Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beat BYU

Default Beat BYU

The WCC looks ok with LMU beating Valpo - would have been better if SMC had an entire team to throw at Murray State but. . .

Right now the hottest team in the WCC is BYU. If SMC losses another game (probably 50/50 proposition right now) then the BYU game will decide who is co-champion. Regardless of SMC, if we want to finish ahead of BYU in the final standings we have to beat them. Finally, we looked like a very hot team after beating SMC and LMU, that is now. . . gone. If we want a seed that is above 7 or better, we have to beat BYU.

The BYU game might be the biggest home conference game in a long time. It is our last conference home game, we simply have to get it done. The difference between us and them right now is that USF hit their last second shot against us, they missed the last two they had against BYU.

If we don't value the ball, each possession, each game or the last 11 years, we do not deserve to win. Luckily we do value those things but not with any urgency or thought to change the game plan to act like we care about each possession. We care more about running specific plays with specific players than we do about emotion and hustle and throwing the playbook away and just going with what is working RIGHT NOW. How many times is Few going to micromanage the game and never end up getting into a zone.

How many times did everyone stand around while our PG got trapped? OVer and over, like it wasn't part of the game plan so they didn't adjust. To heck with the game plan sometimes! Do what needs to be done, not what worked before or what we planned on doing. Our staff is too rigid in some areas and too lazy in others.

PERFECTION!!!! How herd is dat to figur owt?
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

BYU was in the same position against USF as we were, actually BYU gave USF two shots to win. Tonight, the shot went in.

That tells me there isn't that much separation between BYU and us - so the game in the Kennel, which WILL decide whether we are a top 2 seed or not and may decide who wins the conference will be HUGE. It will be HUGE b/c it will definitely determine who finishes higher, GU or BYU in their first WCC season.

I am glad to have Few as the one setting up the game plan for them, b/c I expect a WIN.

Default Gonzaga is still very much in this..

It is very very difficult to win on the road, I think USF is 11-3 at home for example. I will be very surprised if BYU can beat Gonzaga at the Kennel... very surprised. St Mary's is beat up and has to go to SF...BYU has to play in the Kennel...I like our chances. The fun will really start in Las Vegas...
    Last edited by bartruff1; 02-19-2012 at 03:56 AM.

Must. Beat. BYU.

If we can't beat BYU at home with the same support we had for SMC we're in deep doo-doo!

We WILL win this game...

We must take care of the ball against BYU. They beat us the exact same way USF did pressuring our guards and turning us over. We will be at home so hopefully our guards will not be rattled so much and we might even get a few foul calls on the constant bumping, grinding, and slapping.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    It is very very difficult to win on the road, I think USF is 11-3 at home for example. I will be very surprised if BYU can beat Gonzaga at the Kennel... very surprised. St Mary's is beat up and has to go to SF...BYU has to play in the Kennel...I like our chances. The fun will really start in Las Vegas...
    Gonzaga is still in it. But so is St Marys, BYU, and LMU. USF is mathematically eliminated with only one game left.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Beat BYU. Bigtime game. Glad it's at home.

Hopefully, the guys can stay dialed in. It's up to our leaders to keep this teams' psyche strong & focused.

Have a feeling BYU is going to press us, along w/ every team we face from here on out, including IF we make the NCAA's.

BYU can still win the WCC, so can Gonzaga.

Who wants it more?

It all starts w/teaching our guards how to break a press. Pangos dribbling directly into traps & Stockton dribbling as fast & low as possible ain't gettin 'er done. Gary Bell needs to stay back more & utilize his strength more as USF respected his dribble. Also, while Carter is TO prone in half-court, he generally makes the right play in press situations, see last year vs USF in WCC & St Johns in NCAA. He should have got more run last night as well.

The blue-print is out. Mark Few needs to step up his in-game strategy & adjustments as well, he looked more lost than the players last night. They didn't know what to do b/c he didn't know what to do and/or he didn't have the right players at the right times.

Tweet away Rex, you pwned us.

On to BYU, who also has pwned us everytime we face them.

Will history repeat itself?

We're still in great position to do great things if we can win next Thurs.

Default agree

Quote Originally Posted by Oregonzagnut View Post
    If we don't value the ball, each possession, each game or the last 11 years, we do not deserve to win. Luckily we do value those things but not with any urgency or thought to change the game plan to act like we care about each possession. We care more about running specific plays with specific players than we do about emotion and hustle and throwing the playbook away and just going with what is working RIGHT NOW. How many times is Few going to micromanage the game and never end up getting into a zone.

How many times did everyone stand around while our PG got trapped? OVer and over, like it wasn't part of the game plan so they didn't adjust. To heck with the game plan sometimes! Do what needs to be done, not what worked before or what we planned on doing. Our staff is too rigid in some areas and too lazy in others.

PERFECTION!!!! How herd is dat to figur owt?
    got to be light on your feet. Just like a winning poker player is. Stuck in one gear....go home early.

I firmly believe Zags beat byu at home by around 10.
    Love the zags for life

Hartsock twisted his knee very awkwardly the other night, and that may affect his availability for Thursday. He is the heart and soul of the team, so if he's out it's really going to hurt us. Also, Carlino hurt his knee in the USF game. BYU is pretty banged up right now and we've suffered several crucial injuries. I hope all of our guys are healthy for the big game...it's going to be huge.

I'll take a tainted win.

We need to beat BYU and USF needs to beat SMC. BOTH can happen.

ESPN and most media have portrayed the loss to USF as a fluke...circus shots...bad refs. etc. I agree. I hope FEW rethinks his on ball offense and how to bring the ball up court witht he best players and with a some help so David or whoever doesn't get stuck with no help.

Fluke and circus shots...yes! But it counted. Let's move on... I'd rather play in the WCC tourney than 3 or 4 games. To get a no 2 seed, we need to beat BYU...period.

Beat BYU!!! There's no reason we can't. We are playing in the Kennel. Yes BYU has a great tradition at home as well, and they beat us by 20 there. Let's show them what it's like for a visiting team to come into the Kennel to play. When the Zags played St. Mary's, I heard the Kennel was the loudest since that famous game against the U Dub. Well. Let's make this Thursday's game THE loudest Kennel crowd of ALL TIME. Wow!!! I can hardly wait until Thursday.
    Last edited by Reborn; 02-20-2012 at 03:00 PM.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

BYU fan here...... GU will take it to the Coogs on Thursday. i think you'll turn the tables on the press. We didnt' handle the press against USF nor even against Santa Clara. both took us out of our offensive rhythm. Yeah, we got a lot of points int he paint, but, they were severely undersized and you would assume we'd eventually take control in the paint. GU's big men are better and won't let us pack it in. Carlino is probably about 85-90%...that will hurt us. Also, it seems the more he's pressured, the harder he tries to beat the press himself. He gets picked a lot that way or is completely out of control and forces bad passes after breaking the press.

Not sure about Hartsock. He came back in and looked as if nothing happened. But, you the swelling probably hadn't set in yet. By today, he could be very sore and lose 10-20% of his mobility.

I expect a physical game and think the refs will let it go that way. That will work against the visiting team, no matter who it is.

Haven't been impressed with WCC refs the past few games. Even the GU/USF game...something like 10-12 charges called. One of your announces said he felt that the refs must just like to punch out the charge call so they call it that way too often. I definitely saw that a lot in our past two games.

Hate to say it but, having beat GU twice in a row...our numbers up.

And, maybe it is academic. Maybe the big GU/BYU showdown will be in Vegas as we'll likely be seeded 2-3 in either case.

Go Zags!
    Beat the Cougs!
    youtube - "The Runner"

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

I honestly believe that the Kennel will have more energy than it ever has. We have had lots of games against rivals, games that decide the championship - but - we have never had a conference game of this magnitude against a conference newcomer, especially one that is so much bigger than GU and has beaten us by double digits the last two times we have played them.

Thursday night is going to be very special.

Default Just...

Win, baby. Just win.

Default Defense & rebounding....

defense and rebounding.....defense and rebounding. No team ever shoots their best when agressively defended the entire game AND teams defended well and outrebounded while playing away RARELY win.

Beating BYU is much more than a W. It is complete mindset change for a team that is 0-2 against them. There can be no better advantage going into the conference tourney than to dominate in these two areas this week. The doubt needs to shift into their practices and away from ours.

Prediction: we play agressive defense the entire match (not the 6- feet away from the defender business against USF) and commond the glass...a W and momentum are ours.
    montanazag88
    P....A....TIENCE!

Student ticket distribution tonight and 24 hours of camping (Wednesday night through Thursday afternoon). It will sell out no question. Hopefully students realize how big this one is.

Default I was taught when I was a Freshman to say,

"Sir, there is nothing lower than a cougar." I still believe it to this very day.

Sili

Beat BYU

Ad maiorem Dei gloriam.

Beat BYU.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor