagues that have the longest histories of labor disputes and the longest histories of relocation.

Welcome to SBNation Sonicsrising

There is now a blog on the SBNation of blogs for Sonics fans!
    Bring back the OCC

Notes from a native son

interesting and well written post from rbiegler on Sactown Royalty. I truly feel awful for Sacramento fans and I hope the NBA can come up with a plan that makes both cities happy.
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    Notes from a native son

interesting and well written post from rbiegler on Sactown Royalty. I truly feel awful for Sacramento fans and I hope the NBA can come up with a plan that makes both cities happy.
    Interesting article, and I feel for the Sac fan. There is a little bigger difference than he lets on. The Warriors are in-state and a not-to-far drive away. The Blazers are another state.
    Knowing the Maloofs had intentions to sell and/or move the time, why was there no urgency by them until after the Hanson deal was announced?
    Hanson, and his group, have played by the rules the NBA set forth. He purchased the property for the facility, and began the process of getting approval for construction. Then he paid earnest money to purchase 65% of the team (the amount the Maloofs controlled), and even further bought another 6% at a bankruptcy auction. One that none of the other minority owners bothered to bid on...of course they can, apparently, make a higher offer later and over-ride the auction. (Whats up with that?)
    With the purchase agreement in place, the property purchased and the first of the legal battles completed, all according to the rules set down by the NBA, how can any owner vote to not allow the sale and move of the team? If they don't approve, it means that anytime THEY get into financial needs, they could be denied the opportunity to sell their most valuable and fairly liquid asset.
    Any way, the only time I will watch an NBA game is when a Zag is playing in that game. Watching Rodman, and the refs, job the Sonics against the Bulls, I quit watching. The games are almost fixed. There are different rules for stars and for rookies. It isn't really basketball, it is very large and very athletic men loosely competing in a contest of egos. At least that's my take.

Kings not coming to Seattle.
    Bring back the OCC

bummer I even put on some sonics gear today just in case.

Sucks...only if ex-mayor Nickels did what KJ did for Sacramento...did a helluva job pulling this rabbit out.

If I were a betting man, I'd say we'll get an expansion team before Sac gets a new arena.
    Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cjm720 View Post
    If I were a betting man, I'd say we'll get an expansion team before Sac gets a new arena.
    Arena deal in Sactown is already in place.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/91...ngs-arena-deal

I grew up in Sacramento and am a GIANT Kings fan, but if my team were ever going to move, Seattle is the city where I would have wanted them to go if they had to leave. Seattle and the PNW has great hoops fan and deserve a team. Hopefully this whole saga has put the wheels in motion for expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaZaggin' View Post
    I grew up in Sacramento and am a GIANT Kings fan, but if my team were ever going to move, Seattle is the city where I would have wanted them to go if they had to leave. Seattle and the PNW has great hoops fan and deserve a team. Hopefully this whole saga has put the wheels in motion for expansion.
    I am truly happy for you and the rest of the Kings fans. I never felt right about taking another city's team. I hope this is resolved through expansion.
    Bring back the OCC

I am truly happy for you and the rest of the Kings fans. I never felt right about taking another city's team. I hope this is resolved through expansion.
    Thanks. Truly an emotional day. Here's hoping the next Kings v. Sonics game comes sooner rather than later. We still owe you guys some payback from when Jerome James lit us up in the '05 playoffs.

Theres no chance the NBA comes back to Seattle now........we were always just a pawn in the NBA's game to be used as leverage to get Sac to build a new arena.
    Gonzaga Class of 2011!

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzing-Zag View Post
    Theres no chance the NBA comes back to Seattle now........we were always just a pawn in the NBA's game to be used as leverage to get Sac to build a new arena.
    Not so much, at least on this last part. Prior to the current deal, Sactown had an arena plan approved that the Maloofs sabotaged last year by refusing to pay their chunk of pre-development costs. The NBA then agreed to cover all of the Maloofs arena expenses through a zero interest loan, but the Maloofs were already too leveraged to take that money.

Chris Hansen, set your sights on the Atlanta Hawks. Darrell Rovel just retweeted this picture of tonight's PLAYOFF game at Philips Arena.

https://twitter.com/chrishaganfox59/...873986/photo/1

+1 for sure. A clean start. No ties for the team to a different city. No animosity.

For those living outside of the Cascade Curtain (Western Washington), I listened to KJR 950 while driving back home after work today where Mitch Levy via phone shared his conversation (or should I say parts of it) with Steve Ballmer on Softy's program (I think it was Softy's program. Frankly, I'm not sure who's program it was because I try to look past all those GU haters on that radio channel and just focus on their content). It was sad. They are in total meltdown mode.

An NBA team in Seattle has just been set back a couple years,...... if not more,..... maybe forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzing-Zag View Post
    Disagree. Yesterday was merely a chapter in this saga.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ