Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: University of the Pacific officially joining the WCC

Default Location, location, location

Three WCC teams will be able to take a very short bus ride to Stockton. For 3 other WCC teams it will be a very short air trip. Let's face it the WCC is a California league and most teams in the league probably like it like that. If Pacific has a nice 6000 plus seat arena they will be able to ramp up their basketball program if they desire to do so.

Two steps forward (byu entering, and SMU stepping up), one step back (this.)

crap move imo.

Default strange deal on its face . . .

there must be some advantage for the WCC or they wouldn't "adopt" another needy member. Can't just be proximity. Can it ?

Got to be "something." Would like to see what it is.
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

The league is determined to have an even number of teams for travel purposes. They want everyone to have a travel partner.....even if it means damaging the league's RPI (I guess).

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    The league is determined to have an even number of teams for travel purposes. They want everyone to have a travel partner.....even if it means damaging the league's RPI (I guess).
    Then why not Seattle U. What if BYU leaves, do we then get two additional bottom-feeders? I sense a lack of foresight...

Scheduling all sports with 9 teams is a nightmare. It's not just about hoops.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I agree. There must be some pretty substantial travel expense reductions by adding Pacific.

Does the RPI hit cost the WCC a dance card in the tourney? 3 teams to 2 teams this year as an example

Two games for each team in the WCC of a poor RPI team and everyones average is not so nice (maybe evens out if the OOC games that they replace were cupcakes-- but you would need to work pretty hard to find cupcakes that have that bad of RPIs).

Please no.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Over the past ten years Pacific has been pretty solid. They have the infrastructure to make a commitment to improving in basketball.

I may not like it, but we did add a team that is considerably better over the last decade than most of our other conference foes and that is positioned better to improve. So, I'm not going to jump off a cliff if this happens.

If they really wanted to add someone, wouldn't Denver make more sense? Fairly logical travel partner for BYU, better men's basketball (at least this year), similarly loose Methodist ties, nice market...
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Default Phooey

Sounds like a power play by the California schools is afoot. I hope they don't get away with it. If you are going to add a low-RPI school just to balance out the schedule, then SU would add a little north-south balance. It would also make a better travel partner for GU, UP and BYU.

Pacific lacks mens soccer and m/w rowing and has water polo, womens field hockey, softball and swimming. That is going to make for gaps in scheduling and they will still have to play in another league for some of their sports.

Do we really know anything more about BYU's situation than we did last month?

Frankly I do not think the WCC should add ANY low-RPI basketball schools like U of P, SU or DU right now. I would urge the league to stand down on expansion right now. I can see where BYU might leave and then we get stuck with another low RPI school to make up for it.

I would rather revert to an 8 team league if it came to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
    Should know later today:

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.d...315/-1/NEWSMAP

Pacific is sort of a faith-based university; it still has ties to the Methodist Church, though the relationship is not emphasized:

http://www.pacific.edu/About-Pacific...Questions.html
    Terrible move for our conference.

Once this happens, GU MUST drop the "Longwood" game. We simply won't have enough slots for decent OOC teams, and the slots we do have will have more work to do to counteract an 18 game conference slate, as opposed to 14 or 16 as in years past.

I will say that Pacific is a much better addition than Seattle U, for those who think Seattle U is a viable addition.

But this move makes no sense and it is appalling that the WCC is this short-sighted.

Default Creighton

Creighton is being wooed by the A-10. If they are looking to leave the MWC, then the WCC would be a much better fit. Good RPI. Faith based ( well, they are Jesuit, anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    Scheduling all sports with 9 teams is a nightmare. It's not just about hoops.
    It's all about the money, and hoops = the largest revenue source our conference has. So it is about hoops.

They didn't even add a school with an emphasis on faith which surprises me. How does UoP conform to the ideals of the current conference members? They don't. And they don't add any revenue. So this seems to be a "hire someone to fill a spot" not hire the right person scenario. This shows poor leadership at the conference level.

I can't justify it in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    Three WCC teams will be able to take a very short bus ride to Stockton. For 3 other WCC teams it will be a very short air trip. Let's face it the WCC is a California league and most teams in the league probably like it like that. If Pacific has a nice 6000 plus seat arena they will be able to ramp up their basketball program if they desire to do so.
    Unless I'm dead wrong, Pacific has no rivalry with any current WCC teams. To expect that they will fill that 6000 seat arena with LMU, USD, Portland, or any others besides Gonzaga and BYU is not based in reality, given the disastrous economic situation in Stockton.

The day that Pacific draws 6000 for (fill in anybody but GU/BYU) is the day I get a tattoo.

The only other reason I have for getting a tat is to celebrate the Zags winning the NCAA.

Default Who else?????

stop with the Seattle U stuff----they were listed at #230--so they kill an RPI as well--we dont play football and that is what will keep us from leaving to a higher rated conference or bringing in another competitive team--I would love to see utah state or NM state...not going to happen----and Denver---no way---nobody knows Denver U as a BBall program--and the "market" issue is moot, because of C state and the buffs and and a pro team called the nuggets are the story---I would prefer to leave it at nine and let the conference use their heads to work out this scary schedule issue that is ....the uneven number

Does the financial savings of adding a 10th "centrally located" team for sports other than basketball offset the additional basketball revenue split? I don't know.

Pacific, institutionally, is a good fit for the conference (as is Seattle). Pacific has the facilities to support WCC athletics, where Seattle does not (but hopefully someday soon, they will).

I think it is short sighted to only look at basketball revenues... yes that is very important, but looking over a longer term than just last season's RPI, most WCC schools would do well to replace 2 games vs. Cal State School for the Blind and Longwood A&M with 2 games vs. Pacific...

Maybe the conference is also thinking that having a 10th team for the non-men's basketball sports would be a good thing schedule-wise. As the BCS conferences make additional pacts to schedule with each other (like the Pac 12 & Big 10 agreement), it will be more difficult for the non-BCS conferences to schedule quality OOC opponents...
    Last edited by PilotNut; 03-28-2012 at 11:03 AM. Reason: additional thoughts.
    Go Pilots!

this is incredibly stupid.

GU Class of '07

most WCC schools would do well to replace 2 games vs. Cal State School for the Blind and Longwood A&M with 2 games vs. Pacific...
    The emphasis would be on most. From Gonzaga's point of view, they need to have some guarantee games thrown into the non-league sked for revenue purposes and also to get a break from all the heavy hitters they play during November and December. They would much rather play home games vs. Longwood in November and UC-Riverside in December than play Pacific twice (once on the road) during league play.

Last season was the worse RPI season for Pacific in the last ten.
    Looking at the body of work in the last ten years, they are better than another mentioned team, with the exception of Creighton, and with the geographic limitations on them joining the WCC, Pacific is a good get (not great, but good) for WCC.

They have been a top 150 RPI for most of the decade in a weak league. They were one of powers for a decade in the BWC. They were mostly a young JC dominated team, they will be better next season. Think a team like San Diego last season or USF in recent times. Now a bigger name might of help the WCC, but they are a much better get the Seattle U in terms of recent Basketball success. Denver had their best season last year, but nothing matches Pacific, as recently as the mid 2000s they were rank in the top 25. The had most of their success in the NCAA tourney has been in the eight years. With a higher profile in the WCC and ESPN the mix, they will not be a drag to the league. Rather, they will improve and will be challenging for a post season berth (NIT, CIT or CBI) in the next few years and maybe a tourney bid in the next five.

They were probably the best team out there to get that fits the niche of the WCC.
    ----
    Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Pacific - recent RPI finishes:

2011/12 = 290
    2010/11 = 190
    2009/10 = 128
    2008/09 = 148
    2007/08 = 138
    2006/07 = 204
    2005/06 = 88
    2004/05 = 14
    2003/04 = 61

They really lost momentum after 2006.....

Pacific in the near future will need to replace its basketball coach. Bob Thomason has been there 24 years. He isn't getting any younger.

Default McCulloh's vote

Any idea which way President McCulloh is leaning? Will he likely put much stock in what Few and AD Roth say about this?

Unlike the Seattle U debate, it looks like there isn't much debate about Pacific, no one wants them!

Quote Originally Posted by Zag 77 View Post
    Any idea which way President McCulloh is leaning? Will he likely put much stock in what Few and AD Roth say about this?
    One would assume that their advice, especially Mike Roth's, would be heavily relied upon.