Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Good Luck SMC

Good riddance! I'm excited they lost! North Carolina fans don't rout for Duke to win! St Mary's got served by a really bad purdue team who didn't even play all that well. Hummel was horrid and yes the guards are fast but can't shoot to save their lives! Gonzaga is bigger than the WCC haha

To be truthful, Robbie Hummel has had more surgeries than all of the episodes of Gray's Anatomy. It's a testimonial to his courage and love of the game that he even suits up. He may not have the lateral movement or the hops he once had, but he still has high court IQ and gives it his best shot. That kind of young man will succeed at whatever he does!
    [/QUOTE]“Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team.”
    ― Scottie Pippen

I was hoping St. Mary's would win today -- but they didn't. Advancing in the dance -- even to the round of 32 -- isn't easy.

Oh well, at least they have their "Championship belt" tee shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    I was hoping St. Mary's would win today -- but they didn't. Advancing in the dance -- even to the round of 32 -- isn't easy.

Oh well, at least they have their "Championship belt" tee shirts.
    Ha! Nice.

Default Schadenfreude?

SMC had this game in hand. All they had to do was execute an inbounds play get fouled and make FT's.

Terrible mental error.

I was rooting for them. Always root for WCC in the dance. That's the rule and it's good for all of us.

No sense in gloating. Tough luck Gaels. Here's a story about the scene in the locker room after the game. Ouch.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...tough-to-watch

ZZ

The way i see it they cost us(and every other school in the WCC) a couple of hundred thousand by not winning...think we can collect?

Default good game purdue

GoZAGsMang

I wanted to see Saint Mary's win today. I know a lot of people don't but I do like to see the conference perform well. This isn't like the Big 10 or Big East where the conferences will be lauded regardless of how teams fare in the tournament. I've never seen Saint Mary's play a game like that. They couldn't throw a ball in the Pacific Ocean for most of the game. And then to finally take the lead and turn it over like they did. Heartbreaking. I was shocked that's how the game went down. I also noticed how poor of a game Dellavedova had. Not just shooting wise but overall he looked nothing like himself. He was timid and rarely drove the basketball to the hoop. I'm not sure exactly how much of that was him being off and how much was Purdue playing good D, but he wasn't anywhere near the player he is against Gonzaga.

Here's Gregg Doyle's column from their locker room. Ouch. Feel for Clint, Rob and just what being a student athlete on the other side of game feel.

I feel really bad for Clint, it sounds like he is taking it pretty hard from an article posted on the gaels forum. The truth is that he kept them in tons of games with his 3pt shooting.

It's just terrible that has to be his last one.

Per the Article
    Steindl was sitting there with his head down, a towel around his neck, his hands alternately moving from his hair to his face. This was another car wreck I didn't want to see, but I had to know: Did one of the officials tell him ahead of time, as they are supposed to do, that he couldn't move on that inbounds play?

"They told me," Steindl said, and give him credit for honesty. "He said, 'On the spot.'"

I asked Steindl, "Did it not register?"

Steindl said, "It registered. I just ... moved anyway."

Ever done that before?

"No," Steindl said. "Not before today."

That was enough. I had to get out of there, but when I got to the door I turned around for one last look. Steindl had his hands in his hair.

I totally feel for Clint Steindl. I was rooting for SMC. The WCC is a conference where the teams have to represent outside of the conference. They just do. If not, the argument is that GU wins games at a high percentage because of the league. As much as some don't want to admit it, GU is a little guy, and little guys have to stick together. It does piss me off that SMC (and other WCC teams) find another gear when they play us. I believe that the early GU teams that were successful found that belief in themselves that they could win and applied it to EVERY game. The SMC team that I watched in the first half was not the one that beat us 2X this year.
    And I am also glad that they lost in a heartbreaker. Now they know what it feels like. I don't care how much I hated SMC, I wouldn't wish that on any player or fan. When I read their board and see someone who uses Adam Morrison's crying picture as their avatar, I think, "what a mean-spirited doosh." I can't imagine any GU poster here would use a picture of Clint with his jersey over his head. It would just be wrong.
    It looks like SMC has gotten themselves into a position where they can say a thing GU fans are used to saying....well, there's always next year.

Feel badly for the Gaels. Really, really wanted them to win this one. Hope Steindl can shrug it off soon. The worst part, maybe, is that was his last game as a Gael.

A very good team (that took us and BYU out twice this year) has its worst game at the worst possible time, NCAA time before a national audience. No joy here.

:[
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

i figure if the Gael's coulda visualized Purdue's jersey as sayin' ... Gonzaga ... well .. they'd have kicked Purdue's butt

Default St. Mary's

Just out of curiousty, did you hope the Gaels would lose last night, or hope they would win to prove the strenght of the WCC?

It was a tough call for me, Bennett is a great coach....but, our continued history makes me dislike the program! What's the one cats name for St Mary's (shooting guard...Aussie) that was about to cry after the game..I felt for him...it reminded me of Ammo and UCLA

YOU?????

Instead of starting a new thread, Colorado is setting pretty in their bracket!

I'm still laughing UDubs not in the Dance!

Wanted them to represent, but not losing sleep about a loss.

I wanted them to lose. If they had played some solid OOC games and not just leached off of our success I would have felt differently.

It was especially awesome to see them go down in such embarrassing fashion with the Holt missed layup, Steindl travel, and Page air ball. Dellavedova couldn't get a shot up when it mattered.
    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

Wouldnt have been disappointed with a win, but smirked when they lost
    "Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither." - Benjamin Franklin

Default Always ...

wishing our opponents great success ... after losing to us.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Wanted them to win. They had a very winnable draw. Time for me to quit giving Bennett the benefit of the doubt. He is held accountable to a higher standard now. His game plan on defense was a real head scratcher. He had ample time to adjust, but kept sticking to the same defense with the same player configuration.

Every position looked a half step behind on defense.
    I miss Mike Hart

Tough loss. The bottom line is the Gaels loss costs the Zags and the WCC money, so I want the WCC teams to win every tournament game they play, unless they play the Zags. Too bad Purdue and the nation didn't get to see the Gaels team we saw at SMC and the WCC tourney this season.
    It's not the size of the Bulldog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the Bulldog!

GO ZAGS!!!

Default Tears of Karma

SMC student section has reveled in Morrison's emotions after UCLA for years. Chants. Tee shirts. Signs.

I have one word: KARMA.

I wanted SMC to win to win yesterday, but now I want them to merely understand the pain that led Stache to tears.

I desperately wanted SMC to win - not b/c I love SMC (though I respect them) but b/c I want our conference to get some respect and taking down the Big East and Big Ten teams that they should helps that image. We can crticize them all day long but they DID come back instead of folding like WVU. And I feel bad for Steindle.

I put this loss squarely upon Bennett and not necessarily for his game decisions - how do you coach against 1-15 shooting? I blame him for the "deer in the headlights" look his team had to start the game. Same as Murray State. They got off to terrible starts in both games b/c they hadn't gotten out around the country early in the season, or much in the recent past, so that they get over that.

Yes, they can take down Gonzaga (in OT on nuetral court) split at home, b/c they are used to playing GU, get them out and playing more than one scheduled tough game (Baylor, Murray State was NOT scheduled it was Bracket Buster) out of conference, in a big arena and the result yesterday is different b/c they came roaring back when they got used to it and just played.

Quote Originally Posted by Stache View Post
    SMC student section has reveled in Morrison's emotions after UCLA for years. Chants. Tee shirts. Signs.

I have one word: KARMA.

I wanted SMC to win to win yesterday, but now I want them to merely understand the pain that led Stache to tears.
    And not a player on that SMC squad is half the player Morrison was. F*ck'em.

#gaeltears