Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: WARNING!!! Extreme Frustration Contained Within

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Tacoma WA
    Posts
    10,749

    Default WARNING!!! Extreme Frustration Contained Within

    I'm SO sick of seeing the player who sets a pick "pop" out to the 3 point line!!! For @$#&sake, whatever happened to the "roll"? Can GU please take the ball to the hole? Pargo does it twice; DRav does it for the first time at the 3:00 minute mark and gets fouled.

    Can GU make a free throw? This team and the KC look disinterested. Are you kidding me? This is a game of the top two teams in conference. It's sad when the ESPN announcers are "propping" up the game more the than home team's fans of a team trying to defend the longest home winning streak in the nation. Pitiful. Embarrassing.

    Memo to Pargo: You cannot, I repeat, CANNOT start the final play of the half at 30 feet out when the clock reaches 4 seconds. Everyone at some point needs to learn that 2 + 2 is 4. Miss it once, understandable; miss it twice, satisfactory; miss it 4 out of the last 5, unacceptable.

    I won't even start on guarding the three--It's only a matter of time when that pint of Arrogant ####### comes back up.
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

    Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

    No Foo for You!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UberZagFan View Post
    I'm SO sick of seeing the player who sets a pick "pop" out to the 3 point line!!! For @$#&sake, whatever happened to the "roll"? Can GU please take the ball to the hole? Pargo does it twice; DRav does it for the first time at the 3:00 minute mark and gets fouled.

    Can GU make a free throw? This team and the KC look disinterested. Are you kidding me? This is a game of the top two teams in conference. It's sad when the ESPN announcers are "propping" up the game more the than home team's fans of a team trying to defend the longest home winning streak in the nation. Pitiful. Embarrassing.

    Memo to Pargo: You cannot, I repeat, CANNOT start the final play of the half at 30 feet out when the clock reaches 4 seconds. Everyone at some point needs to learn that 2 + 2 is 4. Miss it once, understandable; miss it twice, satisfactory; miss it 4 out of the last 5, unacceptable.

    I won't even start on guarding the three--It's only a matter of time when that pint of Arrogant ####### comes back up.

    Should I mention GU's even getting the calls?

    I feel ya man.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Just north of I-80
    Posts
    46,422

    Default

    Pargo can drive a good fan to drink. . .now if he could only get a drive to hole game in and game out. . .can't wait to see him next year
    Last edited by RenoZag; 02-12-2007 at 11:01 PM.


    Basketball Web Sites Listing

    Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UberZagFan View Post
    I'm SO sick of seeing the player who sets a pick "pop" out to the 3 point line!!! For @$#&sake, whatever happened to the "roll"? Can GU please take the ball to the hole? Pargo does it twice; DRav does it for the first time at the 3:00 minute mark and gets fouled.
    YES!! Exactly. Get creative!

    Can GU make a free throw? This team and the KC look disinterested. Are you kidding me? This is a game of the top two teams in conference. It's sad when the ESPN announcers are "propping" up the game more the than home team's fans of a team trying to defend the longest home winning streak in the nation. Pitiful. Embarrassing.
    Agreed, is the KC there tonight? Don't be frontrunners - give the team a boost with a little energy.

    Memo to Pargo: You cannot, I repeat, CANNOT start the final play of the half at 30 feet out when the clock reaches 4 seconds. Everyone at some point needs to learn that 2 + 2 is 4. Miss it once, understandable; miss it twice, satisfactory; miss it 4 out of the last 5, unacceptable.
    Oh you're prophetic. It sucks when I'm yelling at my TV to go. Everyone else just stands around....sad.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Tacoma WA
    Posts
    10,749

    Default

    I wonder if Parasail would be as annoying even if he didn't say the only reason he transferred was to beat the Zags? As of now, I'd say yes.
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

    Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

    No Foo for You!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Just north of I-80
    Posts
    46,422

    Default

    Let's foul a three point shooter every game !! It's so fun to watch !


    Basketball Web Sites Listing

    Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Just north of I-80
    Posts
    46,422

    Default

    A run, a run, perchance to dream a run !!


    Basketball Web Sites Listing

    Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Southwestern Spokanistan
    Posts
    2,073

    Default Just got back from the game

    and, I for one, would lay off the KC the house was rocking for the entire second half and GU (the team - Josh included) didn't give em much to pull for (in the first) between missed free throws (Oh my Gosh! that was horrible) and very, very ill timed media time outs (thank you ESPN)- the Crowd WILLED those runs in the second half - and not just the KC - the expensive seats were rocking too my ears are still ringing.

    I put this on a fired up Santa Clara team - a small GU lineup (Thanks Josh, again yes he would have had an impact) and cold rims at the line - nothing more...I guess we'll just have to win the WCC tournament after all.
    How to ride a horse:
    Step One - Mount the horse.
    Step Two - Stay mounted ...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 94zagoldwomanasherdsmen View Post
    and, I for one, would lay off the KC the house was rocking for the entire second half and GU (the team - Josh included) didn't give em much to pull for (in the first) between missed free throws (Oh my Gosh! that was horrible) and very, very ill timed media time outs (thank you ESPN)- the Crowd WILLED those runs in the second half - and not just the KC - the expensive seats were rocking too my ears are still ringing.

    I put this on a fired up Santa Clara team - a small GU lineup (Thanks Josh, again yes he would have had an impact) and cold rims at the line - nothing more...I guess we'll just have to win the WCC tournament after all.
    I agree with your comments about the KC in the 2nd half - the first posts were talking about the 1st half.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Southwestern Spokanistan
    Posts
    2,073

    Default sorry, started typing

    before I looked at the post times.

    My bad
    How to ride a horse:
    Step One - Mount the horse.
    Step Two - Stay mounted ...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    987

    Default

    Roger Doger - no worries!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    58

    Default simple thoughts

    kc was great...good inspirstion. officiating PAC10( pretty awful consistent). team effort was there but drained. too bad FEW gave up in the last minute...3 possession game, with 2 tol, "just sat there." Sad and Pitiful

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    14,112

    Default 94

    The media timeouts come after the first dead ball after the clock goes below 16:00, 12:00, 8:00 & 4:00 in each half. Neither ESPN (nor any other network) controls that. It's a result of what happens on the floor & when it happens. FYI.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    179

    Default

    Don't even talk about the KC in this game, we poured our hearts into this game. Forgive us if we may have been a little shell-shocked when we got down 14-0 AT HOME to a team we've beat 13 times in a row. Forgive us if we didn't get fired up about missed free throws and them draining 3's all night. How about you remember that old saying "for every finger you point elsewhere, 3 point back at you". While I'm sure you weren't at this game (as you posted DURING it) the old people (which I assume it is safe to categorize you as) were sooo out of it first half. No energy. Even late into the 2nd half they were quiet. The KC was ROCKING once we got past the shock. The last 10 minutes of the first half, and entire 2nd half we were as loud as the UW game. That was OUR winning streak, WE wanted it to keep going, and WE are sitting in our rooms or houses moping tonight.

    Talk to the old people who were leaving early, sitting on their hands with their team down 19 (and starting a comeback), and telling the KC to get louder during commercials then SITTING down and being quiet once the game started. If you've got a problem with the fans at this game, start with them. A few days from now when you're done dealing with them, you can come at the KC with everything you've got. I wish you the best of luck...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Nashvegas, TN
    Posts
    3,290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogshawn View Post
    Don't even talk about the KC in this game, we poured our hearts into this game. Forgive us if we may have been a little shell-shocked when we got down 14-0 AT HOME to a team we've beat 13 times in a row. Forgive us if we didn't get fired up about missed free throws and them draining 3's all night. How about you remember that old saying "for every finger you point elsewhere, 3 point back at you". While I'm sure you weren't at this game (as you posted DURING it) the old people (which I assume it is safe to categorize you as) were sooo out of it first half. No energy. Even late into the 2nd half they were quiet. The KC was ROCKING once we got past the shock. The last 10 minutes of the first half, and entire 2nd half we were as loud as the UW game. That was OUR winning streak, WE wanted it to keep going, and WE are sitting in our rooms or houses moping tonight.

    Talk to the old people who were leaving early, sitting on their hands with their team down 19 (and starting a comeback), and telling the KC to get louder during commercials then SITTING down and being quiet once the game started. If you've got a problem with the fans at this game, start with them. A few days from now when you're done dealing with them, you can come at the KC with everything you've got. I wish you the best of luck...
    I was about to say the same thing. I'm pissed off, this isn't on the KC. This was the loudest the KC has been all year.

    And after the loss, when the team gathered at mid court... the ENITRE student section started chanting "We are GU." Don't get that on TV, but it definitely gives you chills in person, even at the lowest point since I've been here at GU.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    495

    Default I heard it

    "We Are GU" came across loud and clear on my TV near the end of the game. One of my proudest moments this year was knowing that my kid was in that crowd making a statement on national television. She is as loyal as they come and she is not alone. Great job KC.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    434

    Default

    Your point about Pargo is right on. I really like the way he has played this year, but his end of half/shot clock/game play is confusing. I can't believe he hasn't been told to go earlier. He consistently waits 2 seconds too late to make his move. I understand holding for the last shot, but you can't start your move with 3-4 seconds left, 30 feet out. That leaves no chance for a tip, or any chance to pass when the defense collapses. Usually, if Pargo does get a pass of, the recipient is receiving the ball with 0.5 seconds left and is too rushed to get up a decent shot. Personally, I'd rather have the opposing team have a shot at a 75 foot heave as time expires if that means we might get a better look.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Tacoma WA
    Posts
    10,749

    Default

    Shawn...come now. You know what I was talking about. And quite frankly, I'm a little surprised you're defending the crowd. I know in my first reference I said the "team and KC" but later I referenced to whole crowd. But you know it starts with the KC. Also, I was referring to the first half. And if you want to defend the first half effort be my guest. I thought it was embarrassing.

    I am sure I am not alone. I suspect many around the country were pretty suprised to hear the ESPN announcers comment on the fact that they were scared to talk it was so quiet. I am pretty sure they referenced the cliché "you could hear a pin drop". Watch the tape. Now I agree with you that the whole crowd was quiet, but don't you think it's on the KC to keep things loud?

    Now, after I made that post the effort improved tremendously. The second half was great (I'm not so sure I'd agree that the last 10 minutes of the first half was good--there were some late first half spurts followed by KC involvement but not a consistent 10 minutes). The KC came out hard in the second half and from my seat at home (yes I watched the game at home in Tacoma with my kids in bed if it really makes a difference) I thought the crowd contributed to the runs GU made.

    I'm sure you were as frustrated as me during that first half. But before you go defending the KC or the team's effort watch the tape. I dare you to find another home game of this importance where the crowd (KC included) was this quiet for 15 minutes of the first half. Can't be done.

    the old people (which I assume it is safe to categorize you as)
    I suppose it depends on how you define "old"--maybe to you I fall into that category but I am still denying that label. I graduated when this whole run "truly" started -- back in '92 when Jeff Brown led GU to twenty wins. I was there through '96 when I graduated from law school. I was there for several years when Nash kick our butts and had to watch that--but our house was still loud even when it was happening.

    I'm not sure why you feel the need to categorize me one way or the other. Are you trying to imply that my age somehow translates to my involvement during a game? If so you'd be wrong. I've been to the K2 several times--mostly sitting next to El Voce, who sits up behind the K2 as you know. In those seats, I usually am always on my feet and usually making noise. Even games I dont' see in K2, like the BIS, I am on my feet clapping or cheering most of the game. SO WHAT IS YOUR POINT??? How about you remember that old saying Don't paint with such broad strokes!
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

    Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

    No Foo for You!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    16,257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UberZagFan View Post
    I suspect many around the country were pretty suprised to hear the ESPN announcers comment on the fact that they were scared to talk it was so quiet. I am pretty sure they referenced the cliché "you could hear a pin drop". Watch the tape. Now I agree with you that the whole crowd was quiet, but don't you think it's on the KC to keep things loud?
    One point -

    They were talking about how quiet it gets when GU is shooting FTs. It was a compliment to the GU crowd.

    - ok, carry on w/ your rant...
    .
    youtube - "The Runner"



    Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

    Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

    Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    179

    Default

    HAHAHA, thanks for pointing this out Lothar. That really changes things. I'm watching the game now and the KC certainly isn't LOUD in the first half, but we aren't quiet either. Chants every possession, noise during FT's, etc.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Massaciuccoli, Italy
    Posts
    955

    Default No Blame Environment

    After airline crashes they always have a root cause analysis. I would put the noise (or lack there of) way down the line in terms of its ###ential contribution to our loss last night. I think many of the points about strategic breakdowns (eg., Pargo before the half) are correct, but miss the fact that the Broncos were shooting out of their A** most of the night. I don't figure they can do that again, and probably we can shoot free throws better, and who knows, maybe we can beat them, assuming we make the finals.

    If we had to lose a game, I am glad it was to another Jesuit institution, one with solid academics, and one that has contributed indirectly to the success of our own program. Dick Davey is a great guy (sure would like to know what kind of a fly rod Mark Few got for him). His team probably would have won last night even if Friday night hadn't happened as it did. I don't think there is much you can do when a team makes 2 out of every 3 shots. Amazing!

    I wouldn't lose heart Zag fans. You know what Yogi said about the fat lady. And her next gig is in Portland. But I sure would quite blaming people. It is so victim like of us. Zags are not victims. Zags are gamers. And we bounce back. And when we do. That spells trouble for the Broncos. We got a rubber match coming up. They won't shoot like that again, and we won't miss that many free throws again. It might be time to look at a man to man defensive scheme again. What have we got to lose?

    Sili

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Massaciuccoli, Italy
    Posts
    955

    Default

    What I had intended to write above, and somehow it came out wrong was that in a root cause analysis, after an airlline crash, investigators explore all the possible contributing factors, and in my mind, the KC couldn't have made too much difference, neither the old farts that sat on their culi, nor the misspent Friday night. When a team shoots 60% you gotta take your hat off to them, and say, nice job. Next time you better pray to the same saint you did last night, and hope she (Santa Chiara) is listening as carefully next time we meet. Nobody can shoot over 60% twice in a row, can they?

    Sili

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Tacoma WA
    Posts
    10,749

    Default

    Ok, let's not forget this was a rant posted at the half or just prior to.

    The comment was that the team and the KC look disinterested...which if you watch the first 10 minutes of the game, I can't see how you anyone can disagree. Pargo was the only player that looked pissed they were down by 10 plus. And I agree in a "root cause" analysis, the KC or actually, the whole crowd's malaise did not make a difference.

    But Sili, this I disagree with "When a team shoots 60% you gotta take your hat off to them, and say, nice job." Sure sometimes a team shoots lights out against a team that played good defense. But sometimes, it's because the defending team played poor defense. More often, it's a combination of both. Good teams following games where the opponents shoot 60% (actually that was beyond the arc), self-evaluate on what needs to be done so it doesn't happen again--especially when its a reoccurring issue. This comment reminds me too much of what I hear after every Ms game the past two summers from Hargrove--at some point you have to not only "tip your cap" but realize your pitching stinks.
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

    Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

    No Foo for You!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lothar98zag View Post
    One point -

    They were talking about how quiet it gets when GU is shooting FTs. It was a compliment to the GU crowd.

    - ok, carry on w/ your rant...
    IIRC, they were comparing how quiet it was at that point in the game with how quiet it is when GU shoots FTs. I intend to watch the game again, so I'll check that. I'm not complaining at all with the crowd reaction. As someone posted elsewhere, yelling all the time without regard to what's happening on the floor doesn't make sense either. The crowd was with the game all the way as far as I could tell without being there.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    179

    Default

    Looking at the game RIGHT NOW, and as Bouldin is shooting free throws with 1 minute left in the first half, they say "Boy this place gets as quiet as any place in the country, you don't even want to talk here at the scorer's table at the sideline it is so quiet."

    In NO way is he talking about this being anything but DURING GONZAGA FREETHROWS. The freethrows are shot at 9:47 (47 minutes into my tape, so if you started it right at 9 check the 47 minute mark if you don't believe me).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •