• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zag 77
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

GU Football Stadium 1949

In the photo above, Gonzaga University’s football stadium dominates the east side of the campus. Before World War II, the university had a pretty good run as a football school. In 1920, the Jesuit school hired Gus Dorais, a legendary Notre Dame quarterback, to coach the team, especially to compete against Washington State College of Pullman. In 1922, a football stadium was built on campus. The 11,000 seats were at capacity for the WSC game.

Maybe somebody smarter than me can post the photo. The stadium basically sat where the old football intramural field sat until the Foley Library covered up what was the south end zone.
  • Angelo Roncalli
    Bleeds Bulldog Blue
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zag 77 View Post
    http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...nd-now-gu-cus/

Maybe somebody smarter than me can post the photo. The stadium basically sat where the old football intramural field sat until the Foley Library covered up what was the south end zone.

GONZAGA STADIUM

At the time of its construction in 1922, Gonzaga Stadium cost $100,000 and was among the top facilities in the west. Up to 12,000 spectators could watch football, track and field, or baseball from its grandstands and press boxes. The north end zone of the stadium was located just south of DeSmet Hall, with the south end zone where the Foley Center is today. The first football game played on its grounds occurred on Oct. 14, 1922, when Gonzaga hosted Washington State.

In 1943, 10,000 fans witnessed Henry Armstrong defeat Joey Silva in a boxing match that is believed to mark the largest crowd ever recorded at the facility. The 1949 demolition of the stadium cost $36,000.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

• Birddog
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Hmmm, the picture dated 1928 shows a Brass. I know Herman Brass played around '36/'37. I think that was about the same time that Pete Higgins played. Was there a Brass that preceded him? I don't recall a Brass playing in the Houston Stockton era.

I also recall at least part of the stadium as a kid. If it was totally demolished in 1949, then my memory must be faulty. Gamagin, do you remember? I have a memory of messing around under the stands with my brother on the way home after Sunday Mass. The reason I remember is because on at least one occasion, we got in trouble for scuffing up my new pair of "Sunday shoes". It was probably a little after Easter, hence the new shoes.

If you had access to some super military type imaging software, the childhood homes of at least 2 regular posters could be seen in the aerial photo. I'm guessing the aerial shot was taken in the mid to late 40's, early 50's if I'm correct. It appears as though the W side bleachers are already down. They are clearly visible in the last photo. The engineering building (Dillon Hall? now Herak Center) is already up. Wasn't it built in '49?

PS I see in the article the photo is 1949. At the top of the photo you can clearly see the building that housed the University Pharmacy and Joey's. You can also see the IGA and Tonani's hardware store.
      Last edited by Birddog; 05-02-2012, 12:25 AM.
      Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
      Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
      All mimsy were the borogoves,
      And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• zag4life2011
        Bulldog Fan
        • Aug 2011

Interestingly, I believe the original plan for the stadium was for it to have seating to hold +25,000. Unfortunately, much of this planning took place immediately before the war and the price of concrete for the bleachers skyrocketed. The book written by Fr. Schoenberg back in the 1960's gives a great summary of the history of the stadium. If you can get your hands on a copy I would recommend it.

Comment

Working...
        X