Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: RIP "El Voce" (Dick Schomburg)

Dick you are loved, remembered and well regarded and it was a privilege to travel the WCC road together. Amen, brother. MJ
    On to Victory!

Most certainly will be missed. RIP, Voce.

Default A small, dark haired lady took a seat in front of me

at El Voce's service last Saturday. She looked vaguely familiar from behind so I moved a bit and took a peak.

It was Karen Migliuri. Her husband, ex-Zag Don Migliuri, and another close friend of Dick's, had died just four month's earlier.

It was at Don's funeral that I last saw, spent time, ate and visited with el Voce.

Seeing Karen brought it all back to me. And reading the kind words and condolences in this thread prompted me to look up the nearby thread on Don, to see what El Voce had to say about our friend.

Don had been battling cancer for about two years when he died. Dick found out shortly after Don's funeral in June that he had an aggressive, terminal cancer and not much time left on earth.

It turned out to be about four months.

Here's what one good friend had to say about another, not knowing his words about Don would soon be used to describe his also dying way too soon.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...ad.php?t=34845
    Last edited by gamagin; 10-04-2011 at 09:43 AM.
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

My only Knowledge of "The Voice of reason" was reading his posts...he indeed was a "Voice of reason". Behind every poster here is a father..son..mother...daughter...sister...brother. ...many loved ones...my condolences to his family...the world and this board are a lessor place now.

RIP.

thanks for all the stories, i always think how lucky you are in life to have so many good memories with those closest to you and its obvious in this thread. our season tickets are right by dick and beth, and he has been a family friend for as long as i can remember. he will certainly be missed, talking hoops with dick was always something i looked forward to. it will be a tough season with the voice, ill definately be raising a brew in your honor before the first game el voce!

Remembering ElVoce brings back memories of the first personal encounter ...

Fresh off the plane at Newark Airport, EV and his Zag War Party (or was that Zag Fun Party?) were met and arrived at the house where they'd spend Night #1 before heading into the city.

A game of "go long" soon followed in the basement, with EV as QB, and the old Black Lab "rescue" dog as wide receiver. (Man, could that dog leap high even in advanced age to catch a pigskin!)

A debate ... which didn't last for long ... about who would take as personal guest quarters the bedroom in the basement where the dog had his own sleeping cushion. Nobody (not even Hondo) would mess with El Voce when he wanted to hang out with a newfound canine pal.

There were a few other games, mostly in the Bay area, with chances for meet-ups. EV was synonymous with finding good beer, good food, good friends, sharing good cheer, and EXTREME Zag loyalty. Loved by family and friends, Dick would probably be the first to say he'd had a wonderfully good life.

Will miss that ol' Nampa asparagus picker, both on the Board and as someone to look up in Spokane on the too-infrequent trips that get me back there. Kind of hope that he was greeted at the pearly gates not only by his human loved ones who passed on before him, but by the wagging tails of every dearly departed canine he'd befriended in life ... including ours.

http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview....ead.php?t=5175

"Go long ........." Dick Schomburg did, but just not as long as we all would have liked.
    Last edited by NJZag; 11-04-2011 at 05:31 AM.

I'll never forget how Dick hated bread pudding. Just loathed the stuff. Hondo and his other friends would deliberately take large portions of bread pudding from the breakfast buffet at Northern Quest where the guys met every Tuesday. It would just about gag Dick to have to sit there while everyone talked about how great the bread pudding was while gorging it down. Could be wrong but I think Dick even got up and moved to another table once, hahah.

The current Denny's TV ad pushing "bread pudding french toast" made me think of this. I have to chuckle.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    I'll never forget how Dick hated bread pudding. Just loathed the stuff. Hondo and his other friends would deliberately take large portions of bread pudding from the breakfast buffet at Northern Quest where the guys met every Tuesday. It would just about gag Dick to have to sit there while everyone talked about how great the bread pudding was while gorging it down. Could be wrong but I think Dick even got up and moved to another table once, hahah.

The current Denny's TV ad pushing "bread pudding french toast" made me think of this. I have to chuckle.
    haha. That's funny to picture. Thanks for sharing.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

RIP Dick.
    youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

I haven't posted on the board in years, just found this and wanted to add my sentiments to those voiced by many others. Thank you Dick for all you did for so many of us!

Dick was great guy. Thinking how I delivered him a new bed before his passing.
    Love the zags for life