Thread: I was disappointed, but think about this...

Default I was disappointed, but think about this...

Craig Ehlo is now the EW assistant coach. A well known defensive mind in his day, although also known for a incredible shot being made over him by michael jordan. Having recently came from a long stint as Gonzaga coverage man, probably had a lot of insight about how to disrupt our offense and most likely knew a great deal about our sets. I would also argue that no team offense could have functioned well under the foul happy defense of the eagles. I wouldn't think to hard into this one boy (hopefully).

Did anyone else at K2 notice that Ehlo was yelling at Carter during the technical free throws? Also noticed it one time when Rob was shooting. I've never seen a coach on the bench do that...I know Craig is fiery, but I found that a little classless.

Kudos to the Eags for sticking to their game plan. Penetrate and kick on offense, and jam & hack on defense. I hope they do very well this year under Hayford.

It will be instructive to see how St Marys handles the Eags game plan.

Default It wasn't pretty, but for the first time in at least two years

I saw some leadership emerge on the floor during the game. From Elias Harris. He took charge. He shot when it was clear whatever play was underway had broken down. He drove, too, and he boarded and he even had a steal or two. He lead.

I saw the vets, RS and MC, come through when it mattered. I saw the rookie, Pangos, step up when it mattered and deliver. I saw Hart put in a blue collar game. He, too, delivered, by impacting the game when it mattered. He caused several of the people to foul him, as did the rest, and beat them at their game, which was to aggressively beat us at ours.

I want to see more. I want to see more Zags playing. But for this particular game, the tactics presented and the challenge as it was in real time, we emerged with the W. And that was the object going in.

EWU threw their best at us and played like kamikaze's. They locked down our perimeter and tried to intimidate and beat down our bigs. And they lost because, as their coach stated, they have to learn to guard without drawing fouls (read mugging) and they need to get bigger and stronger.

We used to say that about RS. I think he had one foul last night. Instead of fouling he is now getting fouled. And instead of missing his f.t.'s he's a lethal scoring force at the stripe. He's not Bill Walton and never will be. But he's becoming a great Robert Sacre. In every respect.

EH used to get very discouraged last year. It was palpable. And his play dropped way off. Right now, he is the most exciting thing on the floor. But, for my money, he is our de facto leader. He wanted and got the ball in his hands when everyone else was tied up. And he made things happen. Over and over. Not once or twice.

BIG news.

MC was EWU's pinata designate. They did everything except stick a knife in his ribs. He produced anyway.

We are clearly a team in transition but I hope what I keep reading and understanding, from Few, versus the wailers, is that the team, though not as athletic as other Zag teams, has great chemistry.

That's exactly what got them through last night's scrum, imo. And trust. And toughness. A lot of toughness. the kind that grinds those down who try to grind them down. The kind that Hart was called upon to counter the Eagles. And delivered.

With WSU,my hope is our rookies and the quasi vets atop the perimeter can figure out how to get open and take more shots. And defensively, at least get in the same zipcode as the other team's hot hand. Once in awhile.

Few repeated when asked last night that he expects to see similar grinders going forward.

The only thing that could change that would be our perimeter athletes making opportunities and taking shots. It is time.
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Thanks, gamagin, for another great post. You're the best!

Few did speak of this team having great chemistry, but I wonder if a questionable rotation and a lack of any floor time could eat into that. I don't care how much you love your team/teammates, but it's hard to put on the uniform and be relegated to cheerleader status.

Quote Originally Posted by gamagin View Post
    I saw some leadership emerge on the floor during the game. From Elias Harris. He took charge. He shot when it was clear whatever play was underway had broken down. He drove, too, and he boarded and he even had a steal or two. He lead.

I saw the vets, RS and MC, come through when it mattered. I saw the rookie, Pangos, step up when it mattered and deliver. I saw Hart put in a blue collar game. He, too, delivered, by impacting the game when it mattered. He caused several of the people to foul him, as did the rest, and beat them at their game, which was to aggressively beat us at ours.

I want to see more. I want to see more Zags playing. But for this particular game, the tactics presented and the challenge as it was in real time, we emerged with the W. And that was the object going in.

EWU threw their best at us and played like kamikaze's. They locked down our perimeter and tried to intimidate and beat down our bigs. And they lost because, as their coach stated, they have to learn to guard without drawing fouls (read mugging) and they need to get bigger and stronger.

We used to say that about RS. I think he had one foul last night. Instead of fouling he is now getting fouled. And instead of missing his f.t.'s he's a lethal scoring force at the stripe. He's not Bill Walton and never will be. But he's becoming a great Robert Sacre. In every respect.

EH used to get very discouraged last year. It was palpable. And his play dropped way off. Right now, he is the most exciting thing on the floor. But, for my money, he is our de facto leader. He wanted and got the ball in his hands when everyone else was tied up. And he made things happen. Over and over. Not once or twice.

BIG news.

MC was EWU's pinata designate. They did everything except stick a knife in his ribs. He produced anyway.

We are clearly a team in transition but I hope what I keep reading and understanding, from Few, versus the wailers, is that the team, though not as athletic as other Zag teams, has great chemistry.

That's exactly what got them through last night's scrum, imo. And trust. And toughness. A lot of toughness. the kind that grinds those down who try to grind them down. The kind that Hart was called upon to counter the Eagles. And delivered.

With WSU,my hope is our rookies and the quasi vets atop the perimeter can figure out how to get open and take more shots. And defensively, at least get in the same zipcode as the other team's hot hand. Once in awhile.

Few repeated when asked last night that he expects to see similar grinders going forward.

The only thing that could change that would be our perimeter athletes making opportunities and taking shots. It is time.

plus one...good post

BIG news.

+1

Go!! Zags!!

BIG news.

Okay. How bout playing Hoff before he decides to transfer?

Quote Originally Posted by Larryzag View Post
    Okay. How bout playing Hoff before he decides to transfer?
    But doesn't that free up a schollie for the "defensive stopper" Hart?
    11 cheers for binary!

"Make me a sandwich"
    "Make it yourself"
    "Sudo Make me a sandwich"
    "Okay"

Default look who else EWU is going to play . . .

2011-2012 Schedule

Thursday - Nov. 17 - at Oregon - Eugene, Ore. – TBA
    Saturday - Dec. 3 - at Washington State - Pullman, Wash. – TBA
    Wednesday - Dec. 14 - at UCLA - Los Angeles, Calif. – TBA
    Monday - Dec. 19 - at Saint Mary's - Moraga, Calif. – TBA (this a few weeks before we play the gaels Jan. 12)

2011-2012 Schedule - FULL Schedule

Day - Date - Opponent - Site – Time
    Saturday - Nov. 5 - #TBA-Exhibition Game - Cheney, Wash. - 6:05 p.m.
    Friday - Nov. 11 - at Gonzaga - Spokane, Wash. – TBA
    Tuesday - Nov. 15 - South Dakota - Cheney, Wash. - 6:05 p.m.
    Tuesday - Nov. 22 - at Hawaii - Honolulu, Hawaii - 4 p.m.
    Sunday - Nov. 27 - UC Davis - Cheney, Wash. - 1:35 p.m.
    Wednesday - Nov. 30 - at Idaho - Moscow, Idaho - 7:05 p.m.
    Thursday - Dec. 8 - Linfield - Cheney, Wash. - 6:05 p.m.
    Sunday - Dec. 11 - at Cal State Fullerton - Fullerton, Calif. - 3:05 p.m.
    Friday - Dec. 16 - Pacific Lutheran - Cheney, Wash. - 6:05 p.m.
    Monday - Dec. 19 - at Saint Mary's - Moraga, Calif. – TBA
    Wednesday - Dec. 28 - at *Montana State - Bozeman, Mont. - 6:05 p.m.
    Friday - Dec. 30 - at *Montana - Missoula, Mont. - 12:05 p.m.
    Thursday - Jan. 5 - *Weber State - Cheney, Wash. - 6:05 p.m.
    Saturday - Jan. 7 - *Northern Arizona - Cheney, Wash. - 6:05 p.m.
    Thursday - Jan. 12 - at *Sacramento State - Sacramento, Calif. - 7:05 p.m.
    Saturday - Jan. 14 - at *Northern Colorado - Greeley, Colo. - 6:05 p.m.
    Monday - Jan. 16 - at Seattle University - Seattle, Wash. (KeyArena) - 7:10 p.m.
    Saturday - Jan. 21 - *Portland State - Cheney, Wash. - 6:05 p.m.
    Thursday - Jan. 26 - *Montana - Cheney, Wash. - 6:05 p.m.
    Saturday - Jan. 28 - *Montana State - Cheney, Wash. - 6:05 p.m.
    Thursday - Feb. 2 - at *Northern Arizona - Flagstaff, Ariz. - 5:35 p.m.
    Saturday - Feb. 4 - *Sacramento State - Cheney, Wash. - 6:05 p.m.
    Saturday - Feb. 11 - at *Weber State - Ogden, Utah - 6:35 p.m.
    Wednesday - Feb. 15 - *Northern Colorado - Cheney, Wash. - 6:05 p.m.
    Feb. 17 or 18 - at ESPN BracketBusters – TBA
    Thursday - Feb. 23 - at *Idaho State - Pocatello, Idaho (Reed Gym) - 6:05 p.m.
    Saturday - Feb. 25 - at *Portland State - Portland, Ore. - 7:05 p.m.
    Tuesday - Feb. 28 - *Idaho State - Cheney, Wash. - 6:05 p.m.
    Saturday - March 3 - Big Sky Tournament Quarterfinals - Campus Sites
    Tuesday - March 6 - Big Sky Tournament Semifinals - Reg. Season Champion
    Wednesday - March 7 - Big Sky Tournament Championship - Reg. Season Champion
    Last edited by RenoZag; 11-13-2011 at 07:07 AM.
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Wow, that's like 53 games! With the energy they used playing Gonzaga, I hope they make it! :-)
    2011-2012 Schedule

Monday - Dec. 19 - at Saint Mary's - Moraga, Calif. – TBA (this a few weeks before we play the gaels Jan. 12)

2011-2012 Schedule - FULL Schedule

Day - Date - Opponent - Site – Time
    Saturday - Nov. 5 - #TBA-Exhibition Game - Cheney, Wash. - 6:05 p.m.
    Friday - Nov. 11 - at Gonzaga - Spokane, Wash. – TBA
    Tuesday - Nov. 15 - South Dakota - Cheney, Wash. - 6:05 p.m.
    Tuesday - Nov. 22 - at Hawaii - Honolulu, Hawaii - 4 p.m.
    Sunday - Nov. 27 - UC Davis - Cheney, Wash. - 1:35 p.m.
    Wednesday - Nov. 30 - at Idaho - Moscow, Idaho - 7:05 p.m.
    Thursday - Dec. 8 - Linfield - Cheney, Wash. - 6:05 p.m.
    Sunday - Dec. 11 - at Cal State Fullerton - Fullerton, Calif. - 3:05 p.m.
    Friday - Dec. 16 - Pacific Lutheran - Cheney, Wash. - 6:05 p.m.
    Monday - Dec. 19 - at Saint Mary's - Moraga, Calif. – TBA
    Monday - Jan. 16 - at Seattle University - Seattle, Wash. (KeyArena) - 7:10 p.m.