• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Angelo Roncalli
    Bleeds Bulldog Blue
    • Feb 2007

RIP "El Voce" (Dick Schomburg)

Our good friend Dick Schomburg--El Voce--passed away last night.

For those that didn't know, Dick served for as the game announcer for the Zags during much of '80's. Hence his board handle, "El Voce."

He loved the Zags and loved the Pittsburgh Pirates.

He was a great Zag.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor
  • gamagin
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

+1, RIP & amen

Originally posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
    Our good friend Dick Schomburg--El Voce--passed away last night.

For those that didn't know, Dick served for as the game announcer for the Zags during much of '80's. Hence his board handle, "El Voce."

He loved the Zags and loved the Pittsburgh Pirates.

He was a great Zag.
    The last time I saw him he was at former Zag Don Migliuri's funeral. He found out shortly after that that he had terminal cancer.

He was but a few years into retirement and should have had at least two more decades to harass his friends & cheer on his favorite teams.

God bless him and his family.
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• BobZag
      Dark Lord of the Zag
      • Jan 2007

Very sad. I'll miss him. Very nice fellow. Always stopped by in his Pirates jacket to chat pregame. A good man.
      The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• former1dog
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

What a shock.

I was a Facebook friend of Dick's and had the pleasure of meeting him at the WCC Tournament in San Diego.

Just the other night I was reading a post of his on FB.

God's speed Dick. Blessings and condolences to your family and friends. My prayers are with you.

Comment

• coolhandzag
          Bleeds GU Blue
          • Feb 2007

Christ's peace be with all.

Comment

• MBZags
            Professional Zag Fan
            • Feb 2007

I interviewed him once for a piece for The Gonzaga Bulletin. A great, knowledgeable man. R.I.P. Dick.

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
              Time Zone Challenged Board Greeter
              • Feb 2007

So sad...

My heart sank when I saw this thread title. I can't believe it. This happened so much faster than I was expecting. Dangit. Dick was, by far, one of the coolest people I have EVER met. When I came to Spokane in February of 2010, Dick drove my brother and I all over Spokane and more, giving us personal tours of just about anything worth seeing. He was SO generous.

What is MOST incredible to me, is that I met Dick for a total of about 3 days...that's it, but his generosity and his love for the zags and his family were SO apparent, and I will really, really miss him. I'm so sorry to hear this...

May God be with his family and close friends. I know he meant a lot to a lot of people.

I'll miss you El Voce!!!! The VOICE of reason!

Dick was and always be a TRUE zag!
              Last edited by gozagswoohoo; 09-27-2011, 06:47 PM.
              Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Comment

• zagzilla
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

I read hundreds of El Voce's posts over the years at this board as well as the older ones. Did not know who he was in the "real world", but he was a valued member of this community. So sorry to hear of his passing.

We need more "voices of reason in these troubled times"

ZZ

Comment

• 229SintoZag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Terrible news

My season tickets have been right next to The Voice of Reason ever since the move to K2. Games will never be the same. We've lost a great Zag.

Comment

• gu03alum
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

I was fortunate enough to meet him once when we got together with woohoo at Dominis. I will miss his posts on this board. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
                    Bring back the OCC

Comment

• RenoZag
                      Super Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Dick was one of the first members of this community to reach out when Mrs. RZ had her stroke in 2009. I will miss his friendship and support greatly.

Sad day.
                      The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• cjm720
                        Zag for Life
                        • Nov 2007

Rip.
                        Go Zags!!!

Comment

• MDABE80
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

EV and Don used to lunch frequently at Dominis. I joined them on occasion. Just a big time kind guy and a big time couple of Zag supporters. The older ones pass...he'd lost a lot of weight last time I saw him. Those two guys were glued together. Very nice people in the Zag tradition.
                          Big loss to our community. We can't replace people like those two.

Comment

• CDC84
                            Super Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

RIP: a great Zag

My heart goes out to his wife and the entire family. The Voice will be missed. I especially have on my mind a couple of people on this board who were really close to Dick...you guys know who you are....my sympathies to you as well.

Comment

• hondo
                              Zag for Life
                              • May 2009

Met Dick at a GU kegger in 1965 and have shared more than a couple of cold ones with him in the past 46 years. The genuine deal there was not a phony bone in his body.
                              ElVoce loved his Zags and Pirates and Vandals, Cougs not so much. We lost an all star Zag fan and he will be missed deeply by all who knew him.

Comment

Working...
                              X