Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would this have happened in the mid-2000s?

Default Would this have happened in the mid-2000s?

“This week was very hard, but what did we go, 2-1, I’ll take it" -Gary Bell Jr.

Can't be great if you'll "take" 2-1 when you're favored in basically 3 home games, including one against Oral Roberts. Sure this might be a poor quote from a freshman, but it seems to me like Few was so adamant that this week was tough on his players that the youngsters bought in. Can't expect to be mediocre and take the strides this program still hopes to take. Good win today, and with a young team we'll continue to get better.. But the mentality has to change a bit too.

Sheesh .... I disagree with your take on this. Honest-to-god ....

Well what are we trying to be? If we're trying to have fun and win some games and keep making the NCAA tournament every year, then let's take 2-1 in finals week against 3 teams that could make the tourney (although Arizona and Oral Roberts will probably need to win their conference tourneys).

I prefer to think our expectations are higher than that. Maybe they aren't. Maybe we'll settle for a young team that gets knocked out in the second round.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post

Can't be great if you'll "take" 2-1 when you're favored in basically 3 home games, including one against Oral Roberts. Sure this might be a poor quote from a freshman, but it seems to me like Few was so adamant that this week was tough on his players that the youngsters bought in. Can't expect to be mediocre and take the strides this program still hopes to take. Good win today, and with a young team we'll continue to get better.. But the mentality has to change a bit too.
    Are you serious? Yeah Ill TAKE it also!! This is a freshmen and you are reading into it way to much. Lighten up dude
    "I'm really excited. I'm excited to wear GONZAGA on my chest.
    -Kevin Pangos-

"You play to win the game, HELLO!?!- I dont care if you have any wins! You play to win the game "-Herm Edwards
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=IMk5sMHj58I

Did you expect Few to tell them that the week would be easy?
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Sheesh .... I disagree with your take on this. Honest-to-god ....
    + 1
    What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

I think I'd take it too. Remember our two newest guards have 9 games under thier belts...not much...now throw in their first finals and all the cramming with lost sleep...well...I kinda think it's been borderline spectacular.

I love our new guards they are playing well as freshmen. I am just disppointed in where Carters season has gone.. I really thought he turned the corner at the end of last season but no matter what ill root for that kid all day every day!! I hope he snaps out of this funk that he is in.
    "I'm really excited. I'm excited to wear GONZAGA on my chest.
    -Kevin Pangos-

"You play to win the game, HELLO!?!- I dont care if you have any wins! You play to win the game "-Herm Edwards
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=IMk5sMHj58I

"Would this have happened in the mid 2000's?"

You mean some joker nitpicking a quote trying to stir the p*t on this board?

Probably yes.

ZZ

Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post

Probably yes.

ZZ
    Why did you put an asterisk in ###?

OP, would you prefer he say, man i'm disgusted in our performance this week...we better p*ck it up next week.

Edit: Uhhh, apparently p0t is an obscentiy. Am i missing something?
    Last edited by awberke; 12-17-2011 at 09:40 PM. Reason: What...

2 wins, one loss
    yes I'll gladly take it
    after losing two big games in a row, and everybody wondering (after last year) will be able to provide damage control?

Yes we let them back into the game
    but that happens to good teams

what happened when they were down by six, is that our level of play
    remained intense
    god, esp. that pass into the paint by Stocks with less than 2 min to play
    wow

Sure, as a fan I was expecting 2-1. But this is a starting guard saying he'll take 2-1 this week. That's a "lose in the 2nd round" attitude.

Of course, I wouldn't expect much differently from you guys, my mistake there. But our starting SG shouldn't be content with 2-1 (when we were favored in all 3, not like we were playing UNC and Syracuse). Until our own players strive for better, it's hard to claim to be advancing as a program.

Sure, as a fan I was expecting 2-1. But this is a starting guard saying he'll take 2-1 this week. That's a "lose in the 2nd round" attitude.

Of course, I wouldn't expect much differently from you guys, my mistake there. But our starting SG shouldn't be content with 2-1 (when we were favored in all 3, not like we were playing UNC and Syracuse). Until our own players strive for better, it's hard to claim to be advancing as a program.
    In last year's district and state tourneys, Gary carried a mediocre team through a series of about 6 loser out games till they ran into a basically unbeatable Gonzaga Prep team. He elevated his game through the entire stretch to an incredible level. To question GB's will to win is kind of silly imo.

Some kids cry and pout and throw tantrums just to get attention...the good news is that most grow up..

Quote Originally Posted by awberke View Post

Welcome to Eastern Washington.....Carry On.

Why did you put an asterisk in ###?

OP, would you prefer he say, man i'm disgusted in our performance this week...we better p*ck it up next week.

I remember it starting after the Josh incident - not sure if it's related but I remember "the word that won't be spelled" couldn't spell out after he was arrested.

That's a "lose in the 2nd round" attitude.
    Can't wait to get to March? Why watch any games until then? The TEAM that takes the floor may not be as good as the one you dream up in your head but I think I'll keep watching and cheering for the TEAM on the floor. Come March let us know how the one in your head did.

Good enough folks not great it's not a hard concept and it's a reality whether some here choose to accept it or not.

Good game as the Wildcats never got closer than 6 the entire game after the lead was built.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

Default Context

Here's the quote and some context, not that much was needed. Pretty lame to seize on this statement after GU just notched a hell of a win.

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sport...-hold-arizona/

“This week was very hard, but what did we go, 2-1, I’ll take it,” said freshman guard Gary Bell Jr., who wrapped up his five finals Thursday. “We played three tournament teams.”
    The week had Gonzaga coach Mark Few worried.
    “I just told them that might be as tough a week as we’ve had in quite a while,” said Few, recalling a physical loss to Michigan State and a “grinder” victory over Oral Roberts with finals in between. “And then to have short prep and play a very good Arizona team, that’s a heck of a week.
    “I was worried about coming out with nothing in our tank. We tried to go light (at Friday’s practice). A lot of our teams coming out of finals are kind of zapped, but these guys did a nice job. And having that youth, sometimes they make mistakes but it kind of energizes everybody, too.”
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

I am not sure that magical thinking really works in basketball. I wish it was as easy as GBJ just believing that GU will win a championship and it will happen. If that's the thinking, then the New Jersey Institute of Technology could win this year as well if they just believed enough. Reality and being proud of a good week in basketball isn't such a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychozag View Post
    I am not sure that magical thinking really works in basketball. I wish it was as easy as GBJ just believing that GU will win a championship and it will happen. If that's the thinking, then the New Jersey Institute of Technology could win this year as well if they just believed enough. Reality and being proud of a good week in basketball isn't such a bad thing.
    good one. I agree, and no need for the magical thinking stuff anyway. Yesterday's game will help GBJ and this team believe more, it sure should, a true belief--self belief--earned through deeds. That's confidence,and a nice reality to be proud of.

Dumbest thread ever.

Bring back the OCC

Default Not missing anything, awberke. . .

There are certain words the message board software automatically censors; "p0t" is one of them. . .

If you type in George Carlin's "7 words" you'll see that the censorship settings make no sense whatsoever. . .'p0t' has been on the list since the Josh & Theo incident in 2007, shortly after this generation of the GUB was implemented.

Either the Spokesman or one of the board administrators has deemed it so.

You can say "tits."
    Last edited by RenoZag; 12-18-2011 at 05:34 PM.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post

Probably yes.

ZZ

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Do we really think GU players expect to go undefeated? I guess one persons positive thinking is another person's loser attitude.

Bell and Pangos in the preseason made it clear that they expect big things of themselves. I don't think their careers will show a "lose in the second round attitude." And neither has their play on the court thus far.

Few has said that Michigan St is a top ten team, for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by EuroZag2010 View Post
    Are you serious? Yeah Ill TAKE it also!! This is a freshmen and you are reading into it way to much. Lighten up dude
    +1