• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DZ
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2007

Beat BYU

The WCC looks ok with LMU beating Valpo - would have been better if SMC had an entire team to throw at Murray State but. . .

Right now the hottest team in the WCC is BYU. If SMC losses another game (probably 50/50 proposition right now) then the BYU game will decide who is co-champion. Regardless of SMC, if we want to finish ahead of BYU in the final standings we have to beat them. Finally, we looked like a very hot team after beating SMC and LMU, that is now. . . gone. If we want a seed that is above 7 or better, we have to beat BYU.

The BYU game might be the biggest home conference game in a long time. It is our last conference home game, we simply have to get it done. The difference between us and them right now is that USF hit their last second shot against us, they missed the last two they had against BYU.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.
  • Oregonzagnut
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2011

If we don't value the ball, each possession, each game or the last 11 years, we do not deserve to win. Luckily we do value those things but not with any urgency or thought to change the game plan to act like we care about each possession. We care more about running specific plays with specific players than we do about emotion and hustle and throwing the playbook away and just going with what is working RIGHT NOW. How many times is Few going to micromanage the game and never end up getting into a zone.

How many times did everyone stand around while our PG got trapped? OVer and over, like it wasn't part of the game plan so they didn't adjust. To heck with the game plan sometimes! Do what needs to be done, not what worked before or what we planned on doing. Our staff is too rigid in some areas and too lazy in others.

PERFECTION!!!! How herd is dat to figur owt?
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Comment

• DZ
      Zag for Life
      • Sep 2007

BYU was in the same position against USF as we were, actually BYU gave USF two shots to win. Tonight, the shot went in.

That tells me there isn't that much separation between BYU and us - so the game in the Kennel, which WILL decide whether we are a top 2 seed or not and may decide who wins the conference will be HUGE. It will be HUGE b/c it will definitely determine who finishes higher, GU or BYU in their first WCC season.

I am glad to have Few as the one setting up the game plan for them, b/c I expect a WIN.
      Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
      Mark Twain.

Comment

• bartruff1
        Zag for Life
        • Jan 2010

Gonzaga is still very much in this..

It is very very difficult to win on the road, I think USF is 11-3 at home for example. I will be very surprised if BYU can beat Gonzaga at the Kennel... very surprised. St Mary's is beat up and has to go to SF...BYU has to play in the Kennel...I like our chances. The fun will really start in Las Vegas...
        Last edited by bartruff1; 02-19-2012, 03:56 AM.

Comment

• Zag79
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Must. Beat. BYU.

Comment

• Knotsolucky
            Kennel Club Material
            • Nov 2008

If we can't beat BYU at home with the same support we had for SMC we're in deep doo-doo!

We WILL win this game...

Comment

• NEC26
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

We must take care of the ball against BYU. They beat us the exact same way USF did pressuring our guards and turning us over. We will be at home so hopefully our guards will not be rattled so much and we might even get a few foul calls on the constant bumping, grinding, and slapping.

Comment

• Oregonzagnut
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post
                It is very very difficult to win on the road, I think USF is 11-3 at home for example. I will be very surprised if BYU can beat Gonzaga at the Kennel... very surprised. St Mary's is beat up and has to go to SF...BYU has to play in the Kennel...I like our chances. The fun will really start in Las Vegas...
                Gonzaga is still in it. But so is St Marys, BYU, and LMU. USF is mathematically eliminated with only one game left.
                “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Comment

• GoZags
                  Super Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Beat BYU. Bigtime game. Glad it's at home.
                  sigpic
                  “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                  ——-
                  List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                  Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• Goshzagit
                    Zag for Life
                    • Dec 2007

Hopefully, the guys can stay dialed in. It's up to our leaders to keep this teams' psyche strong & focused.

Have a feeling BYU is going to press us, along w/ every team we face from here on out, including IF we make the NCAA's.

BYU can still win the WCC, so can Gonzaga.

Who wants it more?

It all starts w/teaching our guards how to break a press. Pangos dribbling directly into traps & Stockton dribbling as fast & low as possible ain't gettin 'er done. Gary Bell needs to stay back more & utilize his strength more as USF respected his dribble. Also, while Carter is TO prone in half-court, he generally makes the right play in press situations, see last year vs USF in WCC & St Johns in NCAA. He should have got more run last night as well.

The blue-print is out. Mark Few needs to step up his in-game strategy & adjustments as well, he looked more lost than the players last night. They didn't know what to do b/c he didn't know what to do and/or he didn't have the right players at the right times.

Tweet away Rex, you pwned us.

On to BYU, who also has pwned us everytime we face them.

Will history repeat itself?

We're still in great position to do great things if we can win next Thurs.

Comment

• Vanzagger
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

agree

Originally posted by Oregonzagnut View Post
                      If we don't value the ball, each possession, each game or the last 11 years, we do not deserve to win. Luckily we do value those things but not with any urgency or thought to change the game plan to act like we care about each possession. We care more about running specific plays with specific players than we do about emotion and hustle and throwing the playbook away and just going with what is working RIGHT NOW. How many times is Few going to micromanage the game and never end up getting into a zone.

How many times did everyone stand around while our PG got trapped? OVer and over, like it wasn't part of the game plan so they didn't adjust. To heck with the game plan sometimes! Do what needs to be done, not what worked before or what we planned on doing. Our staff is too rigid in some areas and too lazy in others.

PERFECTION!!!! How herd is dat to figur owt?
                      got to be light on your feet. Just like a winning poker player is. Stuck in one gear....go home early.
                      Think Big. No think Bigger than that!

Comment

• Zags11
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2008

I firmly believe Zags beat byu at home by around 10.

Comment

• tarzanello
                          Redshirt
                          • May 2011

Hartsock twisted his knee very awkwardly the other night, and that may affect his availability for Thursday. He is the heart and soul of the team, so if he's out it's really going to hurt us. Also, Carlino hurt his knee in the USF game. BYU is pretty banged up right now and we've suffered several crucial injuries. I hope all of our guys are healthy for the big game...it's going to be huge.

Comment

• Bing
                            Kennel Club Material
                            • Feb 2007

I'll take a tainted win.
                            gobroncsgozags: "Have a great day in the podunk, crap hole known as Roslyn."

Comment

• MDABE80
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

We need to beat BYU and USF needs to beat SMC. BOTH can happen.

ESPN and most media have portrayed the loss to USF as a fluke...circus shots...bad refs. etc. I agree. I hope FEW rethinks his on ball offense and how to bring the ball up court witht he best players and with a some help so David or whoever doesn't get stuck with no help.

Fluke and circus shots...yes! But it counted. Let's move on... I'd rather play in the WCC tourney than 3 or 4 games. To get a no 2 seed, we need to beat BYU...period.

Comment

Working...
                              X