Thread: Derek gets an invite

Default Derek gets an invite

with the Hawks, part of the RMR in Salt Lake

Wow good for him, hopefully he does great and gets picked up for the season.

'Grats to Derek.

Winthrop's Craig Bradshaw is on the team, too.

Too bad this is the Atlanta Hawks, though. If something actually happened that he got a training camp invite/roster spot out of this, nobody would see it because apparently nobody knows that the Hawks actually exist.

Easier-to-read link at Hawks' official site

On the link that Soonerterp gave, it listed Derek Raivio as one of ten players under the summer league roster. Below that is eleven players listed as rookie/free agent invites. Can somoene explain to me what is the difference? Are the players below people who failed to make the cut?

I read some interesting stuff on an Atlanta Hawks message board here: http://www.hawksquawk.net/forums/sho...&fpart=#238605

Some things of note:
    8 out of the 17 players are point guards. I guess word is out that we need a point. Crazy part is, we have so many point guards on the roster now that I think it would be very unlikely for any of these guys to make it. I'd think Raivio (because he can shoot) or West (for defense and versatillity) will probably have the best chance.
    So it sounds like Derek has a lot of competition, but if he sticks out Atlanta is thin enough at PG that he could actually make team.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagMania View Post
    On the link that Soonerterp gave, it listed Derek Raivio as one of ten players under the summer league roster. Below that is eleven players listed as rookie/free agent invites. Can somoene explain to me what is the difference? Are the players below people who failed to make the cut?
    I have an assumption but I don't want to make myself look like the first three letters of the word "assumption."

At the end of the day, EVERY player including those on the Summer League roster are at risk of not making the cut. Unless somebody breaks Tyronn Lue's kneecaps or something -- not that I'm advocating that.

Grats Derek!!!

Found this on an Atlanta board:

Competition Heats Up For Final Summer League Roster Spots
    Posted by: Micah Hart on July 11, 2007 at 4:03PM EST
    It is the middle of the NBA off-season, but the Hawks practice court is bustling with activity this week as the Summer League team works out in preparation for the Rocky Mountain Revue. The first round of cuts was made yesterday, leaving 17 names on the roster that will most likely be trimmed to 12 or 13 before the team departs for Salt Lake City tomorrow. Draft picks Al Horford and Acie Law IV are getting used to the NBA style of play, and to the slight variation of rules. "The shot clock definitely, and we have more plays here now." said Horford, "It's just a matter of time of getting used to it." Law agreed that his biggest challenge would be "getting used to the speed of the game, making that adjustment as a point guard."

Along with the draft picks and returning second-year players Shelden Williams and Solomon Jones, there are many recognizable names among those battling make the trip west...

Guards Jarrius Jackson (19.9 ppg in 2006-'07) from Texas Tech and Derek Raivio (18 ppg, 96% from the foul line) from Gonzaga top the list of undrafted players that wrapped up their college careers this past spring.

There are also a number of players coming off of successful seasons overseas this past year. Teddy Gipson, a former college teammate of Joe Johnson's at Arkansas, scored over 14 points per game in Germany, while Brion Rush (Grambling State, 2003-'06) scored 20.1 ppg in Italy.

The only player with NBA experience other than Shelden and Solo that is participating in camp this week is Devin Green, who played 27 games for the Lakers in 1006-'07 before splitting time in the D-League and overseas this past year.

The current roster also features the top two finishers from the State Farm Slam Dunk Contest that was held here in Atlanta as part of Final Four weekend this past season, and both have local ties. Mario West, the dunk champion from Douglasville, Ga., and Brent Petway, the runner-up from McDonough, Ga., were two of five players invited by the Harlem Globetrotters to try out for their team this fall. West played here in Atlanta for Georgia Tech last season, while Petway played for Michigan.
    Another quick mention here: http://probasketballnews.com/amico_071107.html
    Undrafted free agent Derek Raivio (Gonzaga) will also be playing for the Hawks. Considering the team is still desperate for point guards (even after drafting Law), Raivio may have an outside shot to make the cut.
    I'm pretty sure the Hawks first summer league game is tomorrow. I am not sure if your gonna be able to view it live online through nba.com, but I'm pretty sure they will have the games taped and online eventually and I heard on the Hawks board that they will be on replayed on the NBATV channel starting the 18th.

Default an opening here for DR

just might be that quick release. Hadn't thought of it until one of the other players quoted above said he was trying to adjust to the faster clock.

DR could be the fastest gun on the floor. And accurate, too.

here's hoping . . .

Default Rocky Mountain Review

Here is the site with the schedule and other information:

Rocky Mountain Review
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

It will be encouraging if Raivio is one of the final 12 players after cuts that actually gets to go to SLC.

Best to him.

Default Hey you might like this:

A tiny amount of Derek love from a thread at hawksquawk.net

I am assuming that he made the final cut and WILL be on the Hawks'
    summer league team. There were originally a whole bunch of players
    for the Hawks' pre-summer league minicamp but they had to trim the
    roster to 12, 13 players.

Oh yeah -- The Hawks' first game in the RMR is against the Utah
    Jazz ... it is at 7 p.m. Friday 13 July (I assume that's Pacific Time).

Ofcourse some Gonzaga fans come in to ruin the love on that thread. DR improved so much last season and yet people seem to think he's reached his peak and that he can't be an NBA talent. I keep hearing size be brought up, but look at Atlanta's roster..
    Tyronn Lue 6-0 175
    Speedy Claxton 5-11 170
    Anthony Johnson 6-3 195

Claxton is smaller than DR, shot .21% from 3PT, 32% FG, and an astounding 55% from the line while only dishing 4 assists in 25 minutes per game last season. I know he could do better.

Edit: Naturally I had to invade the Hawks message board and post the same thing
    Last edited by ZagMania; 07-13-2007 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Edit: Naturally I had to invade the Hawks message board and post the same thing :)

If anyone is interested, you can listen to the game live online here which I found through hawkssquak:
    http://www.1320kfan.com/

It starts 9pm EST I believe

Edit: It will also be broadcasted live on tv through KJZZ-TV. From their wikipedia page "signals to viewers throughout Utah, southwestern Wyoming, southeastern Idaho, southern and western Nevada, southwestern Colorado and northern Arizona."

So if your in those areas sounds I believe you can watch the games live. Hopefully DR gets a good amount of time although I'd imagine they'd want to give Acie Law much of the playing time at PG.
    Last edited by ZagMania; 07-13-2007 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagMania View Post
    If anyone is interested, you can listen to the game live online here which I found through hawkssquak:
    http://www.1320kfan.com/

It starts 9pm EST I believe

Edit: It will also be broadcasted live on tv through KJZZ-TV. From their wikipedia page "signals to viewers throughout Utah, southwestern Wyoming, southeastern Idaho, southern and western Nevada, southwestern Colorado and northern Arizona."

So if your in those areas sounds I believe you can watch the games live. Hopefully DR gets a good amount of time although I'd imagine they'd want to give Acie Law much of the playing time at PG.
    DR could play the 2 as well ... certainly.