Page 249 of 250 FirstFirst ... 149199239245246247248249250 LastLast
Results 6,201 to 6,225 of 6247

Thread: If you think it, post it

My daughter lives in Fairhope, Alabama, which is on Mobile Bay. Her house is 100' above sea level, so storm surge is not a problem.

Shortly after she and her husband moved in, a hurricane hit. There wasn't a cap on their chimney, so the basement collected water 1-2 feet up the wall. ALL the sheetrock and carpeting had to come out.

They capped the chimney after that.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    My daughter lives in Fairhope, Alabama, which is on Mobile Bay. Her house is 100' above sea level, so storm surge is not a problem.

Shortly after she and her husband moved in, a hurricane hit. There wasn't a cap on their chimney, so the basement collected water 1-2 feet up the wall. ALL the sheetrock and carpeting had to come out.

They capped the chimney after that.
    Ugh... that sucks.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Been through Irene and Sandy... both were Cat 1 by the time the hit. Irene came and went fairly quickly. Sandy was bad... she was SOOOO huge and slow that we got Cat 1/TS winds and surge for a good 12 hours. I live fairly inland on the Island, so surge was a non-issue for me, but have friends and family that definitely had issues. Couldn't imagine having a Cat 5/4 sitting over a spot for a whole day. Devastation must be enormous.
    Though I haven't been through a Cat 4-5 either, I would bet that your Cat 1 left you with the firm belief you'd be fine never going through one again. I know I won't forget 6 hours with 110 mph winds.

100 Plus winds make a sound you will never forget the rest of your life. High pitched, literally like a train, and it never, ever, let's up, it is constant, except for the "gusts" that are even worse, we had gusts at 130. But then it would go back to the 110 unending wind. So loud.

I remember going to bed the night "of" Katrina, the worst of the storm had moved on, but we were still getting 60-70 mph winds, and the noise just didn't go away.

Woke up the next morning to light rain, no wind, and then sunshine and HEAT. It blows in tropical air, the sun feels like it is 100 feet above your head, everything is "wet" so it is humid as you've ever felt, there is no power, so no AC, and you realize the power won't be on for weeks.

It is truly rough, and I didn't live in a place where the shelter had blown down, didn't have water up to one's chest.

They are horrific. 1300 Americans died in New Orleans, not bc of the hurricane, but bc of the levy breach due to a hurricane. Still, near 2000 died in a major American city. Can't imagine what the poorer Bahamans are going to go through, the ones that survived. I imagine many were just blown out to sea.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I can't imagine actually being hit by a hurricane, just the rain we've gotten hundreds of miles inland in the past has caused major flooding. We had a big storm Sunday night and it got me researching historic rainfall in our area, the worst we've had was due to hurricane Ivan and it was just under 6" in a day, and it caused major flooding all over the city. We were in Savannah during a tropical depression and wading through calf deep water pouring down a cobblestone street was more than enough of a taste of costal storms for me. I imagine hurricanes are dropping exponentially larger amounts of rain on the cities they're hitting, along with the insanely high winds, totally unimaginable for someone who hasn't had that experience.

I was thinking just now, "School House Rock" was like TEDx Talks for seven year olds.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I would say that being totally interested in water chemistry was NOT something I would have ever thought I'd find interesting... and yet... I have a bookmarked page for just that. Yes, it is for brewing beer, but still... not what I would have envisioned.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

I would say that being totally interested in water chemistry was NOT something I would have ever thought I'd find interesting... and yet... I have a bookmarked page for just that. Yes, it is for brewing beer, but still... not what I would have envisioned.
    “Is water considered to be a chemical?”

This was a drunken debate that I got into with some Canadian army officers. I’m not sure which position I argued. This was during an overzealous game of “Crud” following a joint training exercise between my unit and the Royal Canadian Dragoons.

If you’ve never played Crud with a bunch of drunken Canadian scouts and paratroopers, you need to add that experience to your bucket list.
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

Default More Crud

From Wikipedia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crud_(game)

Game being played at Fairchild Air Force Base.
    CRUD (also known as "Slosh”, "Remiball", “Goonball”, or “Molliball") is a fast-paced game loosely based on billiards or pool, and originated in the Royal Canadian Air Force. It is played in units of the Canadian Armed Forces, the Canadian Coast Guard, the United States Air Force, the United States Navy, the United States Marine Corps, the Australian Army and the Royal Australian Air Force.

The game is played on an old pool or snooker table (usually the latter, when available) using the cue ball (the shooter ball), and one object ball (most commonly a striped ball since it is easiest to determine if it is in motion). Playing Crud on a new or good condition table may get you banned from the Mess. Pool cues are not used; the shooter ball is launched across the table surface with the hand. A game of crud involves moving around the table and other players, trying to grab the shooter ball and either strike the object ball before it stops moving or sink it.
    I’m pretty sure we played the combat variation of this fine game.

Combat Crud Edit

When teams agree to allow full body checking and blocking similar to what one finds in ice hockey (combat crud) rank is left out of the game. Junior officers are allowed to knock over more senior officers without any disciplinary repercussions, just as in any contact sport. This version is therefore quite popular among subalterns.
    -12-21-2012
    -

When we visited San Francisco 10 years ago we ate somewhere near our hotel and they had this amazing olive oil mixture to dip bread in. It wasn't pesto but it had that green leafy pesto look to it and it basically tasted like garlic and nothing else...so really I'm not sure what the green stuff was lol... anyway, for the past decade I've been trying to find a substitute and I've finally found something close, I bought a locally made garlic infused olive oil and I mix it with the Brady Street sprinkle from Penzey's, it is so good, our local bakery had BOGO baguettes today and I'm in carb heaven right now. But whoa, the garlic is going to keep vampires (and everyone else) away from me for the foreseeable future!

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    When we visited San Francisco 10 years ago we ate somewhere near our hotel and they had this amazing olive oil mixture to dip bread in. It wasn't pesto but it had that green leafy pesto look to it and it basically tasted like garlic and nothing else...so really I'm not sure what the green stuff was lol... anyway, for the past decade I've been trying to find a substitute and I've finally found something close, I bought a locally made garlic infused olive oil and I mix it with the Brady Street sprinkle from Penzey's, it is so good, our local bakery had BOGO baguettes today and I'm in carb heaven right now. But whoa, the garlic is going to keep vampires (and everyone else) away from me for the foreseeable future!
    That sounds really good, sis.

Prime olive oil - plain - with sourdough bread is really hard to beat.

Problem is finding that really good olive oil. It is the most scammed crop in the U.S. Take vegetable oil, add some olive taste to it, brand it as $40 olive oil. I am always skeptical going into those fancy food/appliance stores and looking at the $60 bottles of olive oil.

But if you hit a homerun, it is great.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    That sounds really good, sis.

Prime olive oil - plain - with sourdough bread is really hard to beat.

Problem is finding that really good olive oil. It is the most scammed crop in the U.S. Take vegetable oil, add some olive taste to it, brand it as $40 olive oil. I am always skeptical going into those fancy food/appliance stores and looking at the $60 bottles of olive oil.

But if you hit a homerun, it is great.
    Partanna (in a tin!) is a Sicilian treat - and relatively inexpensive. Beautiful flavor.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by TheZagPhish View Post
    Partanna (in a tin!) is a Sicilian treat - and relatively inexpensive. Beautiful flavor.

I'll have to look for it the next time we go to the store that sells Italian imports, I know I've seen many tins of Olive Oil there, but all the names blend together. I really like the garlic infused though, I'll need to read up on doing that.

We were at the park with our dog Massimo yesterday, and we were all running around playing. I was heading down a hill in an attempt to hide when I tripped. For the briefest sliver of a second I was Superman, flying through the air, parallel to the ground. You know how time slows down in those moments? So weird.

I could see the ground rushing at me, and broken glass all over the dirt I was barreling toward. I bounced and then plowed face first into the grit. My first thought was that I was about to mess up a photo shoot I had scheduled next week (which, most assuredly, I did). Dusting off, I assessed the damage: clearly had torn up my face a bit; skinned knees; skinned right palm; banged up right hip; chipped up left forearm. Not bad! And managed to not even scuff the sweet red t-shirt I was sporting.

As it turned out, I had scraped up around my right eye socket pretty good. My injuries vaguely resemble Mike Tyson's face tattoos. Which would be cool if they were tattoos. But as it turns out, it's my scraped off face. Like phantom of the opera, but without the mask and only at like five percent or something.

Anyway, I realized at one point that I am going to meet LIZF this way tomorrow! I look like a brawler. "The first rule of Cliff Park is you DO NOT TALK ABOUT CLIFF PARK."

OTOH, I might finally make a lasting impression on Hondo.

Wish me luck.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Lmao... that’s something I would do. I know you did that just to make me look good.

Currently sitting in jfk terminal 7 listening to a bunch of tunes i queued on Spotify. Definitely a mellow blend as it’s damn early.

We were at the park with our dog Massimo yesterday, and we were all running around playing. I was heading down a hill in an attempt to hide when I tripped. For the briefest sliver of a second I was Superman, flying through the air, parallel to the ground. You know how time slows down in those moments? So weird.

I could see the ground rushing at me, and broken glass all over the dirt I was barreling toward. I bounced and then plowed face first into the grit. My first thought was that I was about to mess up a photo shoot I had scheduled next week (which, most assuredly, I did). Dusting off, I assessed the damage: clearly had torn up my face a bit; skinned knees; skinned right palm; banged up right hip; chipped up left forearm. Not bad! And managed to not even scuff the sweet red t-shirt I was sporting.

As it turned out, I had scraped up around my right eye socket pretty good. My injuries vaguely resemble Mike Tyson's face tattoos. Which would be cool if they were tattoos. But as it turns out, it's my scraped off face. Like phantom of the opera, but without the mask and only at like five percent or something.

Anyway, I realized at one point that I am going to meet LIZF this way tomorrow! I look like a brawler. "The first rule of Cliff Park is you DO NOT TALK ABOUT CLIFF PARK."

Wish me luck.
    You outted yourself! You could have made up the most amazing story to tell those guys (fencing, fighting, torture) and cast yourself as the hero, but you confessed to tripping.
    It is weird how time stands still until you hit the ground in those moments, I've had a few of them that will forever be in my memory.

Why hello SeaTac and goodbye SeaTac. I hardly knew ye. Ground time of about 30 minutes

Wish me luck.
    Ouch.

I am sorry to hear about that. Sounds painful! Glad you're mostly okay.

If only there was some supplement, some kind of herbal remedy, non-addicting, but something just numbing enough to ease pain and also the anxiety that goes with it. Maybe someday …

You - of all people - will appreciate, that the mind actually can slow down its perception of time. Neuro-scientists have found that in periods of intense concentration, your perception of time can slow way down, it also includes those times that athletes feel "in the zone" - they've linked to the same phenomena, extra acute slowing of time and muscle control.

Related to that, remember when we were kids and time lulled along? Car rides never ended, the summer seemed to last forever, and then long about hitting college time started to seem to fly by? It is the mind again altering its perception of time.

I had to do some research on the literature for another project, was fascinated by it.
    Mark Twain.

Ouch.

I am sorry to hear about that. Sounds painful! Glad you're mostly okay.

If only there was some supplement, some kind of herbal remedy, non-addicting, but something just numbing enough to ease pain and also the anxiety that goes with it. Maybe someday …

You - of all people - will appreciate, that the mind actually can slow down its perception of time. Neuro-scientists have found that in periods of intense concentration, your perception of time can slow way down, it also includes those times that athletes feel "in the zone" - they've linked to the same phenomena, extra acute slowing of time and muscle control.

Related to that, remember when we were kids and time lulled along? Car rides never ended, the summer seemed to last forever, and then long about hitting college time started to seem to fly by? It is the mind again altering its perception of time.

I had to do some research on the literature for another project, was fascinated by it.
    It didn't look as bad as it sounded, and he was able to get an herbal remedy.

I expected a 'Mike Tyson' sized area, it was much smaller and, before he took off the hat, sunglasses and veil, was hardly noticeable at all! LOL (just kidding about the veil).
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

If you have not seen Joker... you have deprived yourself. I am the biggest DC hater but man oh man... that was a phenomenal movie. Joaquin Phoenix is so disturbing that he makes you uncomfortable almost from the beginning to the end. .

If you have not seen Joker... you have deprived yourself. I am the biggest DC hater but man oh man... that was a phenomenal movie. Joaquin Phoenix is so disturbing that he makes you uncomfortable almost from the beginning to the end. .
    Hmm, might have to check that out. Hadn't occurred to me.

Did you know they tailgate for HS football in the deep south? It's awesome. Cars start pulling in after work, about 5:15 or so, and everyone has dinner in the parking lot. Not a lot of drinking - it's high school - but a lot of good food.

The game is just so much faster down here than where I come from in the NW. Some go straight to SEC.

There is some fun culture in the deep small town south. Temps in 70s all week is really nice, too.

Have a good weekend everyone.
    Mark Twain.

Wife and I would love to see it, however our newborn makes things much more complicated. We just got out to see 'It Chapter Two' about 6 weeks after it released. Could be a while.
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.
    Steven Wright

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2012
    Foo Fantasy Football Last Place Champ 2013

Quote Originally Posted by bullzag23 View Post
    Wife and I would love to see it, however our newborn makes things much more complicated. We just got out to see 'It Chapter Two' about 6 weeks after it released. Could be a while.
    I used to go to movies all the time, like the night they come out. After child, it's about once a year that I see an adult movie at the theater.
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    I used to go to movies all the time, like the night they come out. After child, it's about once a year that I see an adult movie at the theater.
    Ours is 12

I average one movie at a theatre a year.

We go see every Star Wars movie (every two years) and one in between.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    Our kids are 12 and 13. We finally left them home to go watch Once Upon a Time in Hollywood for my birthday over the summer. I think that was the first R-Rated film we’ve seen in a theater together, since before we became parents.
    -12-21-2012
    -

Ours is 12

I average one movie at a theatre a year.

We go see every Star Wars movie (every two years) and one in between.
    I already have tickets for Episode IX. The boys are coming with us to that one.
    -12-21-2012
    -