Page 242 of 244 FirstFirst ... 142192232238239240241242243244 LastLast
Results 6,026 to 6,050 of 6086

Thread: If you think it, post it

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    You know, I had the exact same reaction.

"Oh, NOW you're going to "donate" money to a charitable cause? Rebuilding one of the world's most iconic "things"? Bet they ask to have a "Vitton" or something put on the roof."

That church belonged to the world, but it officially belonged to the Catholic church and the French state, which probably should have announced a joint operation to fund the repairs, while simultaneously calling for "shelters" or donations to Catholic charities be made in the name of Notre Dame.

I suppose the rich can donate to whatever they want, but I did immediately see this as a vanity project.
    There is a thread on a jewelers forum on Facebook. A couple of the people pointed out that it is private money and they can do with it whatever they want.

I asked if they would be OK with those Billionaires using their private money to fund the Nazi party, Isis or another world wide terrorism...Crickets.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    In 1958, my Dad was stationed at Dreux, France about 56 K west of Paris. We got to go see most of the cool things, especially within a 3-4 hour drive, a day trip, the cathedral in Chartes, Mont St Michel, Where Joan of Arc was burned at the stake, and spent a lot of time in Paris. We saw the Eiffel, the Louvre, Notre Dame and most of the highlights.
    I was 10 years old and our 5th grade class went on a field trip to Notre Dame. We got to go all over, including up one of the main towers. I was somewhat shy, so I know the whole class got to go up, I would never have wandered away on my own.
    The tops of those two domes have a huge copper disc in the center. I am sure that people would have told me that I should know better, but there were literally thousands of names scratched into that copper dome...and someone had conveniently left a nail on that roof.
    My name is scratched into one of those domes, along with, as my 10 year old mind imagined, the names of the Musketeers, the Knights returning from the Crusades (even if the timeline was wrong, my fertile imagination didn't care), and probably even a Kilroy. Immortalized, in a manner of speaking.

I have a Facebook Jeweler friend from Paris. His take on the aftermath of this monumental fire is different then any I have seen elsewhere.

He is angry at the 2 billionaires that have pledged 300 Million Euros to jump start the repairs. He has stated that he would rather see the shell of the cathedral remain as it is, and have that 300 Million Euros be put to feeding the hungry in Paris, to sheltering the homeless in Paris. He is angry that the wealthy want to be immortalized in earthly tangible things, much like those that built the monuments to begin with. Their name on a plaque telling how pious they are, how much they donated to rebuild this edifice to man's worship of...

He would prefer that the money be spent on humanity rather than a temple.
    First of all, REALLY cool story about your field trip and "graffiti."

I can understand the sentiment about leaving it as the shell (like the Colosseum) and using the money for better things...but it sounds like leaving it to decay could affect the other buildings in close proximity if it's at risk of collapse. I live in the land of Andrew Carnegie and while we go to libraries and visit museums with his name his donations don't erase the horrors of the industrial era and the way the Homestead Strike was handled (and for that matter the role his millionaires club played in the Johnstown flood). If it makes the big donors puff up in self import I'm okay with humoring them and taking their money.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    First of all, REALLY cool story about your field trip and "graffiti."

I can understand the sentiment about leaving it as the shell (like the Colosseum) and using the money for better things...but it sounds like leaving it to decay could affect the other buildings in close proximity if it's at risk of collapse. I live in the land of Andrew Carnegie and while we go to libraries and visit museums with his name his donations don't erase the horrors of the industrial era and the way the Homestead Strike was handled (and for that matter the role his millionaires club played in the Johnstown flood). If it makes the big donors puff up in self import I'm okay with humoring them and taking their money.
    Thank you. I was beginning to think no one else read that, or they wanted to shame me. It is a guilty sort of memory.

I, personally, would like to see it rebuilt. The Cathedral at Reims was burned in 1914 and was rebuilt by 1939, so it can be done.

I have read that over 1 BILLION dollars have already be pledged. Since most of that money won't be needed for a while, why not dedicated the interest to the humanitarian needs. It would be a Let Them Eat Cake moment for the French, although that interest could provide for many throughout Europe.

Thank you. I was beginning to think no one else read that, or they wanted to shame me. It is a guilty sort of memory.

I, personally, would like to see it rebuilt. The Cathedral at Reims was burned in 1914 and was rebuilt by 1939, so it can be done.

I have read that over 1 BILLION dollars have already be pledged. Since most of that money won't be needed for a while, why not dedicated the interest to the humanitarian needs. It would be a Let Them Eat Cake moment for the French, although that interest could provide for many throughout Europe.
    Oh, Will, it wasn't that it wasn't a very very cool story (I don't blame you at all), I was just taken by the power of your argument at the end, I couldn't think of anything else. Do know, I appreciate the story, very much. It's more a testimony to how big a nerve you hit, bc it's absolutely true, and typical "Will" to note it.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Anyone else notice that the ads on YouTube always come through PERFECTLY, but then the videos skip their way through? No matter how blistering fast your net connection? (Not that banned to Satellite net out in the middle of nowhere is fast, but …) it's like a "truism" of the net.

YouTube ads ALWAYS come through perfectly.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

You would think that memories of the French Revolution would keep the uber wealthy in check from getting too haughty lol. That's a very good idea about using the interest for humanitarian efforts.
    It's interesting reading about the different demises of the Cathedral and how it was re-built at various points.

Anyone else notice that the ads on YouTube always come through PERFECTLY, but then the videos skip their way through? No matter how blistering fast your net connection? (Not that banned to Satellite net out in the middle of nowhere is fast, but …) it's like a "truism" of the net.

YouTube ads ALWAYS come through perfectly.
    I saw, on the main BB forum, that LouisianaZag will be going to the A&M game. He's about 100 miles west of Jackson. You guys could almost watch games together.

During WWI, in 1914, Reims Cathedral was destroyed by fire. All of the timber frame superstructure burned. The lead roof melted and poured through the stone gargoyles, which in turn destroyed bishop's palace.

Restoration began in 1919, and the cathedral fully reopened in 1938, thanks in part to large donations from the Rockefeller family. Additional work has continued throughout the ensuing years.

During WWI, in 1914, Reims Cathedral was destroyed by fire. All of the timber frame superstructure burned. The lead roof melted and poured through the stone gargoyles, which in turn destroyed bishop's palace.

Restoration began in 1919, and the cathedral fully reopened in 1938, thanks in part to large donations from the Rockefeller family. Additional work has continued throughout the ensuing years.

Did it escaped WW2 without any damage? That's a hell of a time to complete the rebuilding .

My wife was talking about things she misses about living near DC. I told her I miss fire flies. She reminded me about cicadas. We hated cicadas.

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    My wife was talking about things she misses about living near DC. I told her I miss fire flies. She reminded me about cicadas. We hated cicadas.
    Cicadas were the worst. I had two cicada years during my time in DC. Those things would land on you and just stay unless you picked them off. I was in a couple soccer leagues and we would be running around with four or five of those bad boys on our backs or shoulders.

I didn't realize lightening bugs weren't all over the country. And eww I think this might be the year cicadas come back!

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    Did it escaped WW2 without any damage? That's a hell of a time to complete the rebuilding .
    It seems to have. The stories I can find talk about the fire of 1914 but nothing later. It is bigger than Notre Dame in Paris.

Quote Originally Posted by kdaleb View Post
    Cicadas were the worst. I had two cicada years during my time in DC. Those things would land on you and just stay unless you picked them off. I was in a couple soccer leagues and we would be running around with four or five of those bad boys on our backs or shoulders.
    Yeah, but sometimes they are an absolute symphony at night, I love listening to the hum, especially in the DEEP south, when on certain "warm" evenings, I'll allow myself a little "muddy water" (I rarely drink nowadays) as it's called down here, with a big ice cube in it and listen to the cicadas.

You folks who think they are the worst haven't had run-ins with "love bugs" - those things that I've only ever seen down here, fly around with mates, get in EVERYTHING and are EVERYWHERE.

Speaking of getting in everything and everywhere, the southeast has been invaded by "fire ants" from south America. They figure that they came through the port of Mobile in 1918, and are now covering the southeast. IF you ever step in a hill, you will NEVER forget it. At first, the bite is a bit painful, kind of like being stuck with pins, but the REAL bad thing happens about 15-20 minutes later, when they itch like the single worst mosquito bite you've ever had, only you likely have 15 of them.

For those that don't know of what I'm talking about: http://extension.msstate.edu/insects/fire-ants

Fire ants bite as well, grasping the skin with their mandibles to anchor themselves and better insert their sting. The bite is of no lasting consequence, but the venom they inject through their sting is quite potent, especially in relation to their size. Unlike the sting of the honey bee, the sting of the fire ant is not barbed, and an individual worker can sting repeatedly and still survive to return to her normal duties.

Initially, there is a sharp localized pain. Within about 24 hours a raised white pustule forms at the site, and this will persist for many days. Despite the appearance of this pustule, it is not infected. Stings can cause localized pain and/or itching for several days, and they can potentially become infected, especially if broken open by scratching or other causes. The potential for secondary problems is greater in people suffering from medical problems, such as diabetes or compromised immune systems.
    Mark Twain.

Yeah, but sometimes they are an absolute symphony at night, I love listening to the hum, especially in the DEEP south, when on certain "warm" evenings, I'll allow myself a little "muddy water" (I rarely drink nowadays) as it's called down here, with a big ice cube in it and listen to the cicadas.

You folks who think they are the worst haven't had run-ins with "love bugs" - those things that I've only ever seen down here, fly around with mates, get in EVERYTHING and are EVERYWHERE.

Speaking of getting in everything and everywhere, the southeast has been invaded by "fire ants" from south America. They figure that they came through the port of Mobile in 1918, and are now covering the southeast. IF you ever step in a hill, you will NEVER forget it. At first, the bite is a bit painful, kind of like being stuck with pins, but the REAL bad thing happens about 15-20 minutes later, when they itch like the single worst mosquito bite you've ever had, only you likely have 15 of them.

For those that don't know of what I'm talking about: http://extension.msstate.edu/insects/fire-ants
    However, when molten aluminum id poured into their nests, they make beautiful sculptures.

However, when molten aluminum id poured into their nests, they make beautiful sculptures.

Step in one of their nests just once, or even sweep/rake the wrong direction - as I did ONCE (raked toward me) in flipflops - and you will EAT through that aluminum if it would make the itch go away.

I will tell you, the one thing that works the best on feet - since I am always in flip flops, I have had hundreds of bites on my feet, the one thing that works is Ben Gay, or Preparation H, and you feel like a dumbass putting it thick on your feet, but in 5 minutes, you're really glad.

Those things make a mosquito bite look like NOTHING compared to an itch.
    Mark Twain.

Having studied broadcasting at Gonzaga....Worked at ABC NBC affiliates...worked in Hollywood for 20+ years...it's sad at how myopic the news media has become.

Y'all be thinking about us for the next few hours. If any of you look at your doplar, we have a line of orange and red headed right on through the state, schools are all let out early, cars overturned just by 70 mph winds in Jackson, things are about to get real down here.

These are absolutely terrifying, there's nowhere to hide.
    Mark Twain.

Y'all be thinking about us for the next few hours. If any of you look at your doplar, we have a line of orange and red headed right on through the state, schools are all let out early, cars overturned just by 70 mph winds in Jackson, things are about to get real down here.

These are absolutely terrifying, there's nowhere to hide.
    Damn dude; I will say a prayer. Stay safe.
    Bring back the OCC

Damn dude; I will say a prayer. Stay safe.
    WE got very lucky. Not everyone did.

Where we are, we sort of split the middle in terms of vicious wind, and tornadoes. All the reports are not in yet, but there was a tornado headed toward Hattiesburg, and there were funnel clouds reported above Jackson and to the east, cars overturned and trees down. It might have been big gusts within the T-storms, it might have been a tornado, they are never really positive right off unless it's just a massive one.

We had hard hard hard rain, the type that knocks out all satellite comm, and pools water in the lawns. But we really didn't get any hard wind at all.

We had a couple of massive claps of thunder right over the house, the type that you see the light the second that you hear the "explosion" (it's not really thunder when there's no delay).

I went out and checked on the dog, he's got a nice Kennel right on the protected front deck. But, he's still just a puppy, a year and half old (105 lbs, "Chief of Security" doesn't like things at night) and he was in his kennel just shaking. He HATES thunder. But he was dry and safe under the overhang and in his kennel.

All in all, not near as bad as it looked to be coming on us.

But that's the thing about these squall lines, you just have absolutely no idea. You see a big line of thick orange and red coming at you, and you know there's going to be destructive stuff in it, you just don't know where.

They have a pretty good warning system, but those work only for the real big ones that stay on the ground a while, which are the minority. The vast majority are small "micro bursts" that are hard to tell if it was a tornado or just a massive gust, but it's stuff that can bring a tree right on top of your head, even inside, and that's about all it takes.

I am afraid of tornadoes, if you can't tell. Hurricanes are fair. They give you at least a 2-3 days heads up, you can bunker down and prepare, you can get the hell north, all that is reasonable.

Tornadoes don't play fair at all. Everything has gotten scarier since having a daughter. I am sure near all here can relate. One doesn't look at ANYTHING the same again once your own kids are involved.
    Mark Twain.

That sounds very scary. I’m glad you are safe.

You should move back to Spokane
    Last edited by gu03alum; 04-19-2019 at 11:52 AM.
    Bring back the OCC

Don't miss my midwest youth AT ALL. Michigan was all about tornadoes. But the reality is, no matter where you live, there is something Mother Nature will throw your way. Midwest, tornadoes, Spokane... fires. Long Island, hurricanes and thunderstorms that cook up in what seems like a second.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Got news today that the brother of the girl I went to my senior prom with, along with two others are missing and assumed dead after an avalanche at Banff. Please say a prayer for Jess Roskelly, and that he is found alive, and the rest of the Roskelly family. That family is legendary in terms of climbing mountains... hope early reports turn out wrong.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Got news today that the brother of the girl I went to my senior prom with, along with two others are missing and assumed dead after an avalanche at Banff. Please say a prayer for Jess Roskelly, and that he is found alive, and the rest of the Roskelly family. That family is legendary in terms of climbing mountains... hope early reports turn out wrong.
    Sending good thoughts and high hopes for a miracle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basketball Web Sites Listing

"The most interesting place exists between how people see themselves and how other people do." -- Wright Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Sending good thoughts and high hopes for a miracle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Didn't realize that his sister, the one I went to prom with, now lives and teaches in your area.