Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: What are you eating right now?

I was telling my daughter (12) that in Canada, just about everywhere you go that has french fries there is the option to have gravy on them.

I said, it is so good and so obvious (provided it's good gravy) that I couldn't figure out why NO ONE here has figured out to offer it. So she said she wanted to try it. We made out own french fries - baked so not drenched in oil - and I got a bit of an high-end gravy mix and made it. She LOVED it and calls them "Canadian Chips" - lots of Canadians call them chips (both fries and chips are used interchangeably), I guess the Canadians are more British in that respect.

But it's kind of a cool joke now with her that it's the Canadian in her - which she's VERY proud of bc it's kind of exotic down here.

Poutine (Gravy, cheese curds, bacon bits, gravy) is beloved up there and they taste unbelievable, but it's a little much for me. You feel like you gain a pound with every bite. But I could go with the gravy every time if it's good gravy.

Recommend y'all try it as something different. It can't be "bad" as you know.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    I was telling my daughter (12) that in Canada, just about everywhere you go that has french fries there is the option to have gravy on them.

I said, it is so good and so obvious (provided it's good gravy) that I couldn't figure out why NO ONE here has figured out to offer it. So she said she wanted to try it. We made out own french fries - baked so not drenched in oil - and I got a bit of an high-end gravy mix and made it. She LOVED it and calls them "Canadian Chips" - lots of Canadians call them chips (both fries and chips are used interchangeably), I guess the Canadians are more British in that respect.

But it's kind of a cool joke now with her that it's the Canadian in her - which she's VERY proud of bc it's kind of exotic down here.

Poutine (Gravy, cheese curds, bacon bits, gravy) is beloved up there and they taste unbelievable, but it's a little much for me. You feel like you gain a pound with every bite. But I could go with the gravy every time if it's good gravy.

Recommend y'all try it as something different. It can't be "bad" as you know.
    Gravy on fries is fairly common here (at most amusement parks and fairs, but I think some restaurants do it too), although I usually order cheddar cheese on them with garlic salt. We must be close enough to Canada to have fries with gravy but no Tim Hortons lol.

Oreo's
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    Gravy on fries is fairly common here (at most amusement parks and fairs, but I think some restaurants do it too), although I usually order cheddar cheese on them with garlic salt. We must be close enough to Canada to have fries with gravy but no Tim Hortons lol.
    Coffee is such a small pleasure. I am not a coffee snob, I use a Mr Coffee with a timer, so it will be ready in the morning for my daily cup (1 1/2 by measurement). We normally use a store blend/medium roast (my wife used to like Folgers, but no longer) and it is coffee...but hardly exciting. I stumbled across some bags at the store, "Barista Brothers" (which seems wrong to my senses [doesn't ending in an 'A' imply female?]).
    Yesterday morning, I made coffee and opened a bag of the new. My wife DID ask about it. I know that it is better for a small price more.
    They are often sold out, but I buy 2 bags or more when they have it.
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Coffee is such a small pleasure. I am not a coffee snob, I use a Mr Coffee with a timer, so it will be ready in the morning for my daily cup (1 1/2 by measurement). We normally use a store blend/medium roast (my wife used to like Folgers, but no longer) and it is coffee...but hardly exciting. I stumbled across some bags at the store, "Barista Brothers" (which seems wrong to my senses [doesn't ending in an 'A' imply female?]).
    Yesterday morning, I made coffee and opened a bag of the new. My wife DID ask about it. I know that it is better for a small price more.
    They are often sold out, but I buy 2 bags or more when they have it.
    I meant TH for the donuts we buy the Costco size bags of Starbucks French roast (unless Costco has something else dark roast we like), we're going through the bags a lot faster since my one pot is now 3. We use an espresso pot to make coffee because we like it really strong. The drip maker wasn't cutting it. Sometimes I'll put syrup in it or use the frother from Ikea to make the milk fluffy, but it's not a necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    I meant TH for the donuts we buy the Costco size bags of Starbucks French roast (unless Costco has something else dark roast we like), we're going through the bags a lot faster since my one pot is now 3. We use an espresso pot to make coffee because we like it really strong. The drip maker wasn't cutting it. Sometimes I'll put syrup in it or use the frother from Ikea to make the milk fluffy, but it's not a necessity.
    We have a Krups single serve espresso maker, with a frother, and a grinder for fresh beans.
    I make a nice cappuccino once or twice a year. I also like it strong, but don't like the bitter that sometimes comes with using more grounds.
    It's not funny.