Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 125

Thread: Will Foster

  1. #76
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    north county San Diego
    Posts
    226

    Default Is it inconceivable?

    That Will may make it to the NBA?

    I don't think it is.

    Double doubles in with 6 blocks (and many alters) is impressive no matter the league.

    I can envision a role similar which Mark Eaton had with the Jazz.

    I'm sure 99% on the board think this is nuts, but I think with some improvement he can find a home in the bigs. He can change games with his presence.

  2. #77

    Default

    Will's starting tonight's game against Reno.

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4,079

    Default Antoine Walker!?!

    Will is playing with Antoine Walker. Kinda amazing and sad at the same time. Give Walker credit, he loves his sport more than his money apparently. At least he publicly admits stupid investments. His name alone will pull him out of poverty if he just invests in the normal stock market like everyone else and stops living the "high life".

    Gotta give credit to his friend Nazr too. He stuck by him and helped pull Walker out.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

  4. #79
    ID ZAGFAN Guest

    Default NBA D League--Will Foster

    NBA D league showcase

    As far as I could tell Will Foster on the Idaho Stampede is the only old dog in the d-league, but I might have missed some when I checked the list.

    Idaho Stampede On NBA TV:

    1/9: 10 AM PT
    1/11: 12:45 PM PT

    ZaGranny

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,315

    Default

    I was just about to post this I am watching right now
    "I'm really excited. I'm excited to wear GONZAGA on my chest.
    -Kevin Pangos-

    "You play to win the game, HELLO!?!- I dont care if you have any wins! You play to win the game "-Herm Edwards
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=IMk5sMHj58I

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,315

    Default

    He's playing right now ...
    "I'm really excited. I'm excited to wear GONZAGA on my chest.
    -Kevin Pangos-

    "You play to win the game, HELLO!?!- I dont care if you have any wins! You play to win the game "-Herm Edwards
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=IMk5sMHj58I

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane South Side
    Posts
    17,137

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,375

    Default

    Watched the game a few days ago, and he had 3 pts, couple of blocks etc. His guards, after Will not converting on a few tough passes were disinclined to give him the ball on the pick and roll. Several times, wide open, hands up and screaming, to no avail. The D league is mostly about guys trying to showcase their own skills, especially scoring, and his forte' is not creating his own shot, rebounding the missed threes etc. I wish him well, think that he could have received better coaching while a Zag, and, if he can stick it out and develop an attitude, could still make it to the show. He needs a streak of nasty and selfishness, some fire. Take part in the sideline huddles, get his teammates to look at him!

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    University Place, WA (aka Chambers Bay)
    Posts
    5,095

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Watched the game a few days ago, and he had 3 pts, couple of blocks etc. His guards, after Will not converting on a few tough passes were disinclined to give him the ball on the pick and roll. Several times, wide open, hands up and screaming, to no avail. The D league is mostly about guys trying to showcase their own skills, especially scoring, and his forte' is not creating his own shot, rebounding the missed threes etc. I wish him well, think that he could have received better coaching while a Zag, and, if he can stick it out and develop an attitude, could still make it to the show. He needs a streak of nasty and selfishness, some fire. Take part in the sideline huddles, get his teammates to look at him!
    You're kidding, right?

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    You're kidding, right?
    Sorry, but no! Brought it up many times in regular threads, but a 6' coach can tell a 7'5" player what to do, but can't really demonstrate. I saw what Krystowiak did with the Grizzly bigs in just 2 years. Until Daniels we didn't have anybody with any size on the staff. I think that, for whatever reasons, Will was not coached, or handled, very well during his time at Gonzaga. He has implied that a few times himself. Nothing particular against Few et al, just my personal thoughts. Why would you think any different?

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Sorry, but no! Brought it up many times in regular threads, but a 6' coach can tell a 7'5" player what to do, but can't really demonstrate. I saw what Krystowiak did with the Grizzly bigs in just 2 years. Until Daniels we didn't have anybody with any size on the staff. I think that, for whatever reasons, Will was not coached, or handled, very well during his time at Gonzaga. He has implied that a few times himself. Nothing particular against Few et al, just my personal thoughts. Why would you think any different?
    I'm going to have to disagree with you heartily on your assessment of GU's ability to coach big men. There were lots of big men that have done well at Gonzaga in the Few era. Eaton, Calvary, Turiaf, Batista, Violette, etc.... They were all big guys who thrived. And their primary coach was a little guy.

    By the way, how tall was Pete Newell, the undisputed best big man coach to ever live? 6'2"?

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    I'm going to have to disagree with you heartily on your assessment of GU's ability to coach big men. There were lots of big men that have done well at Gonzaga in the Few era. Eaton, Calvary, Turiaf, Batista, Violette, etc.... They were all big guys who thrived. And their primary coach was a little guy.

    By the way, how tall was Pete Newell, the undisputed best big man coach to ever live? 6'2"?
    We have hashed this before, and wasn't really wanting to do so again. But asking a question back. How many of those bigs made it to the NBA? Only Turiaf. How many would have with just a little better coaching? No way to know. I don't know how tall Newell was. When did he join the Zags staff?

    Nothing against the Zags staff. I think they have done a great job, excelling where others might not have. But Foster was brought in as a project. It was expected that he would Redshirt, but injuries etc. always stopped that. He was the emergency fall back plan that seldom got used. Who worked with him on developing his block outs for rebounding position? who developed his sky hook. Who worked on all the things that somehow didn't really improve over 4 years? Was he recruited so somebody else wouldn't get him?
    I think that the addition of a big man coach to the Zags staff would really improve their game. They are already good, but somebody that can demonstrate the ways that the body and hips can be used to gain position, without a foul being called might have let a few more of your list of bigs make it to the NBA, or maybe they were just as good as they ever would get. Your call!

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    How many of those bigs made it to the NBA?
    All due respect, but that is an absurd standard.

    There are 30 NBA teams, with at most 2 slots on each team for a true center (Will's position). That means there are 60 spots for centers in the NBA. Roughly 75% of the spots ARE NOT up for grabs in any given year. So maybe there are 15 NBA center jobs available in any given year.

    Those spots are competed for by all NCAA centers coming out of college plus all the super talented bigs from around the world like the Gasol brothers.

    Bottom line, you have to not only be tall, but a truly freakishly gifted individual to even have a sniff at a chance to make the NBA.

    Will Foster is really tall. He is a good athlete from what I can tell. BUT, he didn't win the lottery in the genetics department when it comes to natural talent. For instance, Sean Bradley would be a good comparison and he is easily 10 times more talented than Will.

    I liked Will and I though maybe he could have used more of a chance at GU, but the bottom line is that if he makes an NBA roster, I'll eat my hat.

    Pete Newell was 6' 2".


    BTW - How tall was John Wooden. He produced some of the best NBA big men ever at UCLA. How tall was Dale Brown who coached Shaq. How about Dick Harp, Wilt Chamberlain's coach at Kansas? How about Guy Lewis at Houston, Hakeem Olajuwon's coach? I hope you're getting my point. You don't have to be a big guy to successfully coach big guys.

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,375

    Default

    I understand your point. you don't HAVE to have a big man to coach bigs.
    But Krystowiak went to the Griz, in 2 years they went to the NCAA's. Tinkle took over and with virtually the same bigs, didn't. It seems clear to me that a big man WITH NBA EXPERIENCE can make a difference.
    I still don't believe that Foster was coached up to the best of his ability. And I agree that we will have to disagree. For you to call my position absurd, in a friendly (I hope) discussion is over the line!
    Thanks

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    For you to call my position absurd, in a friendly (I hope) discussion is over the line!
    We'll have to disagree on that Willandi.

    I think it is absurd to make your standard of a great big man coach whether or not that coach produces NBA big men. In fact, I don't think you even agree with your own standard. How many big men from Montana made the NBA after being coached by Krystowiak? And yet, you laud Krystowiak as a great coach for big men.

    It is extremely statistically unlikely that a coach will even have the opportunity to coach a big guy who has won the genetic lottery and has a chance at making the NBA.

  16. #91
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,375

    Default

    None of the bigs you mentioned, from Casey forward, excepting Will were centers. They were power forwards, even Ronny, though he plays center in the nba. So there were many more slots than just 60. So none of those Gonzaga greats were good enough to play in the NBA?
    Actually, I really don't want to lower to insults etc. My position was that I (as in ME personally) do not think that Will was coached up to his potential. I (as in ME personally) think that the Zags bigs could be better. If you wish to have a different opinion, that is your right. If Mark Few doesn't agree with me, he's the coach and it's his team. These are just MY (as in ME personally) beliefs. You won't be able to sway me, and I don't know why you feel it is imperitave enough that you have the need to demean my beliefs, other than that would make yours seem more right.
    Thanks!

  17. #92
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,717

    Default

    Willandi,

    Your logic in this circumstance is absurd. You, on the other hand, don't seem absurd at all. You seem to be a nice person.

    Have a good day.

  18. #93
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greater Tacoma
    Posts
    5,450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I think that, for whatever reasons, Will was not coached, or handled, very well during his time at Gonzaga. He has implied that a few times himself. Nothing particular against Few et al, just my personal thoughts. Why would you think any different?
    Explain to me what is so different about a guy that big making free throws???? As I recall it was a REALLY big thing when Will made one free throw. I thought it was a fun thing when he made that free throw and I was indeed very happy for him when he made it. Are you saying his lack of free throw success was because Zag coaches don"t know how to develop big guys? I think it indicates a more individual overall situation with Will.

    Seems to me Will was urged to take a redshirt year and take advantage of an extra year to develop. I think he really passed an opportunity.
    .
    .
    .
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    .
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    .
    I am monitoring the price of a donut
    .

  19. #94
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    South Hill of Spokane
    Posts
    2,750

    Default Can of worms

    Willandi, you basically opened up a can of worms here.

    Let me explain by way of an analogy:

    Wil Foster=Lurch=Frankenstein=Herman Munster.

    So, I do not think your criticism of the coaching staff is well taken. Young Wil was a project that did not work out. It was both humorous and insulting that when he left here he had a bad attitude towards Few. The guy got about 200k of free education and got to take some interesting road trips. He bombed out in Portugal. Now he is in the "D" League.

    Next stop: County Rec League.

  20. #95
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,535

    Default

    He was still 7'4" the fastest zag to run the mile a very good motor. and from what I saw in scrimmages good hands. He did not have a very competetive spirit but he did have an excellent dry sense of humor which coach Few did not appreciate. Hopefully he will get some good coaching now. The poorest job of player developement that I recall at Gonzaga.
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher


    .
    .

  21. #96
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zag buddy View Post
    He was still 7'4" the fastest zag to run the mile a very good motor. and from what I saw in scrimmages good hands. He did not have a very competetive spirit but he did have an excellent dry sense of humor which coach Few did not appreciate. Hopefully he will get some good coaching now. The poorest job of player developement that I recall at Gonzaga.
    Thank You. I AM NOT DENIGRATING THE ZAGS COACHING STAFF...IN ANY WAY!! I just think he wasn't coached up to what he potentially could have been.
    I will say, Mark Few must be responsible for Shaq and all the other NBA bigs that can't/wouldn't make free throws, to follow the above logic.
    Will probably was intended to redshirt, then Josh broke his foot, got busted, Sacre broke his foot etc. There was always a reason to NOT shirt him.
    I am sure that Alcindor (Jabaar) and Walton would have been total busts in the NBA without Woodens coaching.
    Don't most NBA teams have a big on the staff? Absurd!!
    And former1dog, we will have to agree to disagree on whether I am a nice guy. I am sharp tongued, though usually I bite it, dry witted, and, much to my late father's chagrin (Professor Emeritus, and Chairman of the Geography School at a nearby university), not a college graduate. At 63, however, I have spent my entire life studying and believe that I am better educated than 95% of the college grads I peronally know. Most of them feel so too.
    And, former1dog, I tried several times to agree to disagree, and you insisted on the pointing fingers and calling me absurd. Maybe it's trivial but, you sir (or madame as the case may be) are a cyber bully. Please go to confession, say your penance, receive absolution and GO AND SIN NO MORE!!!

  22. #97
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    And, former1dog, I tried several times to agree to disagree, and you insisted on the pointing fingers and calling me absurd. Maybe it's trivial but, you sir (or madame as the case may be) are a cyber bully. Please go to confession, say your penance, receive absolution and GO AND SIN NO MORE!!!

    Willandi,

    You're continuing to miss a very basic point. Individual people often make illogical arguments, sometimes so illogical that the argument is absurd. It doesn't make YOU an absurd or bad person, it just makes your point, your argument, your logic in this instance absurd.

    Do you understand the difference? There are probably a couple of hundreds thoughts that run through your noggin every day. Maybe none of those thoughts are absurd or illogical. The argument, though, that because Will Foster will never be an NBA player some how indicates that the coaching staff didn't do a good job with him is so illogical that it is absurd.

    Will Foster doesn't have the talent to be an NBA player. He didn't before he came to GU, he didn't while he was at GU and he doesn't now. That fact doesn't make Will a bad person. Guess what, 99%+ of all people who ever play basketball at any level also don't have the talent to be in the NBA, and they never did and never will.

    It doesn't make me a bully to point that out to you. It just makes me correct.

    Have a good day.

  23. #98
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Willandi,

    You're continuing to miss a very basic point. Individual people often make illogical arguments, sometimes so illogical that the argument is absurd. It doesn't make YOU an absurd or bad person, it just makes your point, your argument, your logic in this instance absurd.

    Do you understand the difference? There are probably a couple of hundreds thoughts that run through your noggin every day. Maybe none of those thoughts are absurd or illogical. The argument, though, that because Will Foster will never be an NBA player some how indicates that the coaching staff didn't do a good job with him is so illogical that it is absurd.

    Will Foster doesn't have the talent to be an NBA player. He didn't before he came to GU, he didn't while he was at GU and he doesn't now. That fact doesn't make Will a bad person. Guess what, 99%+ of all people who ever play basketball at any level also don't have the talent to be in the NBA, and they never did and never will.

    It doesn't make me a bully to point that out to you. It just makes me correct.

    Have a good day.
    I never said Will should be an NBA player, I said that if he could stick out the D league, it was still possible. I said that I (me personally) didn't think he received the coaching to help him progress to his max at Gonzaga.
    He probably never will make it to the NBA.
    I think that Few is one of the best head coaches in College Basketball, and if you follow my posts you will see that is so, just in this case I think he fell short.
    I may be wrong, you may be right, we can agree to disagree, but your insistence on not accepting that and trying to "prove" me wrong doesn't make you any more right, and your continuing to call my ideas absurd, just because they differ from yours, is indeed cyber bullying. Your profession of innocence doesn't change that. Fortunately I am old enough that it won't affect me, although I enjoy the mature exchange of ideas and this is clearly not happening. GO TO CONFESSION! or don't, it's your soul.
    Anyway, I am out on this topic. Thanks to all that know how to read, understand what they read and don't put their personal slant to it by reading in what wasn't said.

  24. #99
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I may be wrong, you may be right, we can agree to disagree, but your insistence on not accepting that and trying to "prove" me wrong doesn't make you any more right, and your continuing to call my ideas absurd, just because they differ from yours, is indeed cyber bullying.

    I called your idea (singular) absurd.

    Here it is one more time.

    Quote:
    We have hashed this before, and wasn't really wanting to do so again. But asking a question back. How many of those bigs made it to the NBA? Only Turiaf. How many would have with just a little better coaching?
    You stated, in no uncertain terms, that Gonzaga's big men coaching is somehow deficient because they were only able to produce one big man that made it to the NBA. I said that that is an absurd standard to hold the coaching staff to.

    That is the singular piece of logic I find in your posts to be absurd. The rest I'm happy to disagree with and again we can agree to disagree on those other points.

    Furthermore, with your arguments about the coaching skills of Krystowiak with big men (who to my knowledge has NOT coached any college big men to NBA success) indicates you also disagree with the NBA standard which you proposed.

    Bullying indicates I'm somehow mistreating you. As I'm sure you would agree, it isn't mistreating you to indicate that you aren't being logical or even consistent on this one singular point. Capeche?

    (You're way overplaying the "Whoa is me, I'm the victim of cyber bullying card.")

  25. #100
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane South Side
    Posts
    17,137

    Default Will Foster Waived by the Stampede

    Per this story.
    In order to make room on the roster, the Stampede waived Terrico White due to injury and Will Foster for personal reasons.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •