Thread: How's Cross Country Recruiting Going?

Default How's Cross Country Recruiting Going?

We're starting to get reports on how the other WCC teams are doing with their cross country recruiting. Any news yet on new Bulldogs? I am hoping that the team can make a push toward 4th place in the conference meet this fall. (UP, BYU, and USF might be a bit too far ahead of the Zags for the time being).

I don't have any special insight into GU's recruiting efforts, but I will say that Tyson is to be commended for his development of his current team.

First, they have a massive squad out for both the men's and women's teams. Very deep rosters. It seems to me that Tyson had a similar result in his Mead days with loads of kids coming out for the team.

Second, the kids he's getting to come out are working hard and getting faster. Even though the men's team finished 5th in the conference last year, it was the fastest conference performance Gonzaga has ever had. This is relevant as they run on the same course every year, going back 30 years. So it is a good point of comparison.

And, school records are going by the wayside at a rapid rate this past winter and this spring on the track.

Tyson is doing an awesome job with limited resources. I'm very happy he's at Gonzaga. I have zero doubt that if Gonzaga would commit actual money for scholarships that he would quickly have the team competing in the top echelons of the WCC. Considering who the top teams in the WCC are also players on the national stage, thats saying something.

More responsive to the OP, I read in the Blanchette article about Emily Thomas that Connor McCandless will be a zag next year.

Connor this past weekend picked up a 2nd in the 1600m and third in the 3200 m at the WA State 3A track meet.

I believe his PR's in those events are 4:09 and 9:03.

Connor is a big time recruit. Welcome!!