Page 176 of 276 FirstFirst ... 76126166172173174175176177178179180186226 ... LastLast
Results 4,376 to 4,400 of 6889

Thread: If you think it, post it

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    I have been looking at a lot of lakefront property. I have found some lots without homes on them for under $50k which would make the payment pretty reasonable. I think that eventually I would buy a tiny home and place it on the property. Until then I can camp there or buy an inexpensive camp trailer to put there. I was going to buy a new vehicle, but I figured I would rather have lake property than a nice car for the same payment. We went and looked at a few places yesterday. My wife suggested last night that instead of buying a lake property that we just buy a boat and go to whatever lake we want. She pointed out that the reason I want a lakefront property is so I can eventually have a boat there. What do you think? Should I buy a new Toyota Tacoma, an undeveloped lakefront property, or a boat? Or should I invest in lottery tickets so that I can buy all three?
    Hm. Sounds like the kind of thing you mull over quite a bit before committing.

Some things to think about vis-a-vis property... 1) They're not making anymore; 2) You will almost certainly see some appreciation on the value, particularly if you build on it at all; 3) It's never crowded; 4) A private spot in the trees is a great counterpoint to public places on the water; 5) Land market is lagging the rest of the real estate market -- great deals are out there today.

I vote waterfront property. Best value return and American as hell.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by TheZagPhish View Post

Some things to think about vis-a-vis property... 1) They're not making anymore; 2) You will almost certainly see some appreciation on the value, particularly if you build on it at all; 3) It's never crowded; 4) A private spot in the trees is a great counterpoint to public places on the water; 5) Land market is lagging the rest of the real estate market -- great deals are out there today.

All good points, thanks!
    Bring back the OCC

I would think there's less upkeep/insurance needed for the undeveloped property. If you do eventually put a house on it (or honestly, even without one) you could probably rent it out for a week here or there when you're not using it and make some of your investment back. My friends that have cabins (and had them in their family growing up) love the quick weekend get away from the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    I would think there's less upkeep/insurance needed for the undeveloped property. If you do eventually put a house on it (or honestly, even without one) you could probably rent it out for a week here or there when you're not using it and make some of your investment back. My friends that have cabins (and had them in their family growing up) love the quick weekend get away from the city.
    But be sure and check into a liability umbrella with your insurance co. Lakefront property might be like an attractive nuisance, where you are liable if strangers trespass and drown in your unfenced swimming pool or unlocked hot tub or even trespass (say in our woods) and fall and break their neck.

Not that we have had it happen, but if it did, we are prepared.

ZaGranny

I would also recommend no trespassing signs
    Formerly ID ZAGFAN--now officially ZaGranny.

I put my 1 year old to bed tonight, tomorrow I'm going to see a 2 year old in his room...and he'll have probably climbed out of his crib and be sitting on the dresser lol.

"It's a girl my Lord in a flatbed Ford..."
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

"Cuz I'm a voodoo child, voodooo child, Lord knows I'm voodoo child..."
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Yeah, that's what I envision, and when I retire it could be a place I stayed for like half of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ZaGranny View Post
    But be sure and check into a liability umbrella with your insurance co. Lakefront property might be like an attractive nuisance, where you are liable if strangers trespass and drown in your unfenced swimming pool or unlocked hot tub or even trespass (say in our woods) and fall and break their neck.

Not that we have had it happen, but if it did, we are prepared.

ZaGranny

I would also recommend no trespassing signs
    Good things to research, Thanks!
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by TheZagPhish View Post

Plus you can get drunk all you want on your waterfront property. You get arrested for doing that in your (un-American) Toyota Tacoma.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Leaving work at 3:15 so I can ensure I am home with time to spare for tonight's Pitt game. . .

The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Plus you can get drunk all you want on your waterfront property. You get arrested for doing that in your (un-American) Toyota Tacoma.
    good point

I have a Chevy truck right now, but it's too big for my garage. The new Colorado/Canyon is super expensive though I really like it. I would love to get the new diesel they have in that truck.
    Bring back the OCC

Bill Walton is awful tonight. I just had to turn off the UW game.
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    I have been looking at a lot of lakefront property. I have found some lots without homes on them for under $50k which would make the payment pretty reasonable. I think that eventually I would buy a tiny home and place it on the property. Until then I can camp there or buy an inexpensive camp trailer to put there. I was going to buy a new vehicle, but I figured I would rather have lake property than a nice car for the same payment. We went and looked at a few places yesterday. My wife suggested last night that instead of buying a lake property that we just buy a boat and go to whatever lake we want. She pointed out that the reason I want a lakefront property is so I can eventually have a boat there. What do you think? Should I buy a new Toyota Tacoma, an undeveloped lakefront property, or a boat? Or should I invest in lottery tickets so that I can buy all three?
    Isnt there a quote about owning a boat,.........something like " the happiest day in the life of a boat owner is the day he sells it" Id go for the property.

Just thought I'd share something fun I made for one of my husband's coworkers. I make these ponchos for kids in car seats because they say they shouldn't wear thick winter coats under the harness, these go over the harness. His coworker is a big Ohio State fan and his wife likes Michigan State, so they'll be dressing their daughter in whoever wins today's colors. He even had the fabric shipped to his office so he could surprise her with it.
    I'm really proud of how I did the pocket on the Ohio State side, matched the print up perfectly.

Not too sad about THE Ohio State University taking THE loss today. . .hee hee.

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Not too sad about THE Ohio State University taking THE loss today. . .hee hee.
    I know haha...part of me wants to poke the bear and ask for a picture of her in her new Spartans coat. I put the pockets on the inside of the coats, so technically that is wearing it the correct way bahaha.

I know haha...part of me wants to poke the bear and ask for a picture of her in her new Spartans coat. I put the pockets on the inside of the coats, so technically that is wearing it the correct way bahaha.
    Well played.

Just bought my first new car a few days ago. I love driving around knowing I don't have to worry about potential mechanical issues. Looks nice too.
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.
    Steven Wright

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2012
    Foo Fantasy Football Last Place Champ 2013

Quote Originally Posted by bullzag23 View Post
    Just bought my first new car a few days ago. I love driving around knowing I don't have to worry about potential mechanical issues. Looks nice too.
    Congrats. That's a terrific feeling!
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Congrats!
    Bring back the OCC

Plus you get to experience the new car smell.
    You can't make a half sandwich. If it's not half of a whole sandwich, it's just a small sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroop22 View Post
    Plus you get to experience the new car smell.
    Thanks folks!

Here she(or her cousin, really) is:

As for the new car smell, you can always simulate it:
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.
    Steven Wright

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2012
    Foo Fantasy Football Last Place Champ 2013

Congrats on the vehicle.

I'm just getting anxious at my desk while waiting for tip-off.

Thanks folks!

Here she(or her cousin, really) is:

As for the new car smell, you can always simulate it:
    My cousin just bought one of those, very nice ride.
    Bring back the OCC

Two years in a row I have been out of town for the black Friday release of Goose Island Bourbon County. This makes me very sad. If anyone knows of a bottle shop that will be selling Goose Island in Reno please let me know.
    Bring back the OCC