Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs Butler game predictions thread

Default Gonzaga vs Butler game predictions thread

Gonzaga U 72
    Butler 59

Another great game between two great basketball programs. Gonzaga is playing all the teams I love, and that makes it a great out of conference season for me. IMO these will be the two premier Mid-Major programs duking it out tomorrow night. The Zags have more star power, imo, and Butler is the number one team in America for guts imo. It will be fun to watch.

Neither of these teams need band or cheerleaders to win. These are two great teams who love to play basketball, and they'd play over in John Stockton's warehouse without any fans if they had to. These are two coaches who have a lot of respect and are friends. These make for very interesting kinds of games.

Purdue is not as good as GU everyone. They do not have the inside players that GU has. Hummel is a great power forward, but he is not an inside player like Harris is.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

74-68 Zags
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Bulldogs - 71
    Bulldogs - 64

[we win]

This is a tough one to predict, imo.

Both teams/programs are coming off big, emotional, season-changing wins.

How do they respond after giving up so much effort w/in 2 days of another big time game?

Butler is the anti-thesis of Gonzaga. They prefer to muck up the game and win with half-court, shot-clock burning offense and tough, high pressure, extended defense.

Gonzaga likes to run in transition and run smooth/fast sets on offense. Traditionally, the Zags have not responded well to teams who like to "ugly" up the game i.e. Dick Bennett's WSU, Butler in past years, etc.

Whether we win or lose, I expect an extremely frustrating game to watch and a low-scoring affair. This could work in GU's favor or not -- most like not if the past is any indication performance.

Didn't Butler beat us handily following our UNC win a few years back? We scored in the 80's vs UNC and much lower vs Butler.

However, while this GU team isn't as smooth and talented by position, they are smarter and defend much better. This could help us this time around.

I think our post game will be key once again. We must get Sacre more touches in the right moment. I cringed at how many times our guards missed a wide-open Sacre off a pick 'n roll or in general. We did a much better job finding Dower and Elias in key moments, yet Butler doesn't have any players to really grit it out vs Rob. Considering the game will most assuredly be in the 60's or less, our guards cannot afford to miss open 3pt shots. Butler does a nice job of rebounding misses(so fundamentally sound) and defending shooters.

If Elias maintains his intensity on defense and on the boards, Sacre stay out of foul trouble and keep plugging away, and our guards hit their open, albeit limited opportunities, we should win by double-digits. That said, I have a feeling we come out a bit sluggish following 'Zona game, and take a while to warm-up sans Kennel Club, thus...

Northwest Bulldogs 64
    Mid-west Bulldogs 59

They're going to lock us up on the perimeter, so this will not be a high scoring affair. They commit a TON of fouls. This game must be won at the stripe.

GU - 65
    Butler - 57
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

I think we have a lot more talent than Purdue - we win by 10

Gu 62...Butler ....57.....some guard(s) making 5 or 6 outside shots and free throws the difference...Butler will try to keep the game in the 50s to have a chance to win....lots of turnovers ...lot of fouls...few assists...Butler one of the few teams that can win shooting less than 40%...Brad is the data miner, he will know all the odds.... all the tendencies....it will be a nail biter and it won't be over till it is over and you will be happy it is over...no lead will be safe..but Gonzaga has Pangos and he will keep his poise...

Default We have to win

GU's reputation for winning at home is on the line.

GU 67
    BU 59

Default We beat 'em.

Respect for Butler -- 59
    Love for Gonzaga -- 71

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by DCZag View Post
    I think we have a lot more talent than Purdue - we win by 10
    Nice take.

I think the over/under is 8 and I'll take the over.

Zags pull one out on the free throw line. But I expected Butler to bring all they have.
    Gonzaga Basketball
    Exhibiting Character Since 1907

Avenge MSG

GU 71
    Butler 64

Bulldogs win!!

GU of course. 71-66.

We'll pound it inside early and often softening them up for some second half three's. Young guards will shoot much better at home where they are comfortable and we win this one going away.

70 Zags
    55 Butler

Gonzaga ~ 77

Butler ~ 60

Butler is 0-3 on the road so far this season.

if gu hits free throws, zags win. otherwise butler escapes with a victory

68-62 Zags.

zags win by 3 pts or less

Default Close Game

I think we'll pull away late and win by twelve...

Gonzaga - 74

Butler - 62

Default I hope

we two-platoon them for 40 minutes and run em like rented mules.

I believe we should win by 8-10 but I have a lot of respect for Butler and believe they will come into the K2 with their own goals and plans to ruin what I believe. We'll soon see.
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Gonzaga 74-Butler 69 . Close the entire game.
    [/QUOTE]“Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team.”
    ― Scottie Pippen

Default As our Leader and the Commander of

Rebel Fleet says, this game, "It's a Trap!"

They gotta be better than their record, I gotta think Butler has some talent, I know they got a good coach. Danger.

Quote Originally Posted by kdoggy View Post
    Rebel Fleet says, this game, "It's a Trap!"

They gotta be better than their record, I gotta think Butler has some talent, I know they got a good coach. Danger.
    Good post! It's all so true. Yet, Gonzaga has even better players,imo. And we are at home. It's going to be fun to see two quality teams fight it out tonight. Zags need to prepare for the crutch time, which seems to be Butler's best time of the game. I think we are ready.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Zags need to prepare for the crutch time, which seems to be Butler's best time of the game. I think we are ready.
    I guess it's better to prepare for crutch time than wheelchair time.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
    I guess it's better to prepare for crutch time than wheelchair time.
    It's easier to swing a crutch than a wheelchair.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Zags 68
    Butler 65
    Go Zags!!!