Thread: Eags will be no pushover

Cool Eags will be no pushover

Eastern Washington made the smartest sports move in their history in hiring Jim Hayford as their head coach. He is a great coach and a real gentleman, and while I can't predict how his first season will end in wins/losses?, I can guarantee that no Hayford coached team is going to roll over and quit, ever! His ten seasons at Whitworth, the Pirates were 217-57 with eight 20 win seasons and six NCAA Div 3 Tourney appearances resulting inn 3 sweet 16's and and an Elite Eight. Take the Eagles lightly,and it could result in culture shock. They have Martin Seiferth, 6'10", 230 soph Oregon transfer, a 6'9" 220 Aussie J.C. transfer Jordan Hickert , plus Justin Omogun, a 6'8", 240 Soph, who is strong and will be hard to move up front and a bevy of young fresh-soph guards, nearly all long kids, with several in the 6'2'-6'5" range including Parker Kelly,6'4", 200 lb'er, a solid kid who teamed with Sarbaugh on G-Preps State Champs this past season. So as much as I love the Zags , I will be following the Eagles with interest also. This will be a much better basketball game then some believe?, you know the Eagles will come to play! If the Zags bring their "A" game, we should win by twenty or more?, but anything less than maximum effort will result in a nail biter.
    [/QUOTE]“Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team.”
    ― Scottie Pippen

Default Ehlo Factor

You also are forgetting the Ehlo factor since he was hired as an assistant coach for the Eagles. That should be worth something.....

Quote Originally Posted by kyle dixon View Post
    You also are forgetting the Ehlo factor since he was hired as an assistant coach for the Eagles. That should be worth something.....
    Which way?

Hoping maybe this years team figures out it's about them. Realizing that if they don't take a play off, stay focused and compete at the best of their ability the results will be rewarding.

There isn't a team on our schedule that can't step up on any given night and take advantage of a lack of focus or discipline on our part. However, this may be the most cerebral, as far basketball IQ, and talented team we have had in awhile.The newbies all seem to understand the game and the importance of remaining focused on the task at hand.

I do agree the Eagles have the capabilities of giving us a tussle. I also think the Zags will diminish those capabilities by being in the now, focused and competing on each and every play. If that Zag team shows up it's not really going to matter what Eastern Washington does.

Is it game time yet Zaggies?

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HillBillyZag View Post
    Eastern Washington made the smartest sports move in their history in hiring Jim Hayford as their head coach. He is a great coach and a real gentleman, and while I can't predict how his first season will end in wins/losses?, I can guarantee that no Hayford coached team is going to roll over and quit, ever! His ten seasons at Whitworth, the Pirates were 217-57 with eight 20 win seasons and six NCAA Div 3 Tourney appearances resulting inn 3 sweet 16's and and an Elite Eight. Take the Eagles lightly,and it could result in culture shock. They have Martin Seiferth, 6'10", 230 soph Oregon transfer, a 6'9" 220 Aussie J.C. transfer Jordan Hickert , plus Justin Omogun, a 6'8", 240 Soph, who is strong and will be hard to move up front and a bevy of young fresh-soph guards, nearly all long kids, with several in the 6'2'-6'5" range including Parker Kelly,6'4", 200 lb'er, a solid kid who teamed with Sarbaugh on G-Preps State Champs this past season. So as much as I love the Zags , I will be following the Eagles with interest also. This will be a much better basketball game then some believe?, you know the Eagles will come to play! If the Zags bring their "A" game, we should win by twenty or more?, but anything less than maximum effort will result in a nail biter.
    Seiferth sits out this year due to transfer rules.

I do think that Hayford will be a big improvement over Earlywine. Should see them have success this year and in the coming years. I believe he is a great recruiter, based on the players he got at Division 3 Whitworth.

Should be an interesting game, especially the first half, when the game is "for real". Looking forward to it! Go Zags!

Default Ewu

Also Collin Chiverton who was once a team mate of Drew Gordon http://www.smcgaels.com/ViewArticle....ATCLID=1575626 at Mitty and then a prize recruit to St Mary's and later a star on the San Francisco City College team that won the California State championship.
    I saw Collin play at CCSF last winter and can tell you he is the real deal--very good scorer who will present a match up problem for the Zags

Zags win by more than 20 --> bench players get lots of minutes --> I consider that a pushover

Eastern Washington made the smartest sports move in their history in hiring Jim Hayford as their head coach.
    Better hire than Giacoletti? That would be pretty good. Was it Kansas that EWU hung with for a half as a 16 seed? That was a really good team.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Better hire than Giacoletti? That would be pretty good. Was it Kansas that EWU hung with for a half as a 16 seed? That was a really good team.
    Oklahoma State, and I believe they were a 15 seed.

As for the OT- If Gonzaga doesn't walk over EWU, it's going to be a loooong year. We're a top 25 program. At home. They are Eastern Washington University. Anything less than a 15 point victory would be very, very sad.

Default Eags

HBZ got it right on one point, EWU did get a great coach and person in Hayford. Class act all the way.
    It will take a season or two for him to make his presence known however, this years team will be decent but nothing to write home about. GU will win this one going away, dont sweat this game.

Default Coach Hayford on Zags

“It’s great to play Gonzaga – they are the standard of how to make the most of what you do have and use it to create more opportunities,” praised Hayford. “They are a high-major program that is in a conference with other teams who have maybe a similar situation as we do in the Big Sky. I’m glad to be playing them.

“What Coach Few has done there is unbelievable -- he has set a high bar,” Hayford continued. “In all honesty we can’t call it a rivalry because Eastern hasn’t kept its end of the deal to make it a rivalry. We are going to use this opportunity to go out and play hard. What I would love at the end of the year is for their coaching staff to say that we played them as hard as anyone else they played. If we play hard, I’ll take whatever the result is on the scoreboard.”
    http://goeags.com/sports/m-baskbl/20...11mbNov6GU-USD
    "I'm really excited. I'm excited to wear GONZAGA on my chest.
    -Kevin Pangos-

"You play to win the game, HELLO!?!- I dont care if you have any wins! You play to win the game "-Herm Edwards
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=IMk5sMHj58I

HBZ,

Hindsight says you were spot on and this thread seems very relevant after viewing the game the second time this morning.

We beat a good team. Those of you here who are disappointed by the score I guess my question would be would you rather we lost?

Again congrats to the Eagles but even more to our guys who persevered through a tough physical game kept to the task at hand and prevailed.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

Default Hondo warned us. . .

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    Also Collin Chiverton who was once a team mate of Drew Gordon http://www.smcgaels.com/ViewArticle....ATCLID=1575626 at Mitty and then a prize recruit to St Mary's and later a star on the San Francisco City College team that won the California State championship.
    I saw Collin play at CCSF last winter and can tell you he is the real deal--very good scorer who will present a match up problem for the Zags
    Good call. . .

Basketball Web Sites Listing

"The most interesting place exists between how people see themselves and how other people do." -- Wright Thompson

Just like the old saying; " On any given night"? Never take ANY team for granted. ESPN and the talking heads don't figure in things like basketball IQ and heart in their stats. Hell, they're after ratings and dollars , not love of any game. Truthfully , they prefer that the high rollers win every contest. Oh it's nice when the Gonzaga's, Butlers, and George Masons of sports are invited to the dances, but book it, they hope we don't stay too long. I guess what I'm saying is, in their minds we are NEVER going to be a Kentucky,North Carolina, or Duke. Guess we will just have to keep being proud to be GONZAGA!
    [/QUOTE]“Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team.”
    ― Scottie Pippen