Page 243 of 244 FirstFirst ... 143193233239240241242243244 LastLast
Results 6,051 to 6,075 of 6094

Thread: If you think it, post it

Depths of Despair: climbing family loses son to greatest fear

The bodies of climbers Jess Roskelley, of Spokane, and two Austrians were recovered Sunday from an avalanche field in the Canadian Rockies. Among the recovered items was a phone Roskelley carried that contained an image of the trio smiling, suggesting they had reached the summit before their deaths.
    Bring back the OCC

I hate car shopping
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Kids fast

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Kids fast

Too bad it was wind aided. Fastest HS 100M in US under any condition.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

So tired. Not sleeping at night sucks more as you get older.

Long.... sorry....

So... last year I used TruGreen for my lawn. I figured that I’d pay up front so they’d just come and just do their job. No. Every couple weeks I am getting phone calls trying to upsell me on services. With each one I politely said no and asked them to stop up selling me and to just come out and do what I paid for. No. They kept going all season. So I never signed up for them for this year. 2 weeks ago... come home to one of their signs on my lawn. I call to complain and I am told it automatically rolls over. I tell them I am done... don’t touch my lawn... cancel my account... don’t contact me... and good luck getting a cent for the work i never wanted.

Fast forward to today... who calls me? You guessed it. I lost my mind on the guy. I did something I never do... I told him flat out... “I know that this is being recorded so shut up and let me say what I have to say” I then went into a tirade about last year and the phone call I had two weeks prior. I then said “I told you guys two weeks ago to not call me.. to cancel my account. If I so much as see a sign on my lawn or get another phone call that I will contact a lawyer and sue your company for harassment.” When I asked him if he understood he gave a meek yes and hung up

Nothing like getting your blood boiling at 10 in the morning
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Long.... sorry....

So... last year I used TruGreen for my lawn. I figured that I’d pay up front so they’d just come and just do their job. No. Every couple weeks I am getting phone calls trying to upsell me on services. With each one I politely said no and asked them to stop up selling me and to just come out and do what I paid for. No. They kept going all season. So I never signed up for them for this year. 2 weeks ago... come home to one of their signs on my lawn. I call to complain and I am told it automatically rolls over. I tell them I am done... don’t touch my lawn... cancel my account... don’t contact me... and good luck getting a cent for the work i never wanted.

Fast forward to today... who calls me? You guessed it. I lost my mind on the guy. I did something I never do... I told him flat out... “I know that this is being recorded so shut up and let me say what I have to say” I then went into a tirade about last year and the phone call I had two weeks prior. I then said “I told you guys two weeks ago to not call me.. to cancel my account. If I so much as see a sign on my lawn or get another phone call that I will contact a lawyer and sue your company for harassment.” When I asked him if he understood he gave a meek yes and hung up

Wow, that sucks! I like your response.
    Bring back the OCC

I am so thankful that our youngest turned one last month. He got his MMR vaccine just in time, we've had 4 cases of measels reported in the city in the last two days, I'm worried for my friends with newborns.

Long.... sorry....

Atta boy.

Damn, and I had your demand letter halfway written for you by the time you got to the end of the story.

Charlie Pierce over at Esquire says that the "heart of modern big corporate American business plans all involve fraud on some level" - Comcast, Chase, FB, the lawn guys ….
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    I am so thankful that our youngest turned one last month. He got his MMR vaccine just in time, we've had 4 cases of measels reported in the city in the last two days, I'm worried for my friends with newborns.
    Do NOT get me started on anti-vaxxers. My sister-in-law is one of them and has refused to vaccinate her 7 yr old son and with all of these outbreaks it is just plain killing my wife.

Do NOT get me started on anti-vaxxers. My sister-in-law is one of them and has refused to vaccinate her 7 yr old son and with all of these outbreaks it is just plain killing my wife.
    The amazing thing to me is that even if there was evidence that there was any link between vaccinations and any developmental issue - which there isn't any, none - but even IF there was, from a public health standpoint, the vaccination benefit would still SO VASTLY outweigh the risks that a responsible person would have their children vaccinated anyway.

These anti-vaxxers seem to believe that the world was better when children died of polio, measles, small pox, etc. They want to go back to "all natural" cures, forgetting that people used to die "all naturally" in childhood.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    The amazing thing to me is that even if there was evidence that there was any link between vaccinations and any developmental issue - which there isn't any, none - but even IF there was, from a public health standpoint, the vaccination benefit would still SO VASTLY outweigh the risks that a responsible person would have their children vaccinated anyway.

These anti-vaxxers seem to believe that the world was better when children died of polio, measles, small pox, etc. They want to go back to "all natural" cures, forgetting that people used to die "all naturally" in childhood.

It is vexing and baffling. 'Natural resistance' led to 1/3 or more of Europe dying during the Black Death. It was only arrested by the combination of vaccines and public health measures, the very things anti-vaxxers oppose. The distrust of science is one of the more troublesome cultural developments of the 21st Century. I think it is going to lead to a lot of deaths.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post

I don't know how many of the anti-vaxxers were alive during those times. I am 70 and don't remember much of it, although I did get my vaccines. I did have friends that had been crippled by polio.

The entire concept of vaccination is that the good of the many outweigh the good of the individual. Lately it is that the individual believes that they are more important than survival of the species.

As Kitz says, I too fear that many will die.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

It amazes me that people try to use the "we all caught ____ and we survived" argument for why people don't need vaccines now. Obviously a lot of people didn't make it, or their lives were greatly shortened due to the illnesses and they're not here to tell other people how horrible it was and how they'd give anything to avoid it. I had chickenpox before the vaccine was common.... and it sucked, totally ruined two weeks of summer vacation. My mom had mumps and had to miss graduation. Do people really want to roll the dice and possibly miss out on life events being hijacked by preventable diseases?! Not to mention, do they want to possibly be the cause of someone's death who can't get the vaccine/lost their immunity due to medical treatments.

As I've heard it from some old timers, one of the very early group vaccinations for polio was done a block away from where we live (it's a former junior high school), our high school football team was decimated by polio one season while Salk was working on the vaccine and they did a small test vaccination (sugar cubes) of some of the junior high school kids before the general public was able to get it. My family was pretty lucky when it came to polio (and the 1918 flu pandemic too) no one caught it, this may be one time our dislike/inability to swim had a positive impact on survival.

This is a story about the pediatric practice that we send our boys to (just to show the militant way anti-vax people go after practices) and how they tried to learn how misinformation is spread so quickly... https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...=.9306dd1dc1a2

What blows my mind is that a good chunk of these anti-vaxxers are well educated. They should have the critical thinking skills to see the truth... but they have committed themselves to the lies about vaccines

I am about to lose my mind. We bought a TV 2 months ago. On Saturday it started displaying a line across the top of the screen about 6 inches from the top. I contacted Samsung and they are sending a repair person to fix it. But, they refuse to work on it if is mounted on the wall. This is an 82" television. It is not something I can do on my own and the repair company refuses to do it because it is a liability for them. So, I went back to Best Buy where I purchased it. They will unmount it for me then remount it afterwards, but I will be charged for both visits. So... for a WARRANTY repair, I am going to be out $100. Best Buy, when I called to complain, bounced me from the local store, to corporate, to the local store, to corporate, to the local store, and you guessed it back to corporate, and yet again back to the local store... who was about to try and bounce me there again... I stopped the guy dead in his tracks at that point. So now later tonight I have to personally go to the store to talk to a manager, why he/she could not pick up a phone is beyond me. Hell, I am willing to meet them half way on them taking it down and putting it back up... but I can't talk to anyone with any authority. SMDH

I am about to lose my mind. We bought a TV 2 months ago. On Saturday it started displaying a line across the top of the screen about 6 inches from the top. I contacted Samsung and they are sending a repair person to fix it. But, they refuse to work on it if is mounted on the wall. This is an 82" television. It is not something I can do on my own and the repair company refuses to do it because it is a liability for them. So, I went back to Best Buy where I purchased it. They will unmount it for me then remount it afterwards, but I will be charged for both visits. So... for a WARRANTY repair, I am going to be out $100. Best Buy, when I called to complain, bounced me from the local store, to corporate, to the local store, to corporate, to the local store, and you guessed it back to corporate, and yet again back to the local store... who was about to try and bounce me there again... I stopped the guy dead in his tracks at that point. So now later tonight I have to personally go to the store to talk to a manager, why he/she could not pick up a phone is beyond me. Hell, I am willing to meet them half way on them taking it down and putting it back up... but I can't talk to anyone with any authority. SMDH
    I am trying to wrap my head around what an 82" TV looks like (we have a 60" in the basement), that seriously sucks that they're charging you for what should be warranty (wonder if a social media complaint might get you a little $ off), I hope the repair goes well and you don't have to deal with anymore phone calls to them!

27 years ago today, I graduated from Gonzaga.

Well spent another hour last night at Best Buy. They are returning the current TV and giving us a new one instead. Manager last night was pretty nice. She said, "realistically, they were never going to fix your TV on the spot and would have likely taken it with them. I'm content... I don't want a TV that already had issues. Just feel like there is 3 hours of my life that I'd really really like back.

I've lost 45 ish lbs since Christmas. Feeling like a million bucks!

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    I've lost 45 ish lbs since Christmas. Feeling like a million bucks!
    Congrats. I'm down 20 in the same time... hitting a major wall though.

Congrats. I'm down 20 in the same time... hitting a major wall though.
    I had hit a wall a few weeks ago, but changed my thought process from counting calories burned (I've been working out a ton) to counting calories consumed (while still working out). I've lost 4 pounds in a week!

I essentially have been using the Paleo approach, with a couple of 30 days periods where I was super strict doing the "Whole30".

I figured I better doing something because I had gotten really fat, my apologies but there is no better way to describe where I was at.

I had hit a wall a few weeks ago, but changed my thought process from counting calories burned (I've been working out a ton) to counting calories consumed (while still working out). I've lost 4 pounds in a week!

I essentially have been using the Paleo approach, with a couple of 30 days periods where I was super strict doing the "Whole30".

I figured I better doing something because I had gotten really fat, my apologies but there is no better way to describe where I was at.
    Paleo works, and you feel 10x better. I have real trouble sticking with it, though.

"To the Right of Genghis Khan" bwahahahahahaaha. That was funny.

In all seriousness, has anyone else read those stories that showed how many descendants across Asia have DNA traced right back to him? It is not funny how they got it, the guy simply raped his way across Asia, but the modern ramifications were staggering. I cannot recall when I read the story, but it was mindblowing. ….

Found it!!! http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gn...-genghis-khan/

In 2003 a groundbreaking historical genetics paper reported results which indicated that a substantial proportion of men in the world are direct line descendants of Genghis Khan. By direct line, I mean that they carry Y chromosomes which seem to have come down from an individual who lived approximately 1,000 years ago. As Y chromosomes are only passed from father to son, that would mean that the Y is a record of one’s patrilineage. Genghis Khan died ~750 years ago, so assuming 25 years per generation, you get about 30 men between the present and that period. In more quantitative terms, ~10% of the men who reside within the borders of the Mongol Empire as it was at the death of Genghis Khan may carry his Y chromosome, and so ~0.5% of men in the world, about 16 million individuals alive today, do so
    Again, nothing funny about rape, but it is mind-blowing.
    Mark Twain.

27 years ago today, I graduated from Gonzaga.
    40 years, on Mother's Day. A member of our class gave the commencement address to this year's undergrads, Joseph Caravahlo, MG (Ret). His remarks are available at the GU website.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    40 years, on Mother's Day. A member of our class gave the commencement address to this year's undergrads, Joseph Caravahlo, MG (Ret). His remarks are available at the GU website.
    That is awesome.

As best I can tell, there is only one of my ROTC classmates still active duty and he's a full bird now.

Time flies!