Page 248 of 249 FirstFirst ... 148198238244245246247248249 LastLast
Results 6,176 to 6,200 of 6212

Thread: If you think it, post it

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    I dissappoved a whole slew of user requests this morning. I am really hoping I didn't accidentally hit the wrong button and approve instead of disapprove!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    When in doubt, do this...

“There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    It’s all good. Glad to see the guys who usually attack the mods are now thanking us.
    There are not many that usually attack the mods.

Most of us know you have a thankless job.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

If you have tweens of teens that are acting up at the mall or grocery store, threaten to start dancing until they stop being twisted freaks. No music necessary, just start up a Gangman style thing, they shut up fast.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I love when my kids say something that I was thinking, but was too embarrassed to say.

Today at the museum passing by modern art...
    5 year old: "that painting has jimmies on it."

It did. I don't know what the artist was actually painting, but it looker exactly like a close up of jimmies on a donut.

I am just a very angry person today. Very angry. That is as much as I will get into it. Thank God I am going to Jamaica on Friday.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

I am just a very angry person today. Very angry. That is as much as I will get into it. Thank God I am going to Jamaica on Friday.
    Yep. And that's all I am going to add.
    Mark Twain.

I'm pretty ticked too. They want to send hubby back to LA this weekend. We were already planning to take the kids to a water park this Friday. School starts on the 20th but for all intents and purposes it starts on the 15th because we have back to school sh!t the parents/kids are supposed to attend on the 15th, 16th, and 17th. So basically if we don't do something this weekend, we don't get to at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    I'm pretty ticked too. They want to send hubby back to LA this weekend. We were already planning to take the kids to a water park this Friday. School starts on the 20th but for all intents and purposes it starts on the 15th because we have back to school sh!t the parents/kids are supposed to attend on the 15th, 16th, and 17th. So basically if we don't do something this weekend, we don't get to at all.
    That's not what LIZF and I were upset with, but it sure doesn't help.

WE bought school supplies this week bc school starts next week in the deep south. (maybe time for my Bold prediction thread, but I usually wait until Gonzaga starts again).

Anyway, I found out that her school supplies cost $180.

Granted, my wife bought them and she and I often don't see eye to eye about "good money" spent. Shoes? Yes. Pencils - generic, as far as I'm concerned.

Regardless, only here in the "Sipp" are schools so underfunded that she is buying what I consider basic supplies. We never had to buy more than $50 worth in Spokane.

Throw in new clothes, new backpack, new shoes, haircut, all that, and most families here cannot afford that. I guess that is why the Rotary and Jr. League (that wife is in) will do grants for near anyone.

Taxes no. But Rotary will spend $10,000 on school supplies. Amazing.

And maddening.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    That's not what LIZF and I were upset with, but it sure doesn't help.

WE bought school supplies this week bc school starts next week in the deep south. (maybe time for my Bold prediction thread, but I usually wait until Gonzaga starts again).

Anyway, I found out that her school supplies cost $180.

Granted, my wife bought them and she and I often don't see eye to eye about "good money" spent. Shoes? Yes. Pencils - generic, as far as I'm concerned.

Regardless, only here in the "Sipp" are schools so underfunded that she is buying what I consider basic supplies. We never had to buy more than $50 worth in Spokane.

Throw in new clothes, new backpack, new shoes, haircut, all that, and most families here cannot afford that. I guess that is why the Rotary and Jr. League (that wife is in) will do grants for near anyone.

Taxes no. But Rotary will spend $10,000 on school supplies. Amazing.

And maddening.
    I'm assuming it was something on the MBB? I don't even open that tab very often anymore.
    I haven't even looked at the school supply list because we followed it one year and the teacher said we didn't even need what we bought, so it really depends on the teacher. I try to stock up when I see good sales so we can just see what we have when we hear what the actual teacher wants for the kid and the classroom. Same with clothes, I always try to buy the size ahead when I see something cheap. We're good on shirts $1 thanks to Old Navy and some knock off All Star low tops (thanks to our Kmart going out of business) until our oldest is in men's sized shoes lol. Clearance rack shopping is my drug of choice. And hand me downs seems to be the advantage of having 3 boys.

I'm assuming it was something on the MBB? I don't even open that tab very often anymore.
    I haven't even looked at the school supply list because we followed it one year and the teacher said we didn't even need what we bought, so it really depends on the teacher. I try to stock up when I see good sales so we can just see what we have when we hear what the actual teacher wants for the kid and the classroom. Same with clothes, I always try to buy the size ahead when I see something cheap. We're good on shirts $1 thanks to Old Navy and some knock off All Star low tops (thanks to our Kmart going out of business) until our oldest is in men's sized shoes lol. Clearance rack shopping is my drug of choice. And hand me downs seems to be the advantage of having 3 boys.
    No, but it's no big deal. Just "stuff."

Good for you, I wish I had that kind of foresight. I will buy very good shoes for her, so if I see some quality Nikes or Under Armor I will buy them ahead of time even when big on her. And I will spend money to get her a very good haircut. Even blowouts, though I usually do those for her. (A dad who gives his daughter blow outs? Come on, that's gotta warm your heart).

Buying good shoes saves money in the long run, bc they're good for her feet, and they don't wear out after 6 weeks.
    Mark Twain.

No, but it's no big deal. Just "stuff."

Good for you, I wish I had that kind of foresight. I will buy very good shoes for her, so if I see some quality Nikes or Under Armor I will buy them ahead of time even when big on her. And I will spend money to get her a very good haircut. Even blowouts, though I usually do those for her. (A dad who gives his daughter blow outs? Come on, that's gotta warm your heart).

Buying good shoes saves money in the long run, bc they're good for her feet, and they don't wear out after 6 weeks.
    I feel like all boys shoes wear out quickly lol, even the good ones (and then they just blame it on boys being rough on things lol, my oldest definitely isn't, but my middle is haha). I should take them to the podiatrist to get good insoles and just switch those out with whatever shoes they're wearing, hopefully that'll help any future foot issues.
    Hair is another reason I am thankful for boys haha. I do not think I would have the skill or patience to do a girl's hair well every morning. Mine is usually just thrown in a ponytail, and while I've heard of blowouts and which salons to go to for them, I don't know exactly what all is involved outside of a blow-dryer haha, I can't do the whole hair dryer while brushing thing without tangling my hair in the brush, so if that's a blowout that is not happening here! My middle son has finally started getting his dad's curls so we've let his hair grow out this summer. I basically spritz some water with a tiny bit of conditioner on it in the morning, scrunch, and then his curls magically appear. I really don't want to cut it because this is the first any of my boys have had curls, I'll probably just give it a little trim before school starts so it isn't in his eyes.

I feel like all boys shoes wear out quickly lol, even the good ones (and then they just blame it on boys being rough on things lol, my oldest definitely isn't, but my middle is haha). I should take them to the podiatrist to get good insoles and just switch those out with whatever shoes they're wearing, hopefully that'll help any future foot issues.
    Hair is another reason I am thankful for boys haha. I do not think I would have the skill or patience to do a girl's hair well every morning. Mine is usually just thrown in a ponytail, and while I've heard of blowouts and which salons to go to for them, I don't know exactly what all is involved outside of a blow-dryer haha, I can't do the whole hair dryer while brushing thing without tangling my hair in the brush, so if that's a blowout that is not happening here! My middle son has finally started getting his dad's curls so we've let his hair grow out this summer. I basically spritz some water with a tiny bit of conditioner on it in the morning, scrunch, and then his curls magically appear. I really don't want to cut it because this is the first any of my boys have had curls, I'll probably just give it a little trim before school starts so it isn't in his eyes.
    Oh, I don't cut it. I get the good haircut from someone that will take the time to do it just right.

The blowouts are only about 3x a week, and involve a technique of using a drying a bit differently brushing underneath the hair and then "blowing it out" as a way to make it fuller, and not just for that day. It keeps tangles down for several days, and allows the conditioner that she uses every morning settle in more strongly. At least, that's what I read.

I do them bc my wife had no interest (and she doesn't do hers either), and I just thought that she'd grow up thinking her dad was a bit cool. It is far more about bonding than about hair.

Boys ARE way easier on many issues.

But for me, I find having a daughter 10x easier. If I had a boy, I worry I would feel pressure to push him more in areas I wanted, the sports and extra-curricular stuff. But, with a daughter, I get the advantage of just loving her to death and letting her find her own path. She still has to do 2 extra-curricular activities a week, but I praise any choice at all.

I appreciate having a mom to run this by besides my wife. She does a great job and I love her very much, but outside opinions from a friend are always good.

Wish I had more stuff to pass along about boys, but you and your husband seem to be doing well more than "alright" on your very own.
    Mark Twain.

OK... so most of you know I work at Long Island University. Well last night I get a text that they are closing the campuses due to a threat on 4chan, deemed not credible by the FBI, out an abundance of caution. Guess where I am... oh... that's right... work. Why? Because where I work is not technically a campus and I am guess that we don't fall under the abundance of caution. Never felt so "expendable" in my life.

Look, I get it, the FBI didn't find it credible and they even said we shouldn't close. But if you are going to go out there and say your are closing to play it safe... what does it say about what you feel about your employees?
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Oh, I don't cut it. I get the good haircut from someone that will take the time to do it just right.

The blowouts are only about 3x a week, and involve a technique of using a drying a bit differently brushing underneath the hair and then "blowing it out" as a way to make it fuller, and not just for that day. It keeps tangles down for several days, and allows the conditioner that she uses every morning settle in more strongly. At least, that's what I read.

I do them bc my wife had no interest (and she doesn't do hers either), and I just thought that she'd grow up thinking her dad was a bit cool. It is far more about bonding than about hair.

Boys ARE way easier on many issues.

But for me, I find having a daughter 10x easier. If I had a boy, I worry I would feel pressure to push him more in areas I wanted, the sports and extra-curricular stuff. But, with a daughter, I get the advantage of just loving her to death and letting her find her own path. She still has to do 2 extra-curricular activities a week, but I praise any choice at all.

I appreciate having a mom to run this by besides my wife. She does a great job and I love her very much, but outside opinions from a friend are always good.

Wish I had more stuff to pass along about boys, but you and your husband seem to be doing well more than "alright" on your very own.
    I feel the same way about if we had had a girl. I'm not sure I would be a good mom for a "girly-girl" because that would be hard for me to relate to. We try to let them pick whatever extra curriculars they're interested in but there's not a lot in the way of sports at their ages just yet (one thing I really miss about our Catholic school). They just started piano 2 weeks ago, so we'll see how devoted they are to that. Dave and I aren't musical at all, so it's not something we can really help them with.

OK... so most of you know I work at Long Island University. Well last night I get a text that they are closing the campuses due to a threat on 4chan, deemed not credible by the FBI, out an abundance of caution. Guess where I am... oh... that's right... work. Why? Because where I work is not technically a campus and I am guess that we don't fall under the abundance of caution. Never felt so "expendable" in my life.

Look, I get it, the FBI didn't find it credible and they even said we shouldn't close. But if you are going to go out there and say your are closing to play it safe... what does it say about what you feel about your employees?
    That's ridiculous, I would be irritated as well. I'll be completely honest, I'm usually pretty good about going on about living life normally and not letting news get to me. Last weekend had me shaken. We took the kids to the museum and the diaper bag had a couple of first aid type items in it if God forbid we had to deal with a gunshot wound. I can't imagine working after hearing about any threat (even if the FBI isn't concerned).

I like having longer hair. I have tried a few times but never made it very far. I’m nearly to my shoulder now. I don’t think my wife is a huge fan, but she’s coming around.
    Bring back the OCC

Why is ESPN 2 broadcasting Arena Football when there is perfectly good outdoor Canadian football league games going on right now?

Why does YouTube continue to add more "ads" than even TV - now 2 for some vids?

How does rain fall from the sky in situations where you can't even really see a cloud, as happens down here in late afternoon?

Just a few of the things going through my head right now. Answers are not necessary, but always interested.
    Mark Twain.

So went to use our new-ish grain mill (Phish's) for the second time on Saturday. Learned a few things on it... one... get mill going before grain goes in... otherwise it doesn't like to work that well. Two, hold FIRMLY onto the power drill attached to said mill... lest you put 15 pounds of relatively expensive grain all over you garage and driveway after the mill goes flying off its base.

Phish... can't thank you enough for that and all the equipment. Big rig is next month... had to go old school to make sure we got beers done for this month and we need to figure out temperature controls for the fermentor. Going to buy a glycol chiller/pump/temperature controller and then get the chilling coil for the fermentor. Just the change in doing our own milling has added so much to our efficiency it isn't even funny. Every beer we've made using the mill are coming in at 1.065 or higher starting gravity. May need to start dialing back recipes a touch.

Happy Labor Day!
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    Happy Labor Day!
    Back at ya. Having a pleasant day so far. Having lunch with one of my sisters-in-law. Grilled hot dogs, summer salad, chips & homemade salsa. . .

Life is good !

Basketball Web Sites Listing

"The most interesting place exists between how people see themselves and how other people do." -- Wright Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Back at ya. Having a pleasant day so far. Having lunch with one of my sisters-in-law. Grilled hot dogs, summer salad, chips & homemade salsa. . .

Life is good !
    Sounds great! We are just being lazy today, relaxing around the tv. I have some chicken marinating and will barbecue later.
    Bring back the OCC

I think having a Cat 5 hurricane sitting on top of your low lying island going one mile per hour is pretty close to the definition of hell. Keep those poor people in mind. I read that they believe that many people on Albacor - the one that got 185 mph winds, were simply washed out to sea as their homes collapsed.

That makes one shake to think about. I was in one that moved about 10 mph, but was huge, and it took most of a day. Freeport might well spend 2 days under this thing.
    Mark Twain.

I think having a Cat 5 hurricane sitting on top of your low lying island going one mile per hour is pretty close to the definition of hell. Keep those poor people in mind. I read that they believe that many people on Albacor - the one that got 185 mph winds, were simply washed out to sea as their homes collapsed.

That makes one shake to think about. I was in one that moved about 10 mph, but was huge, and it took most of a day. Freeport might well spend 2 days under this thing.
    Were you down there during Katrina?
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    Were you down there during Katrina?
    Yes, but I was 55 miles inland. I was within 110 mph sustained winds, and Katrina was so big that it took near an entire day, power went out about 9:00 a.m., worst was about 12:00 p.m., and then finally clearing up about 6:00 p.m. (relative, still blowing hard).

I cannot imagine having a 160 imph storm sitting right above you for an entire day. Or a 185 one going through slowly. They say people on Albacor are likely mostly washed out to sea.

I only had to avoid having a tree fall on me. The storm surge would terrify me, I have never been in that, never would.

It is the loudest natural sound you have ever heard, and it never quits.
    Mark Twain.

Been through Irene and Sandy... both were Cat 1 by the time the hit. Irene came and went fairly quickly. Sandy was bad... she was SOOOO huge and slow that we got Cat 1/TS winds and surge for a good 12 hours. I live fairly inland on the Island, so surge was a non-issue for me, but have friends and family that definitely had issues. Couldn't imagine having a Cat 5/4 sitting over a spot for a whole day. Devastation must be enormous.