Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: - - -Schomburg Hall- - -

Thumbs up - - -Schomburg Hall- - -

Dick would be very honored...

I'm happy that we will now have this permanent fixture on the site, in memory of one of the biggest and best zags fans I've ever known.

Thanks for making this happen.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Basketball Web Sites Listing

"The most interesting place exists between how people see themselves and how other people do." -- Wright Thompson

Dick is deserving of this for sure, well done!

What a great tribute. Nicely done.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Great call on this one, Mods.
    This ain't rocket surgery!

great idea!
    Bring back the OCC

Posting in honor of the voice. Nice touch fellas. Love it.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Nice !
    "Bringing you more of little since 2007"

Credit Woohoo for the idea. Dick loved baseball. Angelo came up with the forum. Brilliant!
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Great idea! I'm glad he will always have a presence on the board. Thanks Woohoo and the others responsible for the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    Dick loved baseball. Angelo came up with the forum. Brilliant!
    Thank you Angelo and BZ for getting it done! I think Dick would be very proud of this.

Default great idea

makes me smile.
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Just so the facts are known... the only person on this board to successfully traverse a pub crawl in NYC with me from beginning to end is Dick. Hondo... you shall never live that down. It truly is one of my fondest memories of a great man. Dick... you truly were one of the best.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

LIZF's story reminds me of an El Voce and Hondo story...

About 5-6 years ago, Hondo, El Voce and I joined the Kennel Club board to celebrate a big Zag victory. Russell was there, too. The KC kids bought a huge bottle of Jaeger and it was being passed around with enthusiasm. Dick took a healthy chug each time it came his way.

Hondo, on the other hand, would coyly slip his thumb over the top of the bottle each time he tipped it back.

El Voce went home that night well-medicated.

We all met at J&D's the next day for lunch. Hondo and I arrived early and had a shot of Jaeger waiting on the table at the space we'd reserved for Dick. He took one look at it and bellowed at us. The green color on his face contrasted nicely with his yellow and black Pirates jacket.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
    LIZF's story reminds me of an El Voce and Hondo story...

About 5-6 years ago, Hondo, El Voce and I joined the Kennel Club board to celebrate a big Zag victory. Russell was there, too. The KC kids bought a huge bottle of Jaeger and it was being passed around with enthusiasm. Dick took a healthy chug each time it came his way.

Hondo, on the other hand, would coyly slip his thumb over the top of the bottle each time he tipped it back.

El Voce went home that night well-medicated.

We all met at J&D's the next day for lunch. Hondo and I arrived early and had a shot of Jaeger waiting on the table at the space we'd reserved for Dick. He took one look at it and bellowed at us. The green color on his face contrasted nicely with his yellow and black Pirates jacket.

hahahahaha

Hondo, these stories can't POSSIBLY be true?!?!

I'm so glad someone posted this story!!!

I don't know if this was the same night or not, but if it was, EV didn't just partake in the Meister after the game...
    The Zealot family first met Mr. & Mrs. EV as season ticket holders. We sit in directly in front of them. At the time my boys, now known as the Little Zealots, were 7 & 9 I believe. Dick shows up to the game that night more than 3 sheets to the wind and proceeds to tell us about jagermeister and beer pong at the KC house. And in case we forgot about his escapades with the Kennel Club 10 minutes later, he made sure to retell the story to us over and over during the game. And if you don't know this already, Dick's voice is loud. Dick's voice on jagermeister is louder. I'm not sure if Libby was reffing that night but even if he wasn't, Dick was most likely yelling at him.
    Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. -- Dave Barry
    f∞

Quote Originally Posted by zagzealot View Post

I don't know if this was the same night or not, but if it was, EV didn't just partake in the Meister after the game...
    The Zealot family first met Mr. & Mrs. EV as season ticket holders. We sit in directly in front of them. At the time my boys, now known as the Little Zealots, were 7 & 9 I believe. Dick shows up to the game that night more than 3 sheets to the wind and proceeds to tell us about jagermeister and beer pong at the KC house. And in case we forgot about his escapades with the Kennel Club 10 minutes later, he made sure to retell the story to us over and over during the game. And if you don't know this already, Dick's voice is loud. Dick's voice on jagermeister is louder. I'm not sure if Libby was reffing that night but even if he wasn't, Dick was most likely yelling at him.
    It was that night indeed, Zealot...
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

thats what all that noise was about... love the idea woohoo, and thanks for putting it together angelo. seems like the least we could do for such a true Zag.

Aptly Done ...

im thinking a beer meeting may be in order before the first game of the year in honor of el voce, would anyone be interested?

I sat next to Dick this night and remember it well. I heard the story of the escapade to the KC with jaegermeister more that once that night. At halftime I had to switch seats with Über so I wouldn't have to hear it six more times in the second half.

Great and true story. The Voice had more than a little trouble walking to the game from the KC pregame function but told me about 12 times that it was a good choice that we walk and not drive.

great tribute Friday night to EV.

As the game went on and GU continued to miss free throws, the eldest little zealot turned to me and said "Dick always said an angel died when we missed a free throw. Man, they're dropping like flies tonight!"

Dick would bellow out that they were killing angels when a ft was missed. Dick, I can picture you up there now at St. Christopher's Bar N Grill tossing back a cold one and telling the guy next to you 'you're next if GU doesn't start makin' these damn FT's!'

And I do feel you tapping my shoulder when Zombie Nation starts. Thanks.
    Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. -- Dave Barry
    f∞

I thought about Dick during the ND game last night. He would have LOVED that game!!

Miss you buddy.