Thread: Ammo at team USA tryouts???

Default Ammo at team USA tryouts???

I may have missed it but just read that Ammo is not expected at the mini camp for team USA? I didn't see Luke Ridenour's name listed either. Anyone have any insights?

USA hoops minicamp roster
    Kobe Bryant headlines the list of expected participants for the the three-day camp on the campus of UNLV that will be used to select the finalists for next month's FIBA Americas tournament, the regional qualifier for the 2008 Olympics. The roster must be finalized by Aug. 22.
    Expected participants:
    • Kobe Bryant
    • LeBron James
    • Carmelo Anthony
    • Dwight Howard
    • Chris Bosh
    • Shane Battier
    • Kirk Hinrich
    • Chauncey Billups
    • Amare Stoudemire
    • Michael Redd
    • Kevin Durant
    • Jason Kidd
    • Mike Miller
    • Tyson Chandler
    • Tayshaun Prince
    • J.J. Redick
    • Deron Williams

This article on the USA Basketball site says Ammo will be unavailable for this summer's tryouts. I'm not sure what that means exactly.

I saw somewhere a while back that Ammo was going to spend this summer working on conditioning (and some strength work) so as to have more stamina for the NBA season.

Thanks for the article and update. Last I saw was a writer was questioning why he was still on the team. Its been strange to me why the media has been so tough on Adam compared to the first year #s of many other guys drafted # 3 in their first year. Good luck Adam! Can't wait for your next season!!!

Probably because there was so much hype on him and how he was going to perform this past year. He got the short end of the stick by the media.
    "To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift..."

--Steve Prefontaine--

Its been strange to me why the media has been so tough on Adam compared to the first year #s of many other guys drafted # 3 in their first year.
    you had to have known that the "great white hype" would take more negative lashings than the typical nba draftee. all you have to do is read youtube comments on him and you will see he gets unfair treatment like no other regardless if its the press or common folk.

Past #3 overall picks and what they did as rookies.

2006 - Adam Morrison -respectable scoring average (11.8 points per game) but one of the 3 worst shooters in the nba percentage wise. Perhaps the worst defender in the nba (at least by reputation).

2005 - Deron Williams - Very solid rookie season. 10.8 points, 4.5 assists, started over half the team's games.

2004 - Ben Gordon - Similar role as Ammo as rookie. Was asked to bring instant offense. Performed better than Ammo did in this role, averaging 15.1 points and shooting a much better percentage from the field. Wasn't a good defender.

2003 - Carmelo Anthony - enough said

2002 - Mike Dunleavy - 5 points and nothing else. First real "bust" we've seen at the 3rd slot.

2001 - Pau Gasol - almost 18 points and 9 rebounds, also 2.7 assists a game. Shot 52 percent from the field. Dominant rookie.

2000 - Darius Miles - Drafted as long term project. Contributed with 9.4 points, 6 rebounds, 1.5 blocks, shooting over 50 percent from the field. Even started 21 games.

1999 - Baron Davis - Didn't play much as rookie. 6 points and 4 assists

1998 - Raef LaFrentz - 14 points and 7.6 rebounds.

1997 - Chauncey Billups - 11 points and almost 4 assists as a rookie

1996 - Shareef Abdur-Rahim - 17 points and 7 rebounds

1995 - Jerry Stackhouse - 19 points, 3.7 rebounds, 4 assists

1994 - Grant Hill

1993 - Penny Hardaway

1992 - Christian Laettner - 18 points and 9 rebounds as rookie.

1991 - Billy Owens - 14 points and 8 rebounds as rookie

As you can see, the 3rd overall pick in the NBA draft has yielded a LOT of quality over the years. The only 3rd pick the last 16 years that was arguably worse as rookie was Baron Davis and Mike Dunleavy. I don't think Ammo's skin color has anything to do with the whiplashing he has taken in the media. He was billed as a "nba ready scoring talent" and did not deliver.

That's just a list of the guys that will be able to attend the "mini camp". There are 32 guys on the list but obviously that will be trimmed down for the games. If guys don't bail out, it's going to be pretty difficult for Ammo to make the final cut.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    That's just a list of the guys that will be able to attend the "mini camp". There are 32 guys on the list but obviously that will be trimmed down for the games. If guys don't bail out, it's going to be pretty difficult for Ammo to make the final cut.
    It is probably good for him to sit out this year hopefully without jeopardizing his three year commitment.