Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Will Foster

My biggest worry with Will - more than anything else - is if he has a genuine passion for the game of basketball or if he feels he has to do this because he's 7-5 or whatever. It's okay to not be into basketball if you're a 7 footer. There are many other opportunities in life.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Not sure why he wasn't developed.
    There is developing a player, there is utilizing a player, and then there is getting a player to understand and buy in to his role within a system that has had great success.

The Final Four is dependent on getting the first two options to supersede that last.

More with more…

Go ZAGS!

Angry Sounds ungrateful

Foster averaged a little more than 7 minutes per game as a senior at Gonzaga, and that was the most playing time during his four years at the school. He averaged 1.3 points and 1.5 rebounds a game during his 78-game career.

“There was a lot of frustration,” Foster said. “It’s a great program, but I found out I didn’t fit into their system.
    It took you 4 years to figure that out?

He should be eternally grateful for appearing on the court for one minute and getting $200k worth of free education. What an A-hole. All the basketball talent of Herman Munster. Sorry to slander Herman Munster.

Default Merge with Old Dogs

There is a thread in Old Dogs in which I labelled him as an ingrate:

It took you 4 years to figure that out?

He should be eternally grateful for appearing on the court for one minute and getting $200k worth of free education. What an A-hole. All the basketball talent of Herman Munster. Sorry to slander Herman Munster.

from what little i understand, and its second hand, though reasonably reliable, Will is laid back, borderline hippy mentality, (and may lack the passion for the game, as CDC alluded to above)-- Whatever else you might say about Mark Few, the man is not tolerant of hippies or their attitudes. Culture clash and Will should have realized it (and transferred to UC-Santa Cruz) instead of allowing his bitterness to fester.

Default A small suggestion

He played I believe it was Portugal and early in the season just left the team. No explanation That I heard of. I hope that with a year off he has had time to reflect on what is important to him and plays with a new committed attitude. I believe he is a very strong minded man who has had trouble with authority figures. If he can turn this around to be a team player and follow directions, I think he will be a force to be reconded with. Just my opinion and I hope for the best for Will.
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

There's nothing said in that snippet that we didn't already know. Will's frustration was obvious. It wasn't a great fit.

Lighten up, guys. He was and is still a Zag and deserves our loyalty and respect.

Default Reciprocation

It would be nice if he displayed some loyalty and respect to Gonzaga.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag 77 View Post
    It would be nice if he displayed some loyalty and respect to Gonzaga.
    Depends on how you read into the quote.

There was a lot of frustration. - fact
    It's a great program. -respect
    I didn't fit into their system. -personal responsibility
    Agent provocateur

Ahh too much going into this.. He just isn't a basketball player. He's not an athlete... He's just an extremely tall human that thought he had to play basketball.. Not everybody can be taught or coached to be good at a sport. Clearly.

Well hell, why not:

I would take Will Foster the human being over Adam Morrison the human being everyday of the year.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

How do you really feel, 77 ? You act like you wrote Will's tuition checks and you sound like you failed as his free throw coach.
    Last edited by RenoZag; 11-23-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Default Will Foster

Watching the Idaho Stampede and Will Foster is logging some minutes here in the 4th quarter.
    First of all he still looks tall. He's in good shape, and pretty active on both ends. He has logged seven boards (career high), a couple blocks and an assist or two. He does a nice job of knowing his strength as a go through guy. Either at the high post or from the block he is a good target and is effective either skip passing or inside out. He still has a limited offensive ability but does a nice job of getting good position in the block.
    I just cant help but think that he would be much more effective and dare to say a valuable asset if he would play with more intensity. I know some is his demeanor but he leaves the impression that he doesnt really care if hes out there or not.
    Anyways its good to see him on the court, and I wish him the best getting through the D league.

Thanks for the report. Here is Will's profile page on the Stampede's website.

The Stampede play tonight at Bakersfield at 7:00 pm pacific. The game should be available online here ("Futurecast"). I'm going to try to catch that game.

Believe me when I tell you that he very much wants to be out there.
    A year ago he admitted that he was tired and just didnt have the drive anymore.
    But, he's gone through some changes and is refocused.
    He's a quiet guy no matter what's going on. You're never going to see him get very worked up. Thats just who he is. It's genetic.
    I can assure you that as his confidence increases his game will improve.
    He's enjoying the game, realy for the first time in years, and its nice to see.

In the fourth quarter, Will hasn't entered the game. Stats here.

Just watched Will go for it tonight with 16 points and 11 rebounds....looks like the Idaho NBA coaches did in 2 months what the Gonzaga program couldn't do in 4 years (which is to actually play him among other things). Nice to see

Box Score, plus highlight video of the game featuring a nice slam by Will. Next game is v. Canton at home on Friday, Dec. 16, at 6:00 PM Pacific. Online viewing should be available via futurecast here.

Go Big Will!

Hope he does well. He's a Zag, after all.

It seems to be a weird truth, but so often the biggest guys seem to be the ones that have the hardest time appearing to actually try and be physical in the game of basketball. See it all the time. Then, you often see the smallest players play with such ferocity! Napolean smiles.....

ID ZAGFAN Guest

Default Story on Will from Idaho Statesman

Foster, meanwhile, notched 16 points and 11 rebounds.
    “It’s been a while,” Foster said of his double-double. “I don’t even know what that feels like anymore.”
    He does now.

Coach Livingston: As for Foster: “Every time he comes into the game good things happen. Most big guys can’t play in this league because it’s so fast. But he can play and protect the rim.”
    Foster never really found his role in his four years at Gonzaga, which is why Livingston called the big man a project during training camp.
    “He’s not a project anymore,” Livingston said. “He’s earning his minutes.”

Read more: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/1...#ixzz1gduPfJZV

ZaGranny

Niiiiice! Glad to see he's off to a good start.
    What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Another double-double for Will tonight, with 13 points and 10 rebounds, 6 blocked shots(!) and a steal, as the Stampede take down Canton, 98-78. Will with a +/- of +27, just off the charts!

They play Canton again tomorrow at 6:30 pm Pacific. Game should be available or online viewing via Futurecast.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Another double-double for Will tonight, with 13 points and 10 rebounds, 6 blocked shots(!) and a steal, as the Stampede take down Canton, 98-78. Will with a +/- of +27, just off the charts!

They play Canton again tomorrow at 6:30 pm Pacific. Game should be available or online viewing via Futurecast.
    I watched much of the game....he really is playing very well.

Way to go Will.