Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Invitation

Default Invitation

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...e-house-invite

This is disrespectful. It does not matter how vehemently you disagree with the President, it is the respect for the office and the country that is important.

There are several Presidents I have disagreed with in my lifetime, some more than others, but being invited to the White House is a privilege. If nothing else, it presents an opportunity for personal interaction or, at the very least, delivering a personal note to the President. Refusing to go is insulting to the country and a missed opportunity for young men to have a deeper understanding of their government. You don't have to agree, just open your minds and learn.

I disagree with you, Blackburn1.

Can we get this political thread off the Men's Basketball Board, please?

Yeah, this doesn't belong on the Men's Basketball Board...
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post

+1

What are you afraid of? It's a legit story about college basketball.

I feel more on the side of: "why would any sports team ever be invited to the White House"? But if you are lucky enough to be invited, by any president, for any reason, then you should go. If only say you have been there and used the bathroom.

My personal opinion is that it looks very bad on the school, the program, and the staff. But hey, can't be out hurtin' them fragile fea-feas!

Hopefully the coach shows them the Billy Bush tapes...

The invitation to the White House is indeed an honor BUT it is a two way street. It also is an incredibly visible ego boost to the President.

If you believe that this President has been disrespectful to People of Colr, in general, and Athletes of Color, in particular, why would you want to portray the appearance that somehow you were OK with that.

He was disrespectful to Kaepernick, maintaining that his constitutional right to peaceful protest was wrong, without considering the message.

He was disrespectful tp Steph Curry when Steph was not immediately accepting of the invite. This President then publicly un-invited him.

This last NFL draft, he sent a message of congratulations the the second pick, a young white man that has made racial comments in his past, rather than the number 1 pick, and African American.

Why WOULD a team with several African Americans even want to go?
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

No one will ever remember that the UVA didn't go to the White House but Baylor women's team will never forget trip.

“I’ve been every time for every president,” Mulkey told the Associated Press earlier this month. “It’s an honor to go to the White House. I want everyone to say they went to the White House. Not many people can say that.”

"I've been every time for every president," she told the AP at the WNBA draft Wednesday night. "It's not a political issue for me. It's an honor to go to the White House. I want everyone to say they went to the White House. Not many people can say that. I hope Virginia men go and I can meet Tony Bennett. We were honored when President Bush was in the office. We were honored when Barack Obama was in the office. We'd be honored if Donald Trump invited us. With politics aside, We should go to say we went to the White House."

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    No one will ever remember that the UVA didn't go to the White House but Baylor women's team will never forget trip.

Cute, but none of the prior Presidents were potentially an overt racist. That matters to some people.

Default History

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Cute, but none of the prior Presidents were potentially an overt racist. That matters to some people.
    Better check your history Will. Recent history included. From both parties. In many directions.

And that’s the point. All Presidents have had major flaws. Respect for the office is what the post is about.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Better check your history Will. Recent history included. From both parties. In many directions.

And that’s the point. All Presidents have had major flaws. Respect for the office is what the post is about.
    True, and I was remiss in not limiting the time frame.

I don't believe that any President since, and including Nixon, has exhibited the overt racism that our current one has.

When the President doesn't respect the office, it is hard to expect others to.

The greatest monsters in all of history held high positions.....including Popes, Kings, Prime Ministers, Presidents. …...I don't buy any bs about respecting a institution or a office....the people you respect reflect your values and character..

Great post, Willandi. And Bart, I liked your post as well.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    The invitation to the White House is indeed an honor BUT it is a two way street. It also is an incredibly visible ego boost to the President.

If you believe that this President has been disrespectful to People of Colr, in general, and Athletes of Color, in particular, why would you want to portray the appearance that somehow you were OK with that.

He was disrespectful to Kaepernick, maintaining that his constitutional right to peaceful protest was wrong, without considering the message.

He was disrespectful tp Steph Curry when Steph was not immediately accepting of the invite. This President then publicly un-invited him.

This last NFL draft, he sent a message of congratulations the the second pick, a young white man that has made racial comments in his past, rather than the number 1 pick, and African American.

Why WOULD a team with several African Americans even want to go?

This thread is no longer about basketball and should be closed.

I am disappointed about several commenters. I have to wonder if it is a matter of generations. We are all humans out here, struggling. There is no need to single out people by their ethnicity/age/gender, or to define a team by the same points.... wow, it blows my mind. Hopefully we can get to a point in our culture where we do not notice someone's ethnicity and can like/dislike on merits and not some useless traits.

Mods, please close this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by slickguser View Post
    This thread is no longer about basketball and should be closed.

I am disappointed about several commenters. I have to wonder if it is a matter of generations. We are all humans out here, struggling. There is no need to single out people by their ethnicity/age/gender, or to define a team by the same points.... wow, it blows my mind. Hopefully we can get to a point in our culture where we do not notice someone's ethnicity and can like/dislike on merits and not some useless traits.

Mods, please close this thread.
    When the media uses race, gender and age as a scorecard on election night it disgusts me. Should be illegal

I agree the thread should be closed. It is no longer about basketball but politics, and that is what got the Crosby closed.

I would prefer to enjoy basketball with other Zag fans...but will not back down on what I perceive to be a wrong.

http://vozwire.com/donald-trump-anno..._lLmfh0m-ZZnTM

donald-trump-announces-hell-skip-teacher-of-the-year-ceremony-after-black-teacher-wins-the-prestigious-award

Great post, Willandi. And Bart, I liked your post as well.
    +1.

This is a democracy, or it used to be. Choosing to shun this despicable disgrace of a "man" is everyone's right. The office has been disgraced to degree that there is currently nothing to "respect". No details should be needed by anyone paying attention.

And I'm not the one to "go there"; this is an opinion that is in direct response to the OP, that the mods have for some reason chosen to leave on the board thus far.

Rather than take one of the existing Pro/Con sides in this culture war battle, how about this:

The president should invite the winning teams of Mens and Womens to come play a combined mixed-gender public game for charity somewhere in DC in a public place like the Mall in front of the WA Monument, the Wizards' stadium, etc, even if it means setting up a temporary court. Sell tickets and give the money to a local youth hoops program. Have the little kids from local YMCA or Boys and Girls Clubs help run the event and meet the players. If they want to hold the after party or reception at the whitehouse, let anyone go who played.
    Last edited by LTownZag; 05-01-2019 at 01:43 PM.