Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RIP "El Voce" (Dick Schomburg)

I've just returned from a business trip to read of this sad news.

I've been privileged to have met Dick once. It was at the first WCC Tourney at The Orleans. I have Reno to thank for that meeting because of the GO ZAGS T-Shirts he distributed that year. Walking down a cooridor during a game session, it was Dick that approached me and introduced himself when he noticed the shirt I was wearing. That was followed by an enjoyable 10 minute conversation.

From my brief encounter in person I had with Dick, I can truly say that the friendly and wisdom-filled messages that Dick has posted on these boards truly represents what I expereinced when I met him in person.

Thoughts and prayers from the 'Neer family are sent out to Dick's family and all those that were close to him.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    how many times this season and in the future will we get into a thorny, contentious debate on this board and say silently to ourselves, "what would el voce say?"
    We will unfortunately get in this situation all too much. But when it happens, we can never ask "what would El Voce say" too often. Great point. Here is one of many ways El Voce will be dearly missed.

Default See you later El Voce

Well, his last post was http://www.guboards.com/showthread.p...818#post671818

His reason and insight will be irreplaceable, his friendly all inclusive attitude and HUMOR must carry on. And as such I will reply to him on his final post.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

My condolensces to Dick's family and friends--you are all in my thoughts.

I had a few brief interactions with Dick over the years, and he was always a class act and a true fan... a real loss for GU and college hoops.
    Go Pilots!

Rest in Peace Dick, you will be missed. My heartfelt condolences go out to your family and friends. This has been a tremendous shock on us all.
    Enjoy the games from above.

Very very sad news indeed. You will be missed Dick....

Default Sad newse

I haven't seen him since some time last year. I didn't even know he'd been ill. A loss to this board.

I am so saddened to read this. I, too, met Dick at The Orleans our first year in Vegas and I saw him at a handful of games in Spokane after that. He was always very kind and took the time to chat. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. I will miss you El Voce.

I hate to hear this our prayers to his family. I am an "outsider" but after hanging around here for Four years it seems like family.
    RIP Friend.
    "Bringing you more of little since 2007"

Default When the Saints go marching in . . .

A very warm & loving service was held today for our Friend, Dick. His dear friend Jeff Jordan, his son, Neil, and his best friend, Joe Everson, all spoke about the man they had known most, if not all, of their lives.

Jordan and Everson were both longtime sportswriters at the Spokesman-Review. Dick was a dorm mate with Everson at GU. They also shared several apartments after college, coached together and remained friends, along with Jordan, all of their adult lives.

Neil had the toughest time saying goodbye to his dad. But he did a great job, ending with the heartbreaking story that his Dad always wanted to be a Grandpa.

"Well, Michelle and a I are going to have that grandchild this January," Neil told the audience. "We are going to have a daughter. One of Dad's goals was to live long enough to meet her. We are heartbroken that he won't be here."

"But I promise, his granddaughter will learn all about her grandpa for the rest of our lives. And I will tell her all about the many friends here today who have come to help us say goodbye."

God Bless you, El Voce. God bless your family, especially your wife, Beth and son Neil. RIP.

After the service and the eulogies, it was announced that Dick himself had chosen the music by which we were to depart. And the music began and we marched out.

Please join in, if the spirit moves you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyLjbMBpGDA
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Sad news...rest in peace...

Quote Originally Posted by gamagin View Post
    A very warm & loving service was held today for our Friend, Dick. His dear friend Jeff Jordan, his son, Neil, and his best friend, Joe Everson, all spoke about the man they had known most, if not all, of their lives.

Jordan and Everson were both longtime sportswriters at the Spokesman-Review. Dick was a dorm mate with Everson at GU. They also shared several apartments after college, coached together and remained friends, along with Jordan, all of their adult lives.

Neil had the toughest time saying goodbye to his dad. But he did a great job, ending with the heartbreaking story that his Dad always wanted to be a Grandpa.

"Well, Michelle and a I are going to have that grandchild this January," Neil told the audience. "We are going to have a daughter. One of Dad's goals was to live long enough to meet her. We are heartbroken that he won't be here."

"But I promise, his granddaughter will learn all about her grandpa for the rest of our lives. And I will tell her all about the many friends here today who have come to help us say goodbye."

God Bless you, El Voce. God bless your family, especially your wife, Beth and son Neil. RIP.

After the service and the eulogies, it was announced that Dick himself had chosen the music by which we were to depart. And the music began and we marched out.

Please join in, if the spirit moves you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyLjbMBpGDA
    Oh my gosh, I woulda been crying like a baby during that. Especially while Neil was talking....I know how much Dick wanted to make it to January....

I met Neil once, in Vegas. Seems like a really nice guy, and being Dicks son, I know he was a nice guy. God Bless him and his family, and that baby on the way.

Glad to hear the service was nice.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Default +1

Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
    Oh my gosh, I woulda been crying like a baby during that. Especially while Neil was talking....I know how much Dick wanted to make it to January....

I met Neil once, in Vegas. Seems like a really nice guy, and being Dicks son, I know he was a nice guy. God Bless him and his family, and that baby on the way.

Glad to hear the service was nice.
    There weren't many dry eyes. Many times. A lot of love in the room. And sadness.

I'm hoping Hondo, JHoops, Section 116 and Cavebear chime in. There were many lol moments, some of which Hondo mentioned at the reception.

They are worth repeating but I didn't write them down & didn't want to mangle the moments.
    Last edited by gamagin; 10-02-2011 at 12:55 PM.
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

I didn't take any notes either. Even had I thought about it, I was much to emotional to write anything down. I will take a stab at some things I recall and apologize in advance if I don't get the facts quite right. One of the things that brought smiles to many faces was Jeff Jordan's recitation of 10 things you would never hear Dick Schomburg say. I don't think it is a secret to most on the board but Dick was a staunch Democrat and Jordan's top 10 reflected Dick's political leanings. I recall a couple of the top 10 you would never hear Dick say: Richard Nixon was a great president. Also in speaking to his wife, Dick would never say, "Michelle Bachmann is is town, let's go down and see what she has to say!" I hope others can recall some more of the top 10. Also Dick's longtime friend Joe Everson who recalled he did tell Dick he loved him during Dicks last days alive, which certainly turned on the waterworks, noted Dick had the longest bachelor party Joe had ever heard of. As I recall Joe noted the bachelor party lasted some three days and on the day of the wedding while looking for something to put on his breakfast oatmeal, Joe settled on Jack Daniels as that seemed to be the only beverage in the house. Joe noted he had Jack Daniels on oatmeal for breakfast this morning in Dick's honor. I hope I got that right. Among other things I took away from the service was Dick's longtime compassion for the underdog and the less fortunate. Also Dick always had a taste for cold beer. And of course he loved the Pittsburgh Pirates and all things Gonzaga. Gamagin did a nice job of covering the service. I hope others will chime in and I hope I have additional recall to add more.

Right now I can only recall one of the other "Top 10" things you'd never hear Dick say:

It was "Go Cougs"

Have to thank Hondo for schlepping me from the airport to the service (then back to the airport). It was a wonderful Memorial -- and Gamagin was correct -- there was soooo much love in that room.

Another top 10, at least in rough terms, "My son Neil is an exemplary driver!" Sorry about that Neil, That's how I recall the statement!

It was Neil's Bachelor party that lasted three days. According to Joe, that was nothing compared to Dick's, which went on in some form or another for three weeks. Neil said he was initially worried about having his dad at his, but as it turned out, Dick then in his early sixties, turned out to be the life of the party and wowed all of Neil's young friends with his wit and energy. Jeff Jordan, Joe Everson and Neil all represented Dick well in their eulogies. It was an overflow crowd and there wasn't a dry eye in the house as we all remembered Dick for the fantastic friend and general all around great human being he was. Aside from his family, there were people there representing his past associations with Gonzaga, the media, Spokane County and other walks of life. Many then went to Europa's Restaurant in downtown Spokane for a reception after the services. Dick would have loved it, and many a beer was tilted to his memory. As Neil said, one of the most tragic things about Dick's sudden passing was the fact he'll never get to see his granddaughter, due to arrive in January. He was already calling her "Precious Devine" Schomburg. I know Neil, Michelle and Beth will make sure she knows what a loving grandfather she has, even in spirit. Once, a few months ago, when he and I were out and about on one of our jaunts, he was teasing me about whether he was my "BFF". Later, on our last trip out together, which was cut short by his fatigue from the illness, I told him he was, and he will continue to be. There are not many people that have an real impact on your life such as Dick Schomburg did on mine. I know that's true for many others as well. Rest well old friend, you'll always have a special place in my heart.

Thanks for the bailout Cavebear, I knew I'd screw something up! As you noted Dick had friends from evey facet of his life represented at his service. We should all be so fortunate.

Thanks for sharing your accounts. . .

As has been said it was about as nice service as I have been to. There were some tears but much more laughter. Jordy, Neil and Joe all did a wonderful jobs of capturing the life and times of our pal. GoZag came from Seattle. Our pals from God is a Gael sent flowers which was very thoughtful. A few years back Dick and I made a road trip by rail with the St. Marys gang to one of their games in Reno.
    Dick and Joe and Scott and Pat had very successfully coached youth football and baseball some of those stories were told.
    Dick's life was a good life full of family, friends and sport and the good times far outnumber any others.

Oh wow, just saw this; very sad. RIP El Voce

Quote Originally Posted by 83topper View Post
    I hate to hear this our prayers to his family. I am an "outsider" but after hanging around here for Four years it seems like family.
    RIP Friend.
    You are family 83 and I can assure you El Voce would tell you so himself if he could.

Thanks for the recap of the service gam... wish I could have been there.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    how many times this season and in the future will we get into a thorny, contentious debate on this board and say silently to ourselves, "what would el voce say?"
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Wow. Shocked and saddened. El Voce was always a calming presence here, and I can only assume he was that way in person.
    ...and there definitely is no such thing as Prince Charming.