Thread: Is Cycling Dead?

Unhappy Is Cycling Dead?

I am not a cycler, but as a retiree and habitual sports junkie,I watch and read about the Tour and the sports stars. What has caused the malodorous scent that seems to surround every International cycling event and every guy who is a consistant winner. Do the folks who control International cycling have a death wish?, Are the French so full of venom from their own miserable showings in the Tour lately that they want it to self-distruct?, Or is the sport merely suffering from the ME first narcissism that seems to be affecting the other sports? A sad commentary on a once proud sport!
    [/QUOTE]“Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team.”
    ― Scottie Pippen

Given that cycling's most brutal and important race with numerous mountain stages is being led by a Dutchman (Holland being a perfectly flat country), it cannot be good news for the Mandarins of Bicycling, assuming their are Mandarins of Bicycling.

At least with a Dutchman, you probably don't have to worry about growth hormones and the like, but they might want to test for THC. Would that help performance???

I wonder if his cleats are wooden?

It has been an entertaining Tour so far. Thank God for TiVO - 5 a.m. is way too early. Today's stage in the Pyrenees was particularly good, although it looks like Vinokourov is a gone goose. Its too bad - people in Kazakhstan need some good news after the success of that awful and hilarious Borat movie.

Doping is a huge problem, and is undermining the credibility of a great sport, but I don't know what more they can do. The French promoters were reportedly unhappy with the UCI's most recent pronouncements about Rasmussen. We're going to get our share of that scent when Bonds hits two more home runs.

There are noticeably fewer American fans on the side of the road, but the crowd is still pretty wild in the mountains. No "Devilman" sightings yet.

Zagco: Michael "The Chicken" Rasmussen is Danish not Dutch, although he rides for a Dutch team. You are hereby sentenced to one "Dutch Oven".

Allow me to revise my comments. Yes, cycling is dead.

After Positive Test, Team Quits Tour de France

By EDWARD WYATT
    July 25, 2007

PAU, France, July 25 – Alexander Vinokourov, the Kazakh cyclist who was considered a favorite to win the Tour de France, failed a drug test after the first of his two recent stage victories and, along with his entire Astana team, withdrew from the Tour on Tuesday, further plunging the sport into a doping crisis that has eroded the legitimacy of its most prestigious event.

Just weeks after Tour de France officials proclaimed this year’s race to be the start of a new drug-free era, Vinokourov tested positive for the presence of foreign blood cells in his system after his victory in the 13th stage Saturday. He was one of the most high-profile riders in the field, which was depleted from the start because many of the world’s top riders were embroiled in their own doping scandals and barred from participating.

At a news conference Tuesday, a visibly angry Christian Prudhomme, the director of the Tour, said that the riders “are playing Russian roulette” by continuing to try to sneak doping practices past cycling officials. He called for an overhaul of the system of testing riders, which is overseen not by the Tour but by the International Cycling Union.

“The system doesn’t work,” he said, jabbing the table with his index finger. “A system that doesn’t defend the world’s most popular cycling race is a failure, and it can’t carry on.”

The news was the third drug scandal to arise during this year’s Tour. ...
    New York Times

youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Crap! He's DANISH riding for a Dutch team?!? CRAP! This really screws my analysis up. Normally, I root for Scandanavians, being one myself, but I'm conflicted here.....

Clearly, endurance cycling athletes have gone so far down the road of using performance enhancing drugs that there really is no hope anymore.

I wonder if it can be stopped?

Well, it looks like Rasmussen won the whole thing today. (as long as he doesn't fall apart in the final time trial like he did a few years ago)

Of couse he'll probably test positive for doping in a few days, so why bother...
    youtube - "The Runner"

If you can find a clean rider that finished the race you will find your winner. In other words... nobody won.

Cycling has made Barry Bonds look like nothing.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Cycling has made Barry Bonds look like nothing.
    Didn't Bonds do that to himself?
    youtube - "The Runner"

Quote Originally Posted by lothar98zag View Post
    Didn't Bonds do that to himself?
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

It's funny, as disgusted as I am with the whole sport right now, I still got to work late today because I got hooked into watching the final mountain stage on Versus. Rasmussen was terrific, fending off the constant attacks from team Discovery to ride off with the stage win. He's also an odd duck, repeatedly waving angrily at the motorcycle cameramen ahead of him, Leipheimer and Contador.

If he's clean, it will be a great win.

As usual the camera work is sometimes breathtaking and the Versus commentators (Liggett and Sherwin) are first rate.

Quote Originally Posted by treehorn View Post
    It's funny, as disgusted as I am with the whole sport right now, I still got to work late today because I got hooked into watching the final mountain stage on Versus. Rasmussen was terrific, fending off the constant attacks from team Discovery to ride off with the stage win. He's also an odd duck, repeatedly waving angrily at the motorcycle cameramen ahead of him, Leipheimer and Contador.

If he's clean, it will be a great win.

As usual the camera work is sometimes breathtaking and the Versus commentators (Liggett and Sherwin) are first rate.

(even on the "late to work" part)
    youtube - "The Runner"

another positive and another team is out of the race:

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/tdf200...ory?id=2948264

youtube - "The Runner"

It just makes me wonder what would happen after every pro team that wins a game had to submit to a drug test after every win (since they run tests after every stage on the Tour)

The thing is that you can never really trust the Dutch.

Default Dead, Deader, Deadest

Rasmussen out of Tour de France

By JEROME PUGMIRE
    ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

GOURETTE, France -- Tour de France leader Michael Rasmussen was removed from the race by his team after winning Wednesday's stage, the biggest blow yet in cycling's doping-tainted premier event.

"Michael Rasmussen has been sent home for violating (the team's) internal rules," Rabobank team spokesman Jacob Bergsma told The Associated Press by phone.

The expulsion, which Bergsma said was ordered by the Dutch team sponsor, was linked to "incorrect" information that Rasmussen gave to the team's sports director over his whereabouts last month. Rasmussen, who also has been suspended from the team, missed random drug tests May 8 and June 28, saying he was in Mexico. But a former rider, Davide Cassani, told Denmark's Danmarks Radio on Wednesday that he had seen Rasmussen in Italy in mid-June.

Bergsma said the team had not decided yet whether its other riders would take the start on Thursday in Pau.

The 33-year-old Danish rider, who's led since July 15, looked set to win the race which ends on Sunday in Paris.

As Rasmussen raced toward what would have been his first Tour victory, Tour officials questioned why he was allowed to take the start on July 7 in London, England.

"We cannot say that Rasmussen cheated, but his flippancy and his lies on his whereabouts had become unbearable," Tour director Christian Prudhomme told the AP.

The leader of cycling's governing body applauded the decision.

"My immediate reaction is, why didn't they do this at the end of June, when they had the same information," Pat McQuaid said. "The team decided to pull him out; that's their prerogative. I can only applaud that. It's a zero-tolerance policy, and it's a lesson for the future."

With Rasmussen out, Spanish rider Alberto Contador of the Discovery Channel team moved into the race lead. ...
    Seattle PI

Un-frikkin real!

(at least he wasn't caught doping during the race...yet...)
    youtube - "The Runner"

Who would have ever guessed that bikers would end up being the biggest dopers?!?

Personally, I always thought frisbee players were the biggest dopers, but now I know better.

BARRY HAS [B][/BNEVER TESTED POSI]TIVE FOR PERFORMANCE ENHANCING DRUGS!!!

He has also made no excuses for his disdain for the media...

The media doesn't like him, the story fulfills itself. Until Barry tests POSITIVE for steroids, I'm on his side.

Innocent until PROVEN guilty.

RE Tour: Rassmussen is disqualiflied because he has ignored team rules???? Who is in front now???

Oh those wacky Europeans!!!