Thread: Pargo love from SI, Seth Davis

Default Pargo love from SI, Seth Davis

There has been talk of Pargo possibly making an early jump to the NBA and he is getting a considerable amount of respect from the national media, but I doubt it happens. He is very similar, in my mind, to UConn super PG Khalid El-Amin. Super strong, great will to win, clutch player, but PG's don't make the early jump to the NBA nearly as well as big men or even wings. I hope he sticks around for two more years, he is a great Zag.

Russell

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...hts/index.html

Two other guys who looked good during the counselor workouts was Gonzaga guard Jeremy Pargo and Ohio State forward Othello Hunter. It was also interesting to see Hasheem Thabeet, UConn's 7-3 sophomore center, playing with confidence. Lots of people were disappointed in Thabeet's play last season, but you have to remember this will be just his fifth year of organized basketball. Thabeet has a long way to go before he's an impact scorer, but his moves were more polished than I expected.

Default seth is a nitwit

seth davis is the nitwit who proclaimed raivio as the 2nd best pg in the country, as i recall...based on one preseason workout

Excuse me, but did I hear you call for a photo?

Gonzaga's Jermey Pargo slips past Washington's Phil Nelson (44)
    and Justin Dentmon in the first half, GU v. Washington.
    (Dan Pelle/The Spokesman-Review)

Spokesman Photo Album

Edited to add: Heh, heh, heh. Derek's gone, but Jazz is still P*ssed off at him. Heh, heh, heh.

Default Re:

There are good financial reasons for skipping out on next year's draft if you are a PG or combo guard.....it will be a draft that is rich at this position. Hence, the reason why Rodney Stuckey bolted this year. Moreover, the 2008 class of high schoolers just isn't a very strong class overall....the 2008 draft should be easier for guards.

It'll depend on how the season goes for Jeremy and how much he develops, but unless he blows up through the roof in ways none of us can imagine, I hope that he plays all 4 years at Gonzaga. He's the kind of guy whose stock will increase if he sticks around because he has more ceiling left. He needs more consistency with his jumper. He needs to keep bettering his assist to turnover ratio, and he also needs to develop into a consistently tenacious on ball defender. I also feel he is the one guy that the Zags cannot afford to lose if GU has final 4 aspirations in 2008/09. Gonzaga is in a much better position to absorb the loss of Heytvelt, for instance, although one hopes he plays all 4 years too.

BTW....Seth Davis is not the only person who has acknowledged Pargo's accomplishments at that camp....draftexpress.com said he was flat out the best guard that participated in the workouts. I also know of another analyst that was deeply impressed.
    Last edited by CDC84; 07-12-2007 at 09:21 PM.

Talking Pargo is no Khalid El-Amin

I don't know why I am so fiesty right now.....I could have been those Moose Drool's I just had

Either way, I couldn't let this comparision stand. Khalid was a good college point guard, but he didn't have nearly the physicality that Pargo has.

I spent some time trying to thing of college PG's over the last 5-10 yrs that are similar to Pargo. The fact of the matter is that there just aren't a lot of guys with his combination of size, speed, strength/power, leaping ability.

If Pargo's shot is coming along as reported from the LeBron James skills camp, then I see much more of UCLA's Baron Davis in Pargo than Khalid.

I'm going to stop now....I hope.

Default Re:

Pargo has a bit of Tim Hardaway in him, who is also a Chicago native. I'm not saying he is that good, but go back to the Baylor game and watch Pargo's crossover move in the 2nd half that led to a missed layup but a trip to the charity stripe. That move was vintage Hardaway...low to the ground, and totally legal. I still feel Pargo has got one of the best crossovers I've seen in college ball in quite some time. That is, when he does it correctly. Sometimes he gets lazy and carries it. Hardaway was (and probably still is) the master of all masters when it came to consistently using the legal crossover.

Pargo really should be playing saftey for Ohio State or Notre Dame. No I take that back, as he should be in the NFL by now. Lucky for the Zags he chose basketball as his calling.

I know he is tough enough to tackle people. I wonder how good he would be toting the ball. The greatest backs are all known to have one common attribute.....great vision. Does that hold true for the greatest point guards as well?

I love his strength and explosivenenss. My only knock last year was that I would like to see him consistently finish plays just a little better....just a little more under control. From the rave reviews coming from Akron, it appears he may have made that adjustment.
    I miss Mike Hart

Default Agreed

El Amin could not get to the rack like Pargo can. Nor dunk like Pargo can, or even anything close to it.

And no fan base would ever be able to chant "Gary Coleman" to Pargo without embarassing themselves.

That said, El Amin was a great competitor and leader who was always productive. At least until he met Quentin Hall in Phoenix and laid an egg.

He is very similar, in my mind, to UConn super PG Khalid El-Amin.
    sorry russell but i gotta call your bluff on this one. pgo is better all the way around. tougher, stronger, better at taking it to the hole, better defender, on and on.

seth davis is the nitwit who proclaimed raivio as the 2nd best pg in the country, as i recall...based on one preseason workout
    ahhh. return of jazz with a rip at one of Gonzagas top5 gaurds ever, statistically. normalcy.

Default Great Pargo Photo

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Excuse me, but did I hear you call for a photo?

Gonzaga's Jermey Pargo slips past Washington's Phil Nelson (44)
    and Justin Dentmon in the first half, GU v. Washington.
    (Dan Pelle/The Spokesman-Review)

Spokesman Photo Album

Edited to add: Heh, heh, heh. Derek's gone, but Jazz is still P*ssed off at him. Heh, heh, heh.
    That's a man amongst boys-err-chickens.

I agree with comments that the comparison to Khalid El-Amin leaves much to be desired. In the great 8 matchup with UCONN, El-Amin was benched for most of the game because Q was so much quicker and kept blowing past him. In my opinion, Pargo's physical skills are definitely superior to those of El-Amin!

Default No way is he like the Fat boy from UConn

I say a poor man's Jamier Nelson.

Pargo has a wayz to go to get his outside shot down, but has the bulk, 1st step, and toughness that the St. Joe's star had.

Q-Hall put the lock down on uconn's fat boy during the Elite 8 game. I don't see anyone able to deny and lockout Pargo.
    Last edited by GSL-KID; 07-13-2007 at 12:10 PM.

CDC: I like the Hardaway comparison but Pargo needs much work on his jumper to be in the Hardaway mold. As for leaving early, he'll need to show that he can consistently hit the open jumper because in the league they'll just consistently use his defender to double if he can't.
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

to be a great point guard he need to learn to pass off the drive especially when he's well guarded.

Default Pargo Comparison

The comparison's with Jameer Nelson and Tim Hardaway are fine, and I'm sure Pargo would be honored by them, but these two are too small....

Hardaway was only 6'0"; 195lbs
    Jameer is only 6'0", 190lbs

Pargo is 6'2"; 220lbs!!!!

I stick by my comparison to UCLA's Baron Davis--6'3"; 215lbs.

Sorry..he looks like a football player to me.

I'm going to compare him to a former Sooner and Detroit Lion......... Billy Simms.
    I mean take a look at the 360 spin on that last carry.

And if you ever see other footage of Simms attacking the line of scrimmage, you will know exactly where I am coming from.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by bigparb View Post
    The comparison's with Jameer Nelson and Tim Hardaway are fine, and I'm sure Pargo would be honored by them, but these two are too small....

Hardaway was only 6'0"; 195lbs
    Jameer is only 6'0", 190lbs

Pargo is 6'2"; 220lbs!!!!

I stick by my comparison to UCLA's Baron Davis--6'3"; 215lbs.

I love the comparison w Baron Davis....in addition to their physical similarities Pargo has definitely show glimpses of Baronesque skill, style and swagger. "All" that's missing is for Jeremy to consistently drain 3's from all over the court like Davis then treat us to a sweet baseline dunk over an opponent a la BDavis' dunk over Utah's AK-47 in this year's NBA playoffs. The opponent whom I'd most like to see Pargo dunk upon is Omar Samhan from St. Mary's? (You know, the big annoying freshmen)

Default Hardaway and Pargo

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Pargo has a bit of Tim Hardaway in him, who is also a Chicago native. I'm not saying he is that good, but go back to the Baylor game and watch Pargo's crossover move in the 2nd half that led to a missed layup but a trip to the charity stripe. That move was vintage Hardaway...low to the ground, and totally legal. I still feel Pargo has got one of the best crossovers I've seen in college ball in quite some time. That is, when he does it correctly. Sometimes he gets lazy and carries it. Hardaway was (and probably still is) the master of all masters when it came to consistently using the legal crossover.
    Pargo's about a year ahead of Tim, development wise.

I was a UTEP season ticket holder during the 80's, so I saw each and every home game during Tim's formative years. By the time he was a senior, Haskins put the ball in Tim's hands about 80%.

If Jeremy continues to progress like he did last year, he'll definitely be in the NBA for the 08-09 season. He's already got an "NBA body".

I wanna hear stuff like this
    I miss Mike Hart