Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the Consensus?

Default What's the Consensus?

Forgetting about the Bell injury, how do you feel about this loss? Depressed? Dissapointed but hopeful?

Kinda hard to forget about the Bell injury. If he hadnt gotten hurt I would feel a lot better than I do now at least.

If I had to force a word out...disappointed. Easily a game we could have won.
    "Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither." - Benjamin Franklin

Default a game effort

GAME EFFORT, IMO...learning experience for kids...harris was nice

Default We should have won.

We didn't rebound. We missed the easy shots we worked so hard to create, and when we got a steal or tried to play up-tempo we floundered the possession away. 4 steals that we immediately lost.

No 3 pt shooting and Few told everyone that, all week. The entire first half we didn't even try to set up a perimeter shot.

We were sloppy and we are a better team than that. We were predictable and kinda lazy it seemed.

So actually, I am hopeful!!

Illinois got us out of our game and we didn't have the moxie to make the easy shots.

They did. That is home court advantage right there. That was the difference IMO.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Way too many mental mistakes. The game was easily winnable.

Also, the Illinois fans were constantly on the refs for every call. Did it look that one-sided on TV?

Should have won. Dissapointed but am mostly worried about GBJ.

Also, where are the easy baskets? We get 1-2 a game, thats it. Backdoor cuts, etc. NONE, NONE, NONE.

Zag teams used to cut you like a surgeon and leave you in a bathtub full of ice at the end of the game. For 2+ years we haven't played like that.

Did the offensive sets change? Lack of decent passing guards and bigs with hands?

I feel pretty indifferent about this one. We lost a close game in a hostile environment with some players playing less than their best. Must say i was relatively impressed with Pangos playing his first road game.

The sky is falling.

Definitely.

Maybe I'm a perpetual optimist, but they'll be fine. It's early, first road game, and all that. They're also a bunch of college kids (hopefully) having fun playing hoops. People get way too worked up about a lot of this and seem to lose sight of that aspect.

Disappointed they couldn't "get over the hump" when there were chances to tie or even go ahead.

Disappointed but hopeful.

No too worried - first road test against a tougher team than people believe. Backcourt is young - we'll be OK - hope GBJ isn't serious!

I saw a lot of mental toughness from a young team who kept facing more and more adversity. They didn't quit one iota, even when Bell went down. They've got to develop more consistent answers across the board, but they showed more growth today than they have in any of their wins. Biggest hope is that Bell isn't severely injured, but also that Guy will wind up being able to fix some of the issues we saw against Illinois.

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    I saw a lot of mental toughness from a young team who kept facing more and more adversity. They didn't quit one iota, even when Bell went down. They've got to develop more consistent answers across the board, but they showed more growth today than they have in any of their wins. Biggest hope is that Bell isn't severely injured, but also that Guy will wind up being able to fix some of the issues we saw against Illinois.
    How is it you only have 85 posts, Malastein. that is impossible. You have been a member for years. Or am I mistaken?
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Default Michigan State

An early road loss to a respected if not ranked opponent is nothing to panic about.

I am even more nervous now than I was before about the Michigan State game. Even though they have lost a couple games, I think Michigan State is considerably better than Illinois, and I hope that GU's home court advantage works very well next weekend or we could be looking at another loss - maybe by a bigger margin. Hope not.

The BIS game against Arizona may take on considerably more significance. I subconsciously have GU losing to Mich St. and Xavier, but if GU also loses to Zona in the BIS then we will have 4 losses going into the weak sister WCC season, which could be bad news for NCAA seeding, which at this point means much more to me than winning or losing any particular game(s).

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

The guys showed guts and poise in the first hostile arena. They hung in there, kept clawing back, never gave up and showed decent poise throughout. Some mistakes were made that hurt but all in all, a seven point loss in Champaign is pretty much what I expected. We were competitive and I think the guys learned from this game, the coaches too. I'm fine with it. Now just work this week on the weaknesses and prepare for Izzo.

Bell is by far our biggest concern.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

A lot of good plays, but also a lot of bad ones. Too many quasi-unforced TOs. Need more cohesion on offense. Defense looked good. Nice intensity. If one more player can step up on O, then we're gonna be darn good.
    What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Disappointed but hopeful.
    This.

There are definite positives with the youngsters, but veterans need to step it up. Carter needs to stop being a hot dog and Sam (sophomore - but third year in program) needs to play some defense. He can't shy away from contact.

I was very pleased overall today. First true road game of the year against a top level team in a crazy environment and we are counting on many young freshmen players. Many teams would have wilted and gotten blown out especially after they were on fire in the first half, but we fought hard all day.
    I was looking hard at three areas:

How would our young guards fare? Personally thought they played well for their first road game. It will get better but they ran the offense OK, made some plays, and held up well against some good guards.

Would Harris, Carter and Dower step up? Harris was huge and I like his prospects for a great season. Carter has been just terrible and might not be starting in about five more games. Worst GU player on the court in my opinion. Dower was OK but a little disappointing. Still have hope for him but they will need Edi to be a impact player if Carter/Dower can't.

How would Sacre play against a great front line? Played fantastic and was the best player on the court. I know Meyers had 21 but he could not hold his own against Sacre at all. Great leader and almost carried us to a win.

not too disappointed. Illinois shot lights out from the field. Was this our 1st road game? we had a lot of trouble getting open looks from 3. this could be a problem against real athletic teams. also it seemed like every time we were within a fg we had a TO which led to like a 7-0 run. I feel like it was a good learning experience for our young guys. Sucks that Bell got hurt, he was really coming on. I'd like to see more out of Carter. He's really disappointed me thus far

Hudson said Dower at times looked like a deer in headlights. Seems kinda disturbing that he is still this way 3 years into the program and his defense is bad.

Still all in all, I am not that bothered by this loss. Our young guys hung in there and played well for the most part, the vets not as well.

Default poise

pangos and bell played w poise...great sign.

I have mixed feeling on the game. The old timers didn't do as well as expected and the new guys did better than I had hoped. Pangos and Bell played good solid ball for their first road game. If we lose Bell it will be huge.

If Bell goes down, do we pull a red shirt or just wait and hope eddi is the answer.

I like Harris's hustle, he looks to becoming a bigger factor, but dower and Carter are my concerns. Don't mean to second guess Few, but maybe its time to try Spangler a bit.

I saw a lot of positives for the game.
    "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you can never know if they are genuine"---Abraham Lincoln.

If we beat Michigan State next weekend, I'll be fine.. If we lose, I'll be very worried.

Better team won at home.

Gonzaga is good but not great this year. Our best player has no "hops" and poor hands. Overall, we are not terribly athletic.

On the plus side this team seems to play well together. If we can find a good rotation and keep improving, I can see a sweet 16 with the right match up.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Better team won at home.

Gonzaga is good but not great this year. Our best player has no "hops" and poor hands. Overall, we are not terribly athletic.

On the plus side this team seems to play well together. If we can find a good rotation and keep improving, I can see a sweet 16 with the right match up.
    Yup. We lack athleticism and our guards/wings lack size AND athleticism. Edi needs to be as advertised for this squad to do a lot.