Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: RIP "El Voce" (Dick Schomburg)

Default RIP "El Voce" (Dick Schomburg)

Our good friend Dick Schomburg--El Voce--passed away last night.

For those that didn't know, Dick served for as the game announcer for the Zags during much of '80's. Hence his board handle, "El Voce."

He loved the Zags and loved the Pittsburgh Pirates.

He was a great Zag.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Default +1, RIP & amen

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
    Our good friend Dick Schomburg--El Voce--passed away last night.

For those that didn't know, Dick served for as the game announcer for the Zags during much of '80's. Hence his board handle, "El Voce."

He loved the Zags and loved the Pittsburgh Pirates.

He was a great Zag.
    The last time I saw him he was at former Zag Don Migliuri's funeral. He found out shortly after that that he had terminal cancer.

He was but a few years into retirement and should have had at least two more decades to harass his friends & cheer on his favorite teams.

God bless him and his family.
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Very sad. I'll miss him. Very nice fellow. Always stopped by in his Pirates jacket to chat pregame. A good man.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

What a shock.

I was a Facebook friend of Dick's and had the pleasure of meeting him at the WCC Tournament in San Diego.

Just the other night I was reading a post of his on FB.

God's speed Dick. Blessings and condolences to your family and friends. My prayers are with you.

Christ's peace be with all.

I interviewed him once for a piece for The Gonzaga Bulletin. A great, knowledgeable man. R.I.P. Dick.

Default So sad...

My heart sank when I saw this thread title. I can't believe it. This happened so much faster than I was expecting. Dangit. Dick was, by far, one of the coolest people I have EVER met. When I came to Spokane in February of 2010, Dick drove my brother and I all over Spokane and more, giving us personal tours of just about anything worth seeing. He was SO generous.

What is MOST incredible to me, is that I met Dick for a total of about 3 days...that's it, but his generosity and his love for the zags and his family were SO apparent, and I will really, really miss him. I'm so sorry to hear this...

May God be with his family and close friends. I know he meant a lot to a lot of people.

I'll miss you El Voce!!!! The VOICE of reason!

Dick was and always be a TRUE zag!
    Last edited by gozagswoohoo; 09-27-2011 at 07:47 PM.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

I read hundreds of El Voce's posts over the years at this board as well as the older ones. Did not know who he was in the "real world", but he was a valued member of this community. So sorry to hear of his passing.

We need more "voices of reason in these troubled times"

ZZ

Default Terrible news

My season tickets have been right next to The Voice of Reason ever since the move to K2. Games will never be the same. We've lost a great Zag.

I was fortunate enough to meet him once when we got together with woohoo at Dominis. I will miss his posts on this board. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
    Bring back the OCC

Dick was one of the first members of this community to reach out when Mrs. RZ had her stroke in 2009. I will miss his friendship and support greatly.

Sad day.

Rip.
    Go Zags!!!

EV and Don used to lunch frequently at Dominis. I joined them on occasion. Just a big time kind guy and a big time couple of Zag supporters. The older ones pass...he'd lost a lot of weight last time I saw him. Those two guys were glued together. Very nice people in the Zag tradition.
    Big loss to our community. We can't replace people like those two.

Default RIP: a great Zag

My heart goes out to his wife and the entire family. The Voice will be missed. I especially have on my mind a couple of people on this board who were really close to Dick...you guys know who you are....my sympathies to you as well.

Met Dick at a GU kegger in 1965 and have shared more than a couple of cold ones with him in the past 46 years. The genuine deal there was not a phony bone in his body.
    ElVoce loved his Zags and Pirates and Vandals, Cougs not so much. We lost an all star Zag fan and he will be missed deeply by all who knew him.

I am so deeply saddened by this news.

I saw his post on Facebook just a few days ago, "cancer is not for wimps" and was concerned but had no idea he was so ill, so close to the end.

He was the first Zag board member I ever met in person and he was a gentleman and a wonderful representative of what it means to be a Zag.

God Bless you Dick, your family and friends.

We are Gonzaga.

Rest in peace and may the good lord bless the family and friends of this great Zag......
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

This community without a doubt lost a lot today, but really gained a lot from him as a member.

El Voce -- In these troubled times, a grateful nation lends its ear to THE VOICE OF REASON!!!
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Default El Voce

Wow, I had no idea - so sad. El Voce... my husband & I would walk past you many times at the MAC, and we would smile at each other because we were reminded of the fun we had bringing Nathan here. When I met you, we shared our love for the Zags, and watching Nathan take in the experience. I think Dick thought: "I love that you love Gonzaga as much as me" which is beautiful. He sent me a PM with the kindest note thanking me, to which I thought "El Voce is an amazing ZAG"! Rest in peace my friend. D & J

I had no idea that he was sick, but I have been wondering why he hadn't posted here for a while.

Dick and I met when we were freshmen and lived next door to each other in Welch Hall. We last saw each other a couple years ago at a GU game at Santa Clara.

I am saddened to hear of his passing, and my prayers go out to his wife and family.

A Great Zag, RIP

Rest In peace, El Voce....

Our thoughts and prayers are with Dick, his family and his many Gonzaga community friends.

My condolences go out to Dick's (El Voce) family and friends. El Voce was a steady and calming hand on this often turbulant board, especially after losses. I loved his Name here on the board, El Voce. Just seeing his name on a post got me excited because I would usually take an opposite view of Dick's. And it was fun. He had a huge persona. It's moving to read all the posts by people who's lives Dick touched. I will miss the light that he shined on this board. You are missed already, Dick.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Thoughts and Prayers and Many Thanks ...

Default R.i.p

Had many hotdogs and chili at their house while attending Gonzaga-Dick and Beth and their son Neil were always great to hang out with. A true Zag. The Voice will be missed.